Gastric Bypass scheduled for June/July

Options
amaliacc
amaliacc Posts: 42 Member
Hi everyone, I'm looking for friends who are in the prepping stages of surgery, or have recently had the surgery.

Replies

• Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I friend requested you. I am pre-op and will hopefully have my surgery in April.
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I was sleeved 10/5/2016
  • LoveLynx1988
    LoveLynx1988 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do not have my surgery scheduled yet but I am in the process of being green lighted for surgery. I still have weight to lose and educational classes to take. I would also love to have some friends on here to share advice and experience with!
  • luvthewaves
    luvthewaves Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I will be having my surgery July?August time frame. Add me :smiley:
  • Elyseinchi
    Elyseinchi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!! I was sleeved on Jan 30th! Feel free to add me! Best thing I ever did! Who cares what other people say! They are jealous! I have a good friend who literally is lying to new about t how much weight she is losing on her own... it's pathetic! She wants to show me that she can do it without wls ... whatever! Anyway... this is a life changer for you ... for all of us! Go get em!!! Xo
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more with what everyone has said. That's also why I kept my WLS to myself and a fairly small group of friends that won't judge. It has been the best decision I have made for myself.
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've put as much if not more work into my exercise & diet regimen than most of the people who claim I took the "easy way out."

Well put @StevenGarrigus!
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    @jcavanna2 I'm doing pretty much the same thing. Very few people know. Growing up, my stepmother had it done and was "successful". However all I heard growing up from my mother was "I'd be a size 2 if I took the easy way out" and while I know that most of that was just spite because she was married to my dad, it's one of the first things that I thought of when my husband asked if I would be telling anyone.

There's a part of me that's growing more courageous about being open about it because as everyone that I'm friends with knows, my mother is on hospice and will likely not make it out of 2017. It's all because of her weight and smoking. She's got 10% of her heart pumping, less than 50% lung function and is a diabetic amputee with a diabetic ulcer that won't heal because her immune system is shot and she's still a smoker. So even if this were the easy way out, I'd rather take it than end up like that.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @CatchMom13 so sorry to hear about your mom! I think that you should tell whoever you are comfortable telling. Unfortunately a lot of people in my family (and especially my husband's side) are judgmental and are also saboteurs so I definitely don't plan to tell them.

Good luck with your journey and please reach out if you need anything!
  • mothraw
    mothraw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm brand new here. It's my first day, first post. I'm pre-approved. I was hoping to be scheduled in June but it may be July or August due to a clerical error at a referring medical office.
    I look forward to hearing and learning from you as well as supporting!
  • DonnieBee30
    DonnieBee30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi guys I'm new here and I'm month four pre WLS I agree with you guys this process has not been an easy one at all we have to modify our lives and if that saves my life in the end oh well I'm ready for the lifestyle change feel free to add me the more support the better
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    CatchMom13 wrote: »
    So even if this were the easy way out, I'd rather take it than end up like that.

And that is it in a nutshell. Having WLS isn't about conforming to what others think. I really don't give a *kitten* what anyone thinks of my decision. I did this for me & my family. So I could live a healthier, longer, more productive life and be able to be a better husband and father. If some judgmental *kitten* thinks I took the easy way out, more power to them. I know I'm going to live longer and healthier and that is all that matters.

• Elyseinchi
    Elyseinchi Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @CatchMom13 ... I think in general some people just SUCK! Even if they don't mean to SUCK they just do! They say things they think are encouraging only for us to find them at best discouraging... and many times it makes us feel bad, ashamed etc!

You are doing this for YOU! YOU are number ONE! Because this is all about you and your health and your life and your journey! You can tell or not tell whom ever you want. If they think you are taking the "easy" way out... so be it. They have NO IDEA!

I started my journey not wanting to tell anyone... then loosened up to a few... and now .. well to HELL with it all... If someone asks why I eat so little or what am I doing to lose weight, I just tell them I had WLS! With a smile and pride all over my face because I know that I am doing something for ME! To make ME BETTER! to make ME HEALTHIER!

I have a friend who when she heard has been in a competition with me.... as if ... she wants to lose 30-50 pounds.... she calls me and tells me how great she is doing... about how even her husband cant keep up with the personal trainer because her personal trainer is so hard... etc... then she lied (only because she tracks and I saw it...) about how much weight she had lost... when she was down 6 she told me she was down 15... when she was down 11 she bragged about being down 22. Now look, I think any amount of weight loss is great so the fact that she keeps inflating it just tells me how insecure she is.... I just say to her... wow that is awesome. Maybe I should have just followed your weight loss plan versus getting sleeved! Ha Ha! The joke is on her... I don't really care.... again, this is my journey!

And so I say to you... CONGRATS for making this life change! It take COURAGE! Heck, it takes GUTS! (HA HA) to make sure a huge commitment for the rest of your life and I applaud you for taking that step so that you have a happy and healthy future!

xoxoxox
  • carly363
    carly363 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just had Gastric Bypass surgery on April 3, 2017. I 'am looking for some new friends to share my journey with, and hear about theirs, too! I'm in the pureed food stage as of this week. I've lost 18 pds since surgery, with a goal of 70 pds to lose (includes the 18 I have already lost). My body was dying. Diabetes, sleep apnea, high bp, high cholesterol, asthma...what a mess. I have a new lease on life, and i want to get healthy; making the most of it! I need and want lots of friends! :)
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My gastric bypass is scheduled for May 16th.

I waffle, do I tell everyone, do I keep it to myself? I've told about everyone I'm having my hiatal hernia repaired (hopefully that'll stop the ridiculous reflux). I think, I'll tell everyone, but then I know certain people will make snide comments, and I just might tell the to F right off.

I am doing this for me, to be healthy. I cant do it on my own. I need this tool.

You can totally friend me :)