Post workout recovery

Options
eabernst
eabernst Posts: 29 Member
After how long/ intense of a workout do you introduce a recovery snack/ drink into your routine? What do you recommend? Usually I lift after work but before dinner but can't usually shower, get home, and make dinner within an hour or so.

I'm pretty new to serious strength training and but in my distance running/ cycling practice I wouldn't even think of a conscious recovery snack/ drink until at least an intense hour run and longer for a ride.

Replies

• katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I try and get at least a snack in within 1/2 an hour or an hour, but if I don't then I don't worry. I will say though that when I don't, I usually end up so starving that by the time I do eat, I eat twice as much as I would have otherwise.
    If you really want a recovery snack, either take a shake or something with you to have straight after or find a way to cut down on that time. Could you maybe prep dinner the night before so you only have to heat it up? Or do you really need a shower if you're on your way home anyway?
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    ^^
    I love having a protein shake ready to go. It tides me over till dinner usually.
  • eabernst
    Options
    Unfortunately getting home more quickly isn't an option for me due to a lot of things. Do you guys have a shake you recommend? About how many calories should I aim for? Or is it workout time dependent assuming they're all intense ;) ?
  • katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, so I go for a pea protein powder with almond milk. Currently loving Venom Chocolate Pea Protein Isolate. To get max protein absorption, you'll want to pair the shake with some sort of carb - some protein powders are high carb already, but mine is very low carb so I sometimes have a piece of fruit as well. If it's just a snack, aim to clock in around 200 calories.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I use "harmonized vegan protein brand" as I can't do dairy and I put it in a protein shaker in the morning. Then I use the fountain at the gym and drink on the way home. You could do the same with a high protein bar.
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I aim for 30grams of protein (Optimum Nutrition protein shake)/30 grams of carb (whatever I crave since I am on low card diet) within 30 min. Good article to answer your question: https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/postworkout_nutrition
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Protein shake. I love Dymatize ISO cinnamon bun. You could probably do 1/2 banana or something light with it. I like a ricecake with PB
  • kelsgrif84
    kelsgrif84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also agree that a protein shake will help. I usually drink a shake and eat some carbs about 30 minutes before my workout. I use cellucore whey protein. This helps me not feel fatigued after and gives my body the energy i need to complete my sets. I also recommend an amino acid supplement post work to help with muscle fatigue. For me, snacking on nuts or seeds gets me through the between meals hunger.
  • eabernst
    Options
    Thanks for the shake suggestions, looks like I have some trying out to do!
  • arrosa
    arrosa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I make a protein shake too. I use half a frozen banana, half a cup of frozen fruit, half a cup of Greek yogurt, half a cup of skimmed milk, half an avocado and a scoop of protein powder. The avocado gives it staying power and it becomes a meal rather than a snack.
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    katnoir1 wrote: »
    I'm lactose intolerant, so I go for a pea protein powder with almond milk. Currently loving Venom Chocolate Pea Protein Isolate. To get max protein absorption, you'll want to pair the shake with some sort of carb - some protein powders are high carb already, but mine is very low carb so I sometimes have a piece of fruit as well. If it's just a snack, aim to clock in around 200 calories.

I just got Olympian lab chocolate Pea protein power. I force myself to finish it. I guess the formula has changed. Does the venom brand taste any better?
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You might also want to consider a quality Post Workout Recovery Supplement to add to your routine. I use Liporidex POS/T right after my lifting session (just mix it w water, it tastes great)-it gives me all the BCAA's I need, reduces soreness and has internal sunscreen, it's awesome.
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    smis92103 wrote: »
    You might also want to consider a quality Post Workout Recovery Supplement to add to your routine. I use Liporidex POS/T right after my lifting session (just mix it w water, it tastes great)-it gives me all the BCAA's I need, reduces soreness and has internal sunscreen, it's awesome.

I usually just have a protein shake after I workout, but my girlfriend has been wanting to try taking something specifically for recovery. I have used some of their stuff in the past and liked it, I will have to look into it.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You don't really have to eat that soon after a workout. I'm often not super hungry after so just have a light snack. Sometime within the next few hours you probably want to get protein and carbs, though. But your body will rebuild when it can no matter what you do. You just recover a little sooner if you refeed a little sooner.
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    A snack within 30 minutes of finishing.
    -One hard boiled egg and a handful of almonds.

And dinner within 2 hours.
    - Mostly protein and fat. Lots of veggies.
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely not hungry after I workout. No need to force myself to eat, right?
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    smis92103 wrote: »

Internal sunscreen? that sounds scary! what is that?