Tasty Low Carb Pancakes

Options
Bonny132
Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
Has anyone got any scrummy low carb pancake recipes without protein powder?
Pancake Tuesday is coming up, so I simply have to make the annual pancakes without breaking the carb bank or buying protein powder.

Replies

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have never used these as actual "pancakes" because I like'em FLUFFY, but I'm picky and these are really popular. I make them as savory crepes for lunch/supper dishes lol: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Keto pancakes are essentially made with cream cheese, eggs, vanilla extract, sugar substitute, and cinnamon. I have made them a couple of times and they are not bad :) If you Google keto pancakes you will find a lot of recipes.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    2 eggs
    2 oz cream cheese
    1 tbsp coconut flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    Stevia, vanilla extract and cinnamon to taste
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I make pancakes for my kids a few times per week. I usually add a couple of scoops of protein powder but you can skip it.

1/4-1/3 c melted coconut oil
    ~1.5 c whole milk or cream with water (warmed so it doesn't make the coconut oil harden LOL) - can be as low as 1 c or as high as 2 c of liquid
    5-6 eggs
    1/2 c coconut flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1-2 droppers full of stevia
    1 tsp vanilla
    salt
    1/4 c chia seeds
    1/4 c hemp hearts
    1/2 c flax meal
    1 tsp-1 Tbs cinnamon

I often also add:
    1-2 scoops protein powder
    1-2 bananas
    some sugar free chocolate chips for a treat

I sometimes add a 1/4 c gluten-free flour mix if I want them fluffier. These are pretty heavy pan cakes.

It's lower carb. I don't often eat it (ketogenic diet) but I'll sometimes have half a pancake with butter on it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ~1.5 c whole milk or cream with water (warmed so it doesn't make the coconut oil harden LOL)

Now THAT is a worthy tip for sure! :p

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ~1.5 c whole milk or cream with water (warmed so it doesn't make the coconut oil harden LOL)

Now THAT is a worthy tip for sure! :p

I added cold milk and water once. Yuck Coconut oil chunks.... I had to put it in the blender to get rid of them. LOL
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    eggs and cream cheese made into pancakes...like a fried cheesecake...sounds yummy, totally going to have to try that...
  • Bonny132
    Options
    Thanks guys, tried a few and it was instant dislike. Found lots of recipes calling for a large amount of various flours and weird ingredients, so wanted something that would taste great. I'll be trying out some of these. Yum! Love pancake day, really been missing my pancakes. Love savoury ones.

With lightly fried mince or crispy bacon, pour over pancake batter and enjoy, fried in bacon fat of course mmmmm served with a fried egg and sausages and more bacon on the side.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Here is one using almond flour (I'm always disappointed with consistency of coconut flour goods) and going by the picture... they are FLUFFY. I am often quite happy with ruledme recipes. http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/03/dirty-blondie-pancake-stack-low-carb-gluten-free-guest-post-ruledme.html

I have a great gluten-free protein pancake that I used to like, but its not very low carb... uses rolled oats, banana & cottage cheese. :( Your post above has made me hungry.
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yum! Have to try some of these.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I have never used these as actual "pancakes" because I like'em FLUFFY, but I'm picky and these are really popular. I make them as savory crepes for lunch/supper dishes lol: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html

I love these! I first made them for Pancake Tuesday last year. ;)
  • imajollyroger
    imajollyroger Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I do 2 oz cream cheese, 2 eggs, 1 Tbsp coconut flour, 1 tsp baking powder for some fluff, 1 Tbsp vanilla extract (not necessary). "Pan fry" in butter, top with lots of melted butter because they are "drier" than normal pancakes. Then I eat with whipped heavy cream, peanut butter, and strawberries. You can double the recipe with 4 oz cream cheese, 4 eggs, and 2 Tbs coconut flour... What I love about this recipe is it will seriously fill you up and you won't be hungry. What I don't like about it is the "dryness". The whipped heavy cream, butter, peanut butter, and strawberries help.
  • StarshipFighter23
    StarshipFighter23 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do 3 eggs and 4.5oz (or 125g) of Mascarpone cheese, whisk to a batter and then fry. I usually have them savoury with bacon and cheese... VERY high calorie but awesomely tasty!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I do 2 oz cream cheese, 2 eggs, 1 Tbsp coconut flour, 1 tsp baking powder for some fluff, 1 Tbsp vanilla extract (not necessary). "Pan fry" in butter, top with lots of melted butter because they are "drier" than normal pancakes. Then I eat with whipped heavy cream, peanut butter, and strawberries. You can double the recipe with 4 oz cream cheese, 4 eggs, and 2 Tbs coconut flour... What I love about this recipe is it will seriously fill you up and you won't be hungry. What I don't like about it is the "dryness". The whipped heavy cream, butter, peanut butter, and strawberries help.

I wonder if adding a little heavy cream to the batter would help the dryness some?
  • Bonny132
    Options
    Bump as tomorrow is pancake day! :D
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/cream-cheese-pancakes.html add coconut flour I think it was 1-2 T a commenter mentioned.
  • jenmckane86
    jenmckane86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've only ever used this for waffles, but I don't see why you couldn't try pancakes with them. I love these, even my high-carb husband likes them.

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/12/08/keto-waffles/
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    How about some zero carb pancakes?
    http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/zero-carb-pancakes/

I haven't tried them personally but Maria Emmerich seems to be one of the best recipe sources around so I think it's trustworthy.
    I couldn't care less about pancakes personally but I am wondering if these, like so many other low carb pancake/bread type recipes, can be altered with spices and such and be used for things like soft taco shells and sandwich buns.
    I don't like to fuss with cooking extra things just for those purposes but I know that many people really prefer to have a healthy replacement for those things. And with many of them quite a few carbs are added to the day. This one could be a game changer there.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    How about some zero carb pancakes?
    http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/zero-carb-pancakes/

I haven't tried them personally but Maria Emmerich seems to be one of the best recipe sources around so I think it's trustworthy.
    I couldn't care less about pancakes personally but I am wondering if these, like so many other low carb pancake/bread type recipes, can be altered with spices and such and be used for things like soft taco shells and sandwich buns.
    I don't like to fuss with cooking extra things just for those purposes but I know that many people really prefer to have a healthy replacement for those things. And with many of them quite a few carbs are added to the day. This one could be a game changer there.

I may have to give these a try. Pancakes aren't something I can't live without, but my hubby loves them and just got him and the daughter to start eating keto this week, so that might be something for a weekend breakfast. I had seen these before but just the thought of using pork rinds in a pancake threw me off so much I skated right past it, but in the last week or so I'm kind of getting converted to the whole pork rind thing *gasp* so who knows! :)
  • JennifrClaire
    JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Have been experimenting with these all week. I think ground almond meal works well, and it is readily available, round our way, in any Lidl. Other than that it's just a typical pancake recipe, but no ordinary flour, and no sugar.
    I added desicated coconut just because I had it in the cupboard, and I like it, but I don't think it altered the recipe.
    I find them hugely filling, compared to normal carb-y pancakes, and I kind of miss maple syrup but it's not essential.