Can you smell the carbs?

Options
swezeytba
swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
So I'm at work and my co-worker just heated up her lunch. I don't know what it is, but just from the smell I can tell that it is something very carby.....Potatoes or noodles if I had to narrow it down....

I wonder if our sense of smell becomes sensitized as well? Any thoughts? :)

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I have found my sense of smell, but more so my sense of taste is much better now. For the last 23-24 years or so (which was how long ago I broke my nose for the 3rd time), I have had a poor sense of smell and my sense of taste was somewhat muted. Now, I can eat something new and really taste the ingredients. This has helped me reverse engineer some foods I have had at restaurants that I liked but wanted to make at home - usually with some modifications for my personal taste.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've become more sensitive to the smell of fat. I know I used to smell fast foods joints, but it's more intense and delicious now.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I actually just gagged at the smell of marshmallow fluff a little bit ago. We have a fondue thing for birthdays at work today, and it was among the stuff. Overpowering as all get out.
  • swezeytba
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I actually just gagged at the smell of marshmallow fluff a little bit ago. We have a fondue thing for birthdays at work today, and it was among the stuff. Overpowering as all get out.

LOL....Been awhile since I've been around any of that I guess.....Who knew it had such a strong smell! :)
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Zucchini tasted super sweet to me the other day. And cabbage, too. Not missing the donuts and pop I used to have all too often!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    cawood2 wrote: »
    Zucchini tasted super sweet to me the other day. And cabbage, too. Not missing the donuts and pop I used to have all too often!

I also noticed some foods tasted sweet after not eating carbs for a while - i.e. celery, cashews (which I generally don't eat because they are higher carb than I like). I think the taste buds for sweet get numbed for most people because of the overload of sweet foods out there. It is like an alcoholic who needs more alcohol to get a buzz. Carboholics need more sweet to be able to taste sweet.
  • swezeytba
    Options
    My sister-in-law has been following a (semi) low carb diet....definitely not keto, but she said she has always like Miracle Whip but it's now too sweet for her.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    If I walk down the candy aisle I can. It just smells like powdered, too sweet yuck.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I can totally smell it. Bananas are overpowering. I regularly set up workshop snax with muffins and biscuits and lollies and the sugar smell is so strong. My co-workers think I'm weird, they can't smell it.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I have a very poor sense of smell, but lately anything sweet is starting to smell sickly and I am totally going off most sweets and leaning towards savouries instead.

Funny thing about carbs: I love crisps OMG they are my downfall, but lately they do not taste that good. I might have stolen a few off my colleagues, but the flavours are not as I recall them. I can only describe it as ordering a glass of fizzy drink and being served a flat one? If that makes sense?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I have had this love affair with crisps since I was a child, I was expecting to go off sweet stuff once I went low carbs but not that my tastebuds would change so much that my favourite treat now is no longer that special. I am down to well salted popcorn only, the last old treat that I have yet to go off. But even popcorn is no longer irresistible. I can totally go to the cinema without any cravings at all. This comes from me who used to have her own popcorn maker!

Low carb should come with a warning:

Warning: your old treats will start tasting like rubbish in no time
  • ddeliciosa
    ddeliciosa Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. I'm slowly transitioning to low carb - (started limiting to 100g last week, 75g this week.. end goal of 25g). Today my friend heated up her white rice and it was so pungent.
  • swezeytba
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »

So true....so true.....
  • TishaGettinFit
    TishaGettinFit Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    A coworker brought in homemade mac n cheese the other day. He put a little ketchup on it and even though I was nowhere near all I could smell was the sweet ketchup. Nobody could get over how I could smell it. I was in the next room complaining how the place stunk of ketchup...lol
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    cawood2 wrote: »

I also noticed some foods tasted sweet after not eating carbs for a while - i.e. celery, cashews (which I generally don't eat because they are higher carb than I like). I think the taste buds for sweet get numbed for most people because of the overload of sweet foods out there. It is like an alcoholic who needs more alcohol to get a buzz. Carboholics need more sweet to be able to taste sweet.

Yes, definitely! I noticed the sweetness in veggies coming out so much more once I'd been keto for a few weeks.
  • tierrafuego
    tierrafuego Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The cake mixes aisle in the grocery store just about knocked me out yesterday. (I was headed to the end for the super-dark, yummy straight-up chocolate). Absolutely think sense of smell is heightened.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    Bonny132 wrote: »

So true....so true.....

So not true for me, darn it! LOL

I'm like my mother who gave up smoking. She used to siddle up to people with a cigarette and just breathe deeply. LOL I still love my sweets and sugars. They still taste all too wonderful... But I must admit the sweet does smell and taste a bit sweeter now. I am a sugar lover so that doesn't seem bad to me. ;)
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I had a McDonald's hazelnut coffee and McGriddle the other day but I felt nauseous from all the sugar.