To Fast or Not to Fast (& when) that is my question...

Options
2»

Replies

• StarshipFighter23
    StarshipFighter23 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm a 16:8 keto faster too! I've never been a big breakfast eater, so I have keto coffee in the morning and don't eat until after 2.00pm. As I'm quite hectically busy with various activities and projects at the moment I can't always get my dinner as early as I'd like, but if it gets to 9-10pm and I haven't eaten I don't beat myself up too much if I don't leave the full 16 hours until I eat again! I have over the past few of weeks also had at least 1, sometimes 2 sub-500cal fasting days per week too, usually at weekends. I first tried it to kickstart weight-loss during a 10 day stall, and it seems to have worked - following the fast I lost 4lb and have continued to steadily lose since then...
  • erin3011
    erin3011 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast, sort of. I make myself a brunch everyday. So, I eat dinner then don't eat again until noon the next day. I love breakfast food, so it makes a great option to break my fasting. Since it is two meals in one, I make it pretty big. h4hc4zygr1gi.jpg
    Skipping breakfast works for me because my mornings are so hectic, and I've been skipping breakfast naturally my entire life. If I wake up absolutely starving or have some physically hard work scheduled, I have keto coffee instead but that doesn't happen often.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I do IF 2 to 3 days a week. My reason is to help increase insulin sensitivity in my cells (aka lower insulin resistance).

It's interesting to me when I read about someone doing 16:8 fast. This was the norm when many of us were growing up. Snacks were rare, perhaps popcorn on a Saturday evening watching TV. We didn't have snacks when we went to the movie theatre either. 3 meals a day and no snacks was our norm. Now it is considered a fast.

• suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    So for anyone who does a 16:8 or similar fast schedule: Out of curiosity, when you have an 8 hour food window, do you eat 2 or 3 meals during that time or do you include snacks, too? No judgement, just wonder what that looks like. I'm thinking of suggesting something like this to my DH who has been eating keto but tends to graze throughout the days when he isn't at work. He doesn't want to do 24 or 36 hr IF like I do. :)
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    So for anyone who does a 16:8 or similar fast schedule: Out of curiosity, when you have an 8 hour food window, do you eat 2 or 3 meals during that time or do you include snacks, too? No judgement, just wonder what that looks like. I'm thinking of suggesting something like this to my DH who has been eating keto but tends to graze throughout the days when he isn't at work. He doesn't want to do 24 or 36 hr IF like I do. :)

I do 2 meals, no snacks - 1 meal at around 1pm and 1 at around 7 pm.

I tend to get closer to an 18:6 schedule most days, but I don't stress it, I eat if I'm hungry in the morning.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options

Depends on my hunger signals. I will always eat breakfast/lunch between noon and 1 PM, and I eat supper sometime after I get home from work usually no earlier than 6 PM, but sometimes as late as 8 PM. If I am hungry between the two or after supper I will snack, but it is not a usual thing.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

I generally eat lunch between 11:30 and noon and then dinner around 6-6:30. Two or three times a week I might have a snack between if lunch was smallish as it is usually the larger of the two meals.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between 1-8pm...lunch, snack, dinner...