The puzzle that is BG

Options
2»

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I have probably shared more than some what to read in terms of my n=1 experiments. However, I think we all have to do this because I have yet to find a quality medical study where 100% of those in the sample group responded the same way. We are all ultimately responsible for our own health and therefore have to be willing to do our own experiments. There are lots of potential culprits out there from too much protein which affects some but not other to "slow" carbs which some can eat and other can't. The list goes on and on.

@2t9nty - I do want to add that the lack of sleep is a very likely culprit in at least exacerbating the response you had to that soup. Lack of quality sleep will spike cortisol in almost everyone which will in turn spike glucose. In my own personal case, I know if I get poor sleep multiple nights in a row, I can expect every reading I take (which is from 3 to 8 a day) will be higher and may stay higher for a few days.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hang in there @2t9nty it takes time to get it under control, but you're clearly moving in the right direction. Stress, lack of sleep and illness (cold, flu) have a devastating affect on my BG.

But in one year I went from an HBA1C of 6.3 which required 310 units of insulin a day to achieve to a 5.5 with no insulin, and I've been a T2 diabetic for 11+ years. I still have to inject periodically if something sends me out of control (i.e. the items listed above and the occasional poor meal choice), but 90% of the time I'm med-free. I'm definitely still a diabetic, but it's very manageable now with diet and exercise and I hope when I finish losing weight my body will function even better.

I wish you all the best with your journey.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Hang in there @2t9nty it takes time to get it under control, but you're clearly moving in the right direction. Stress, lack of sleep and illness (cold, flu) have a devastating affect on my BG.

But in one year I went from an HBA1C of 6.3 which required 310 units of insulin a day to achieve to a 5.5 with no insulin, and I've been a T2 diabetic for 11+ years. I still have to inject periodically if something sends me out of control (i.e. the items listed above and the occasional poor meal choice), but 90% of the time I'm med-free. I'm definitely still a diabetic, but it's very manageable now with diet and exercise and I hope when I finish losing weight my body will function even better.

Good insights and great progress!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options

Thanks - this is a speed bump on the road. I know that, but it was still discouraging. I was only diagnosed T2 in October, so I don't have the experience with the ups and downs really. I guess I don't know what to expect because I seem to have responded well to the LCHF diet, and my BG numbers have been mostly on a good downward trend. I am staying the course. When I got home from work today, it was 107. I liked that, so maybe I am back to normal (well, as normal as I get).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Another thought is that in a cream based soup, many still use a Roux as a thickener, @2t9nty ... so you could have been wheated or glutened, both of which can have an amplified effect. Also, using milk or half and half instead of cream in a cream soup will increase the sugars in the broth part of the soup, even if it doesn't taste sweet...and most consider it "healthier" due to the lower fats, etc. Just a few more items to consider...

Even if you aren't auto-immune, gluten can often have a very negative effect on the body, particularly when other health issues are also at play.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing from many drs, and apparently there's a study out somewhere (AND I WANT THAT LINK), that gluten causes leaky gut in EVERYONE. The gut regenerates fast so many are ok. The damage heals pretty quick. But the people with genetic predisposition to gluten sensitivity or autoimmunity, or already have a gut in bad shape (antibiotics and etc) can't heal as fast, so they get gluten proteins in the blood which confuses/activates the immune system, and since the proteins resemble some body tissues (called molecular mimicry) the activated immune system attacks those body tissues, too. Many think that all autoimmunity is caused by food sensitivities like this ans dairy or legumes or nightshades. Other causes are heavy metal toxicity (think mercury from fish or dental amalgams) or sensitivities to molds or chemicals in their environment.

There: a TL;DR for every autoimmune summit lately. :wink:

You can take a $380 blood test through dr Osborne (glutenfreesociety.org) that will determine if you have those genes for gluten sensitivity...or you can eliminate it for 30 days...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yeah, I have been told, I want to say it was Dr. Mark Hyman?, that if you are even remotely gluten sensitive, it can take 6 MONTHS to heal from a single instance of gluten intake - intentional or not... I think it was Dr. Hyman and the other lady from...and adrenal summit that focused on auto-immune issues, and 4 things EVERY autoimmune patient should do:
    Quitting gluten
    Addressing yeast
    Adding T3 Meds
    Adding Progesterone, if warranted

Ashwagandha was a supplement they mentioned that pretty much EVERYONE can benefit from, too...

Looked back, it was the adrenal reset summit. Let me know if you want me to scour my notes, @baconslave and see what else I can find...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Dr. David Perlmutter perhaps? He's very anti-grain (as I'm sure is known by most) and seems to relate EVERYTHING back to gluten and gut. @baconslave
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Another thought is that in a cream based soup, many still use a Roux as a thickener, @2t9nty ... so you could have been wheated or glutened, both of which can have an amplified effect. Also, using milk or half and half instead of cream in a cream soup will increase the sugars in the broth part of the soup, even if it doesn't taste sweet...and most consider it "healthier" due to the lower fats, etc. Just a few more items to consider...

Even if you aren't auto-immune, gluten can often have a very negative effect on the body, particularly when other health issues are also at play.

One of the issues is that you don't thump a free melon. You don't want it to sound like the inquisition when someone brings some soup by...

I am guessing it was made with milk, thickened with flour, AND had potatoes that had cooked to nothing and could not be fished out because they were in suspension. I have learned a lesson here about not taking much for granted wrt to food.
  • baconslave
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Dr. David Perlmutter perhaps? He's very anti-grain (as I'm sure is known by most) and seems to relate EVERYTHING back to gluten and gut. @baconslave

I heard it from Tom O'Bryan. But he never gave the source. I'll have to look around.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Yeah, I have been told, I want to say it was Dr. Mark Hyman?, that if you are even remotely gluten sensitive, it can take 6 MONTHS to heal from a single instance of gluten intake - intentional or not... I think it was Dr. Hyman and the other lady from...and adrenal summit that focused on auto-immune issues, and 4 things EVERY autoimmune patient should do:
    Quitting gluten
    Addressing yeast
    Adding T3 Meds
    Adding Progesterone, if warranted

Ashwagandha was a supplement they mentioned that pretty much EVERYONE can benefit from, too...

Looked back, it was the adrenal reset summit. Let me know if you want me to scour my notes, @baconslave and see what else I can find...

Roger roger.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @2t9nty - I completely agree with being grateful and accepting, but if the food is damaging to your body, it needs to not go in to your body.

However, that being said, if it is free and you feel that it is risky, portion it out and treat it as an appetizer...then have more of a meal. By eating 1/4 at a time, you might minimize the impact.

Although, now that i'm thinking of it, there was something about using whey protein 5-10 minutes before a meal that will stimulate a bump in insulin that will help process any increased glucose dumps unexpectedly because the whey triggers the insulin, which will process that glucose boost more readily? Of course, that's assuming you're not already overtaxing your pancreas... But a quick protein shake before any questionable meals to manage spikes from food in the best generous intentions?? That might be an option.

Good luck finding balance.

P.S. A question to ask is that if you were deathly allergic to peanuts, would you eat them to spare someone's feelings? Would you hesitate to protect your own health and LIFE? Because at this point, it is progressing to that level. You can definitely express your needs in an educational and non-threatening way, because these people being generous and loving would probably feel terrible to know that they hurt your health unintentionally... Maybe a general educational discussion amongst your people?? Sending good thoughts, because I am this way, too...and sometimes I have to use more extreme examples to remind myself of what I'm doing...or rationalizing. Been at this a while, too, so (HUGS)... I hope you find the best path for you...
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    @2t9nty - I completely agree with being grateful and accepting, but if the food is damaging to your body, it needs to not go in to your body.

--snip--

P.S. A question to ask is that if you were deathly allergic to peanuts, would you eat them to spare someone's feelings? Would you hesitate to protect your own health and LIFE? Because at this point, it is progressing to that level. You can definitely express your needs in an educational and non-threatening way, because these people being generous and loving would probably feel terrible to know that they hurt your health unintentionally... Maybe a general educational discussion amongst your people?? Sending good thoughts, because I am this way, too...and sometimes I have to use more extreme examples to remind myself of what I'm doing...or rationalizing. Been at this a while, too, so (HUGS)... I hope you find the best path for you...

Here is one of my issues. It is my pride or sense of privacy perhaps, but I have only told a couple of people about my T2 diagnosis. I want to be "normal," and I don't want to be treated as an invalid. The people I know who are open about being diabetic all seem to do things like have three servings of cake and then figure out how much insulin they will need. You think I jest.

I am fairly determined to get this under control by diet and behavior as much as possible. Everyone knows I am on a diet, and there have been questions about that. I have lost weight, and so I have made obvious progress.

I have to figure this out for me really and decide where I am on all this. Right now I am a closeted diabetic and don't want to be outed. In some ways I am in denial about the T2 diagnosis as stupid as that sounds. I want to control things without meds if possible. It is complicated.

I appreciate your kind words.

• baconslave
    edited February 2017
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »

I heard it from Tom O'Bryan. But he never gave the source. I'll have to look around.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1954879/
    BAM. There's one.
    The data obtained in this pilot study support the hypothesis that gluten elicits its harmful effect, throughout an IL15 innate immune response, on all the individuals. This innate response is found in both patients with and without CD (celiac disease)...

Another:
    http://www.drperlmutter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/nutrients-07-01565.pdf
    Results: Intestinal explants from all groups
    (ACD (n = 6), RCD (n = 6), GS (n = 6), and NC (n = 5)) demonstrated a greater increase in permeability when exposed to gliadin vs. media alone.
    [/i]

Found it! MWAHAHAHAAAA!
    Er...sorry. :blush:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I keep hearing from many drs, and apparently there's a study out somewhere (AND I WANT THAT LINK), that gluten causes leaky gut in EVERYONE. The gut regenerates fast so many are ok. The damage heals pretty quick. But the people with genetic predisposition to gluten sensitivity or autoimmunity, or already have a gut in bad shape (antibiotics and etc) can't heal as fast, so they get gluten proteins in the blood which confuses/activates the immune system, and since the proteins resemble some body tissues (called molecular mimicry) the activated immune system attacks those body tissues, too. Many think that all autoimmunity is caused by food sensitivities like this ans dairy or legumes or nightshades. Other causes are heavy metal toxicity (think mercury from fish or dental amalgams) or sensitivities to molds or chemicals in their environment.

There: a TL;DR for every autoimmune summit lately. :wink:

You can take a $380 blood test through dr Osborne (glutenfreesociety.org) that will determine if you have those genes for gluten sensitivity...or you can eliminate it for 30 days...

Did you see the movie What's With Wheat?
    It was pretty much saying no human being can digest gluten OR any of the other wheat proteins for that matter. There may be info to support what you're saying on their website.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @2t9nty, I understand the dilemma. On one hand, some people will get where you're coming from and be curious and supportive, while on the other, people will offer unsolicited, Dark Ages advice and not listen to a word you say....

I kept a lid on it while I was working, but I'm out with everyone now that I'm retired.

I've been surprised at the number of people who've shown genuine interest, and I'd rather they not worry that my weight loss resulted from some serious, current disease.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I'd rather they not worry that my weight loss resulted from some serious, current disease.

I can relate here. I went on a diet before the diagnosis, and had lost 40 pounds pretty much by cutting out snacks, sweets and seconds. I was trying to cut back on 500 calories a day to lose about a pound a week. I had lost at about the expected rate. I had gotten a finger wagging from my family doctor who wanted me to lose weight, and for three checkups in a row, I had fasting blood sugar in the 105 range. I thought some weight loss would help on a number of fronts.

What I did NOT expect was a T2 diagnosis in October. I mean, I was doing the "right" things. By SAD standards, I had a good diet with unprocessed foods. There were lots of fruits and grains. I liked leafy vegetables. I drank milk and kept an eye on fat intake. I was sodium aware. I was reasonably active and did more or less 10K steps a day just in the course of doing my job.

I do wonder now if I had gone LCHF when I first had a fasting BG over 100 if that might have made a difference and gotten things under control. In some ways I think my experience is an indictment of the SAD recommendations.

I am sure I will get more comfortable in my own skin as time goes on.

I think everyone understands that I am on some nutty fad diet, and they seem happy I have lost weight. I don't think there is any whispering that I have something tragic and terminal.

I did tell my dentist about the T2 diagnosis, and he asked how I felt about it. I said, "Sometimes your pancreas just gets tired and needs some help. I am getting it figured out." He nodded and started poking my gums with the probe thingy.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

--snip--

Here is one of my issues. It is my pride or sense of privacy perhaps, but I have only told a couple of people about my T2 diagnosis. I want to be "normal," and I don't want to be treated as an invalid. The people I know who are open about being diabetic all seem to do things like have three servings of cake and then figure out how much insulin they will need. You think I jest.

I am fairly determined to get this under control by diet and behavior as much as possible. Everyone knows I am on a diet, and there have been questions about that. I have lost weight, and so I have made obvious progress.

I have to figure this out for me really and decide where I am on all this. Right now I am a closeted diabetic and don't want to be outed. In some ways I am in denial about the T2 diagnosis as stupid as that sounds. I want to control things without meds if possible. It is complicated.

I completely understand your desire to keep it private. Outside of medical staff I'm treated by, only my immediate family, best friend and one colleague know I'm diabetic, and the only reason I shared with the colleague was because her husband is diabetic and also takes insulin.

One of the biggest motivators for me to eat this way is the fact that it makes it easier for me to eat during business meetings without trying to sneak away to the ladies' room to test my blood sugar and inject insulin without anyone noticing. I'm much happier being the weirdo eating the insides of her sandwich with a knife and fork leaving behind a little pile of bread lol.

I feel like a pariah because there is such a stigma in both the US and the UK about diabetics being such a drain on health care resources. That's the number one reason I've ever told anyone. I didn't feel comfortable about it in either country. And I truly don't want to be a drain on the healthcare system. I want to be healthy and medication free. Now I just need to kick my remaining bp meds... I'm confident that I'll get there.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

--snip--

I think I am in the minority here, but I am quite open about getting the T2 diagnosis. My situation is a bit different in that I was diagnosed when I was 6'1" and 195 lbs while working out 5 days a week so I did not/ do not look like the stereotypical T2.

What I have found is there are a lot of people I know who are either T2 or pre-diabetic. By doing what I am doing and talking with them about my progress (A1c was 6.0 this last time so now pre-diabetic without any meds), some of them have started reconsidering how they are approaching their condition.

I believe it is not just my responsibility but a privilege to be able to help others who are in a similar situation. Not to sound harsh, but I think it would be unchristian of me to have knowledge that could help someone else and not share it.

Just as when I share my faith with others, it is not a reflection on me if they take action. It is their decision. My part is just to ensure they have the knowledge to make that decision.