What are you reading?

Options
I thought it might be fun to share what we are reading, this can be ttc and pregnancy related or more general.

I have just finished reading:
- Well Adjusted Babies By Dr Jennifer Barham-Floreani

Totally amazing birth stories and experiences. Lots of info and advice on alternative care and how to integrate this with western medicine.

- Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler

TCOYF is amazing for FAM and NFP practical advice. Read again and again and again!

I am currently reading:
- Happy Gut: The Cleansing Program to Help You Lose Weight, Gain Energy, and Eliminate Pain by Vincent Pedre

I am planning on doing the gut care program asap once the kitchen reno is finished (fingers crossed for tomorrow). I am feeling like crap after 2.5 weeks of fast food and takeaway.

- Brain Rules by John Medina

Lots of interesting facts about how the brain works and what to do to improve your habits for learning, multi tasking etc.

- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

Because now is all we have ❤

Replies

• samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Good idea! I love Expecting Better by Emily Oster (reviews of research on pregnancy), and The Fertility Diet by Chavarro et al. (evidence based guidelines on reducing the risk of ovulatory infertility).

For fun reading, The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion is a lovely book in which one of the main characters is pregnant.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    For pregnancy, I read about half of the Mother of All Pregnancy Books (Canadian Edition). I didn't finish it since there was a lot of stuff that didn't apply to me (like drug use) and I found a few blatant errors that made me question the author hahah.

I also skimmed a book my midwife gave me that seems much more to the point and informative. But I can't remember what it's called right now. Healthy Baby maybe?

I just started reading the Silver Linings Playbook this morning. So far so good. Though it can be a little hard to read a book written from the perspective of a person with mental disabilities (or perhaps other issues, the book hasn't really been clear on that yet), mostly because apparently, they don't use contractions hahaha (like don't, can't etc - makes it sound awkward... which I guess is the point but it always makes me use a "baby" voice in my head when reading lol). I haven't seen the movie so I don't know what the book is really about yet.

Girl on the Train is next on my list once I finish the Lake House by Kate Morton. The Lake House is a solidly OK book so far. Probably a bit longer than it needs to be.

I also read a book called Knocked Up - Rebecca Eckler (which has no affiliation with the movie with Catherine Heigl) and it was cute haha. Made me feel better about my diet since it's actually a novel/funny memoir and all the woman ate was McDonald's lol.

@samlovesthesnow Ah the Rosie Project was so good. I like the Rosie Effect too. A good read, though I like the first book a bit better. But it is cute that she's pregnant. But all the stuff she does scares the crap out of me! Like drinking wine and eating raw meats and stuff lol.

@sarahspractice I will need to read TCOYF. Who is it written by? Your book choices seem interesting! You have so many genres on the go :)
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I think I will try TCOYF also. The pregnancy-related book I'm reading now, The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant, references it a ton. Sounds SO useful!

@VeryKatie have you watched the Silver Linings Playbook movie? I loved it so much! Haven't tried reading the book (I did almost write "Have not" but erased it, haha).

@sarahspractice Thanks for posting about The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. I actually was just journaling last night about needing to be more in the moment. I've been feeling wrought with guilt about not being 100% there at any moment. I really need to work on this. I'll give this a go for sure.

I'm reading the book I mentioned above for baby-related books, but I also have a couple others going:
    - Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right by Arlie Russell Hochschild. The subject matter is really interesting to me in the wake of Trump's election, but the writing is a little hard to follow. The sentence structure is pretty haphazard and I have a hard time focusing on it. But I really do want to understand what in the world happened. Sorry if this offends anyone in this group.
    - Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. I LOVE this book about Fundamentalist Mormons. I've had it going for a while but the history is so interesting, and Krakauer is an amazing writer (and climber!)
  • sarahspractice
    sarahspractice Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @samlovesthesnow thanks! I will look into Expecting Better by Emily Oster, it sounds interesting.

@VeryKatie TCOYF is by Toni Weschler and totally worth it, I got my copy via a special order so I could get the paperback which is 1/2 the price of the hardcover and easier to read and write notes all over! Amazing to read as a whole, cover to cover, equally amazing to read only chapters that are relevant to you 'right now'.

Thank you, my book choices are wildly varied as a result of reading what interest me (voraciously), reading for uni (which I haven't really put here because there are 5-10 books at any one time, some fun, some very dense theory, and everything in between), and reading in regards to health and TTC, parenting, education, alternative health etc.

@pezhed The power of now is just lovely. It is very easy to read and can be taken in small doses as needed. I am carrying it with me everywhere and using it as a starting point for calming down as required (sneaking into bathrooms to read a page or two), and as a point to begin my meditations.

Also, if you are enjoying Hochschild she has an amazing book which anyone who works in any type of service industry should read called The Managed Heart (relatively easy to read, sometimes a little convoluted). And a The Second Shift is a true classic in terms of modern feminism!
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    @sarahspractice curious, what are you taking in university? I feel like I never read in university hahah. I even stopped buying my textbooks in the last couple of years since the profs never even referenced them.
  • sarahspractice
    Options
    @VeryKatie I am doing my Masters in Medical/Cultural Anthropology, my thesis in due in April so it's crazy town here while I finish writing. My research project is on the emotional labour of obstetric sonographers, and their professional experiences and perceptions of ultrasound care during pregnancy. Such a fascinating topic! I didn't read much in undergrad but Masters is different, if you don't read you are totally clueless because there is no one to tell you what you should be doing or learning, it is all totally self guided!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    @sarahspractice That sounds like a really interesting degree! My bachelors was in evolutionary anthropology.

For pregnancy, I'm making my way through the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. I find it really informative and easy to follow. It also made me feel better about all these dratted nose bleeds when 2 different weeks mentioned that as a possible symptom.

For fun, I'm most of the way through the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters (for the third (?)/fourth (?) time). I'm currently at the end of He Shall Thunder in the Sky. I absolutely love these books! They are murder mysteries that are fun, easy, sassy, and engaging.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    @puffbrat oh yes, I have blood in my nose every day. Along with having to blow my nose about 10 times a day. Talk about congestion! I think I should try your books! If it's good enough to read 3 or 4 times :)

@sarahpractice wow your thesis topic does sound so interesting! And so applicable to our group :) You could "publish" your abstract here if you wanted hahah.
  • jennamae102
    jennamae102 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love to read and spend a lot of time currently reading due to my commute (2 45 minute train rides each work day).

Pregnancy/Prevention wise I read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. I purchased it right after I went off birth control last year and I was honestly blown away by how little I knew about my body and fertility. I keep it in my nightstand underneath of the sheets where I log my temperature every morning in case I need to reference anything!

@VeryKatie I really enjoyed Girl on the Train! Mystery and Suspense novels are what I mostly read.

Currently I'm reading Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. It is an informative and humorous look at what happens to cadavers....obviously not for everyone but I've found it interesting so far!
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Currently I'm reading Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. It is an informative and humorous look at what happens to cadavers....obviously not for everyone but I've found it interesting so far!
    Love this book. I went to school for Criminal Justice :) "The average human head is the same size and weight as a roaster chicken" Hahaha!
  • sarahspractice
    Options
    Thanks @VeryKatie I am happy to post the abstract and 2 page summary.... after the submission date XD
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I havent added anything to this thread, but I wanted you all to know you have inspired me to stop reading reddit: Trying For A Baby every night and pick up a book!
    I have one on hold at the library, just waiting for me to pick it up :) Cant remember which one though...thanks for the inspiration ladies!