Hi! I'm new here.

Options
Violet_Flux
Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post introductions / greetings here, but I'm primarily interested in LCHF so this is the group I've been hanging out (lurking) in for a bit. I apologize if this is the wrong place for this post.

I'm new here, and new to MFP, but not new to low-carb dieting. My first experience was (many) years ago with a Dr Bernstein program. More recently, I began just a normal diet-and-excercise program, which stalled after a while, so my sister suggested I transition to LCHF.

That was in August 2016, and originally I wasn't counting, measuring, or weighing anything. Just checking labels and eyeballing portions. And it worked, till January 2017 when it stopped. Then she convinced me to try MFP and start logging everything. That has made a difference and got me moving in the right direction again.

In addition to the diet, I excercise daily. I used to walk at least 1 hour every day, but recently developed plantar fasciitis and was forced to stop walking. Now I cycle every day, my goal is still 1 hour daily. Indoors for the moment, outdoors when it's nice enough.

This isn't just a lose-weight-then-stop sort of plan for me, I'm focused on making it a permanent way of life. LCHF as well as excercise. I'm in it for the long term.

My numbers are... well I'm not proud of how bad I was when I started, but I'm working to fix that. :smile:
I'm 47 years old, 5'8", female.
Starting weight: 425 lbs (Nov 2015)
Current weight: 287 lbs
Goal weight: 175 lbs

I set that goal as it was a 'nice round number', and it seemed attainable. I may revise it in the future as things unfold, but basically it meant I was trying to lose 250 lbs. And I recently crossed the 50% point, so I'm rather pleased about that.

In terms of my diet, I've set my calorie limit at 1300 per day, though I rarely reach that. I tend to be 1100-1200 by the end of the day. I'm using 20g net-carbs as my limit, but I've been able to keep it well under that lately. Usually under 15g net.

I do use ketostix twice a week just to 'verify' though I have read lots of mixed information on their effectiveness. I already have them, so I may as well use them. I only weigh-in once a week, first thing Sunday mornings.

Cheers!

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! This is a wonderful group of supportive and scarily knowledgeable folks. :heart:
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    This is the perfect place for your post and welcome!! Congratulations on your success so far and your overall commitment to health!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You've done very well so far! Congrats on all your progress toward feeling awesome!
    It sounds like you've really gotten your head around what it takes for long term success and maintenance. Which I think is a willingness to adapt, make changes, challenge yourself and most important, patience!

As far as the urine sticks go, if you enjoy the feedback then use them. No need to explain. I sometimes just want to see it for some reason. I don't care if it's necessary or not! I don't believe the color is important though. Any color indicates ketosis. You won't get a false positive from them. It IS possible to get false negatives. Just be aware of that when using them.

Welcome to the group! It's truly a unique community here.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Wow....Congratulations on your progress so far...You should be proud of what you've been able to achieve.....
  • StarshipFighter23
    StarshipFighter23 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Welcome! And well done for your progress so far. Hopefully with the app and the brilliant community support here you'll make it to your targets! I know that it's helping me - I've done keto several times in the past but have usually given up on it once I hit a stall, usually having lost 20-25lb, which then crept back on over the following year or so. This is the first time I've used the app in support of my diet and I've found it amazingly useful - calorie and macro counts are really good tools for making sure i'm eating appropriately and the community is great; everyone is pulling in the same direction and really happy to offer support and advice. I really feel like this time I'm going to make it stick, and that I'll be able to maintain after the weight loss period because I have the tools to make a real success of it this time!
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Steph_Maks wrote: »
    My numbers are... well I'm not proud of how bad I was when I started, but I'm working to fix that. :smile:
    I'm 47 years old, 5'8", female.
    Starting weight: 425 lbs (Nov 2015)
    Current weight: 287 lbs
    Goal weight: 175 lbs

In terms of my diet, I've set my calorie limit at 1300 per day, though I rarely reach that. I tend to be 1100-1200 by the end of the day. I'm using 20g net-carbs as my limit, but I've been able to keep it well under that lately. Usually under 15g net.

I do use ketostix twice a week just to 'verify' though I have read lots of mixed information on their effectiveness. I already have them, so I may as well use them. I only weigh-in once a week, first thing Sunday mornings.

Cheers!

Wow, I'm excited for you just looking at how far you've come! Those numbers are really looking good! :)

I lost weight on LCHF but stalled when I still needed to lose around 15 or so pounds. I was keeping track of my calories too but it wasn't until I went to 20g net carbs a day that I saw the rest of that weight come off. My calorie intake is 1350 which was good until I reached maintenance. Now…..for the first time in YEARS….I'm having to try to eat more to gain some weight so that I don't go too low. Glorious problem, lol. This WOE is delicious and keeps me full all day so there's no problem with being hungry all the time like other diet programs. Plus, my skin and hair are so soft now. I walk for exercise and do an exercise program called PACE. At 60 years of age, I'm wishing I had known about this WOE a long, LONG time ago.

WELCOME!!!
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    This group is awesome. Dont listen to me though for I am a newbie! You will find some super knowledgeable people here (who correct me 90% of the time! - rightfully so). GLTY!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Those are some awesome results so far. I am glad to read you are looking for a long term change and not a "diet" the way many are. I believe it is imperative people understand that going back to the SAD will put you right back to where you were or worse every time. I just never understand how people can be surprised when they hit their goal, then go back to the way they were eating/exercising before and then gain all the weight back and then some.

If you haven't done so already, go to the launch pad on the main screen of this forum. There are more resources there than you can imagine. Many have contributed and our awesome group leaders like @baconslave have done a great job organizing it. There are links to everything from research backing up this WOE to recipes to tips, to resources for diabetics, etc.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    WOW your doing so well

I've only just joined this group but I've slowly been reading through the different threads and it's really helping me
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    A big shout out to you @Steph_Maks. I love a success story and you are definitely a success story. Welcome!
  • RAC56
    Options
    johnnylew wrote: »
    This group is awesome. Dont listen to me though for I am a newbie! You will find some super knowledgeable people here (who correct me 90% of the time! - rightfully so). GLTY!

Welcome to you too, Newbie! Always glad to see a new member join in. :)
  • RAC56
    Options
    croftie4 wrote: »
    WOW your doing so well

I've only just joined this group but I've slowly been reading through the different threads and it's really helping me

Another Newbie! WELCOME!! :)
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all for the kind words of welcome!
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Excellent job!