Carbs earned from exercise?

Options
ddeliciosa
ddeliciosa Posts: 168 Member
Hey all! I'm sorry if this a redundant post, I'm new to the low carb lifestyle (currently at 75g/day, transitioning down to 20g). I was just curious how extra calories earned from exercise come in to play with carbs? Is it wrong to eat back those carbs?

And just to clarify, I use my Fitbit Charge HR monitor. I don't enter exercise into MFP but have it synced.

Replies

• VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When I was doing IIFYM, I would use cardio (aerobic) kcals burnt to determine my carbohydrate allotment for the day (i.e. 400kcal worth of cardio = 100g carbohydrate for that day). Worked pretty well, but meticulous measuring was the real factor at play for the results. This is more of a "targeted" approach

Main thing is to keep the ratios/%s the same; be aware fats = your main energy source though. Throw in some MCTs if you feel the need to fuel exercise/performance
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That's totally your choice. If you're not aiming for ketosis, or even if you are, you just have to experiment and see if it works for you. If you're aiming for ketosis, you'd just need to test to see where your threshold is
    It might be more beneficial to have them before the workout, though you might not know how much more you'll be earning unless you've already got enough data to estimate.
  • ddeliciosa
    ddeliciosa Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll probably try to steer clear of the heavy carb stuff regardless and just load up on fruit and veggies if I've got extra.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Personally TKD and CKD both messed with my athletic performance. YMMV obviously but something to keep in mind
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    ddeliciosa wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll probably try to steer clear of the heavy carb stuff regardless and just load up on fruit and veggies if I've got extra.

OP, just fyi fruit and veggies are loaded with carbs...BUT IIFYM, then go for it!