Living The Lifestyle (LTL) - - Friday, February 24, 2017

Options
whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,246 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday --88olds (George)
Tuesday --Rachel0778 (Rachel)
Wednesday -- misterhub (Greg)
Thursday --Imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday -- whathapnd (Emmie)

Today's Topic: Morning Thoughts About Health and Weight Loss/Management

When you start your day and are thinking about all you need to get done (or perhaps as you plan the night before) do your thoughts include health and weight loss notions? I'm asking less about tasks (e.g. "I have to pack lunch, make dinner, grocery shop, go to a meeting/kid activity etc") and more about whether you actively frame those tasks around health and weight notions.

Replies

• DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    I am conscious of health and weight issues, but they aren't things I dwell on all the time. When I was losing, that was my central focus. But that level of concentration wasn't something I could, or would want to sustain. I hope that I have developed habits that move me in the right direction, without special planning. I suppose, for me, that is the primary difference between losing and maintaining.
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    From a planning perspective, I look at my work calendar each morning and reserve a time slot to walk my dog or do a solo run. This is one of my fitness activities that I approach opportunistically and since my dog loves to walk at a good pace, both her walk or the run can count as my cardio.

I also reserved time on my work calendar for M, W, F for a 45 minute fitness class, that is around lunch time. I had to block the time otherwise it gets booked, similarly I had so many work things scheduled during my lunch time that I also permanently reserved a lunch slot, all driven by my desire to stay healthy, maintain my weight and not let work be an obstacle.

On an ad hoc basis I may plan something in the morning because I have been lax in a good habit, such as "drink more water" which seems to be an item that will fall by the wayside if I am drinking coffee etc.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    As I've eased back into weight loss mode, I've found I have more success if I internally frame many tasks around health/weight loss. So, "I have to go to the grocery store" becomes "I have to make sure I have good Power Foods on hand so I don't snack all the time." If I have an evening meeting, I think " Eat lunch a bit later today so you don't leave the meeting famished and grab fast food on the way home."

I guess I'd forgotten how much I need to be actively mentally engaged in the beginning - - not just doing the tasks but relating the tasks to desired outcomes. I remember calling this Mental Points and thinking if I used too many I was fatigued and resentful and might abandon the program, but if I used too few I was sloppy and my weight loss stalled. Getting the Mental Points balance right until it once again becomes "sort of" second nature is critical for me.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Usually my only thought until about midmorning is :"COFFEE"

That being said, what I ate yesterday does affect my thoughts. If it was an indulgent day, I tend to feel bloated and gross the next morning and my frame of mind is more focused on what I can do today to make the feeling go away.

If I did well the day before, I usually feel pretty good and just go with the flow.

Exercise usually isn't on my brain because it has become such a habit so it's just second nature.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Yes. Although I run mostly on habit now, when I started I definitely made WL plans. WW had a thing they called story boarding. Thing I liked about it was you could story board a week, a day, an event or meal. It wasn't that I planned a menu for the week, I looked at it as a map of to get me from Sunday to Saturday.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,142 Member
    Options
    One of the first questions TOL and I get to in the morning is "what's for supper?".
    Often plan around that. She's at goal, and I'm trying to get there, so it IS important for us to plan. Also with our FitBits, we try to get in our steps.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much on autopilot but do remain aware of what events coming up in the week might disrupt my eating and/or workout schedule. I also try to stay on top of what I might be running low on so I can restock so that I can keep up my mostly healthy eating habits.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    I always think about health and energy then get out the door for early walk and more coffee. Like David I spend more time "doing" and less time thinking about it. Yup habits rule me. Planning is more for eating out and looking at menus. The daily stuff is pretty routine.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I do in a loose sense, not in great detail. Signing into GOAD has definitely become a way of pointing my compass in the right direction. Not that I really need it (or I don't think so) but it's a reminder that I'm in for another day.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,590 Member
    Options
    I can't say I dwell on it or overwork it. When I am in the groove it comes naturally. During times of struggle it takes more effort and focus. But I don't think I have ever constantly reframed everything.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
    Options
    Yes and since I'm in weight loss mode my meal thoughts are centrally focused alot on planning around the meals. There are changes in my focus that I will get to earlier in the week.