MY fitness Pal and Garmin sync off

Options
I'm hoping that someone can help me, when i sync my garmin vivofit (15,000+ steps) it puts me into negative calories. previously it have me 200 + calories. I have updated the apps and disconnected and reconnected with no success.

Has anyone else had the same? does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Teresava77
    Teresava77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Mfp allow you to 'eat back' calories burned but there is the option to turn this setting off in your configuration. Log into mfp and check your settings.
  • peppis
    peppis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I have a Garmin Vivofit2 and my Garmin Connect shows my active calories as 257, consumed 582. It subtracts my active calories of 257 from my daily calorie goal for an adjusted goal. Then it shows the adjusted goal plus calories consumed to give me the remaining calories of 1135. HOWEVER, on MFP, it shows my daily caloric goal - 257 + 62 for exercise leaving 940 remaining. So why is there so much of a difference between 1135 (Garmin) and 940 (MFP) remaining calories? I know it's syncing in MFP, because it shows how many steps I have in my Garmin Connect. Thanks!
  • peppis
    peppis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just searched the help files and found a few articles. I first did a search in the community for Garmin Vivofit2 and came across one entitled I Have Garmin. A tech answered the person who said that they walked like 15,000 steps but it was showing a low exercise number in MFP. The tech mentioned how the calorie adjustments are made and it's confusing, but he recommended putting your exercise level as "sedentary" to help with that. I also found an article that the tech gave a link on that explains how the calorie adjustment is made. It's titled "What is the Calorie Adjustment in my Exercise Diary?" in the Help section. I'm going to try setting mine to sedentary instead of lightly active and see if that makes a difference.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    It's down to your activity levels in MFP, basically anything above Sedentary in MFP suggests that you as part of your normal day already hit a certain number of steps and this has already been accounted for in your calorie goal. When you sync your steps it deducts the amount of steps already accounted for and gives you only the additional calories burned in excess of the perceived activity level.

It also expects a certain level of activity across the day for example if you're on your feet during working hours but then go home and sit on your butt, it deducts the difference of what it was expecting you to do from what you have actually done.

You can see all of your calories burnt by turning your activity level to sedentary in MFP and turning off negative adjustments. However this doesn't necessarily make it more accurate.