Whey from Strained Yogurt

Hello friends! I make homemade labneh pretty regularly, and I usually chuck out the strained whey, but I was wondering if anyone might know of any good uses for it? There is lemon juice and salt in it (since that's how labneh is made).

This is made from organic whole fat local yogurt here in Portland, and the label on the container claims that there are billions of strains of live cultures, which is awesome, but I was wondering if I add the whey liquid to a hot soup stock, will that kill the good bacteria?

Any insights are welcome and appreciated.

Gracias!

Replies

• krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Hmmm...good question! I use Kefir in my oatmeal. Kefir contains prebiotics and probiotics too. So, I wait until my oatmeal has cooled down, add a bit of Kefir to cool it down further, then add the rest of the Kefir. This way I'm ensured of getting the most out of my food. As for whey, here's a website I found: http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/recipes-with-yogurt/18-ways-to-use-whey-a-by-product-of-greek-yogurt
  • sassafrassa1284
    sassafrassa1284 Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you! This website was really helpful. :-)
  • beccahun1
    beccahun1 Posts: 44 Member
    I've never heard of anyone else that strains their yogurt before! I'm glad I'm not alone :) I have never heard of labneh before, I strain my yogurt for a lower calorie cream-cheese type spread.
    I have added the whey to smoothies before but unless I'm in a smoothie mood (not often in the colder months) it tends to go to waste.
  • sassafrassa1284
    sassafrassa1284 Posts: 8 Member
    edited February 2017
    beccahun1 wrote: »
    I've never heard of anyone else that strains their yogurt before! I'm glad I'm not alone :) I have never heard of labneh before, I strain my yogurt for a lower calorie cream-cheese type spread.
    I have added the whey to smoothies before but unless I'm in a smoothie mood (not often in the colder months) it tends to go to waste.

My friend, you've been making Labneh. That's all it is. Strained yogurt. Do you add anything else to it before you strain? I added lemon juice and salt to mine which is why I wasn't sure I could use the whey for anything else
  • Jilrob0
    Jilrob0 Posts: 1 Member
    If you bake you can use it as your liquid. I have been known to just drink it.