Getting home from work binge

Options
This goes back to my school days – whenever I got home I would eat and zone out in front of the TV. Now as a teacher, I do the same thing. What do you do when you get home from work?

Replies

• QueenPAC
    QueenPAC Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have such a hard time with overeating after work. I know I'm not hungry, but I can't stop myself. I hate it.
  • MagneticGanymede
    MagneticGanymede Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    How much time do you have after work till dinner? Maybe a workout or a walk and shower after work could relax you hold you over till dinner.
    Or you could turn the binge into a small pre-planned snack and drink a ton of water after.
    I used to binge after my kids bedtime but since it's after dinner I don't have calories left to do that. I've been going on walks and whatever to relax instead.
  • reginakarl
    reginakarl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Could you have a big apple instead? I'm thinking of something you can't eat very fast, has fiber, and is tasty. Then, you could, during the snack, refocus the thought of food into a different activity. You can sort of leave apples out so you can see the immediately when you come in the door. I'm going to try this as I have the same exact issue and just thought of the above now.
  • Justme8888
    Justme8888 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    QueenPAC wrote: »
    I have such a hard time with overeating after work. I know I'm not hungry, but I can't stop myself. I hate it.

I don't have an answer but I am the same way.
  • BexxCaro
    BexxCaro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me overcome this urge when I first get home is to create a new (distracting) habit. I let the dogs out like usual, then I focus on me -- I change into comfy clothes and do a nice skin care routine. I put on music I like, or catch up on a podcast while I do this. Nothing fancy, but after I'm done, I'm so much more relaxed that I'm able to overcome the urge to binge much easier.

It's not perfect, but it has definitely helped.
  • sarahwylder
    sarahwylder Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi ChangeAddict, QueenPAC and justme888. It's really common to want to eat in the evenings so you are definitely not alone here. If you are trying to diet during the day, it may be as simple as you just aren't eating enough during the day for your body's needs. Other common reasons for night time eating are:

a. You could be depriving your other needs in some way - not looking after yourself (putting others first is something we women do a lot!).

b. You might be tired and need to get to bed earlier. (Tiredness often prompts sugar cravings.)

c. Are there any emotional triggers that get pulled when you get home? The end of a stressful day at work? A stressful home-life? This might be emotional eating - a coping mechanism.

d. Or it could be a habit! Our brains get set in our ways quite easily but then new habits can also be made too.

Try and look at how you feel in the evenings, before you start to eat. That will help you work out what the motivators are. Then you can work on changing what you need to.

Good luck.

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Hi ChangeAddict, QueenPAC and justme888. It's really common to want to eat in the evenings so you are definitely not alone here. If you are trying to diet during the day, it may be as simple as you just aren't eating enough during the day for your body's needs. Other common reasons for night time eating are:

a. You could be depriving your other needs in some way - not looking after yourself (putting others first is something we women do a lot!).

b. You might be tired and need to get to bed earlier. (Tiredness often prompts sugar cravings.)

c. Are there any emotional triggers that get pulled when you get home? The end of a stressful day at work? A stressful home-life? This might be emotional eating - a coping mechanism.

d. Or it could be a habit! Our brains get set in our ways quite easily but then new habits can also be made too.

Try and look at how you feel in the evenings, before you start to eat. That will help you work out what the motivators are. Then you can work on changing what you need to.

Good luck.

Sarah, I think all four of these comman reasons are infecting me with overeating! I'm not getting enough sleep, we have inadequate heating in a new place we rented, so as I battle the cold my body is screaming for fat and carbs and all my favorite triggering foods atm, plus, yeah, there are just thosetimes of day I expect a meal and if its late I snack then eat the same sized meal when it arrives! Big recipe for disaster.

So glad you shared these.

Being more aware almost always brings me to a higher level of consciousness of myself, which in return means much more chance of letting go of the problems.
    Many thanks.

• sarahwylder
    sarahwylder Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My pleasure Gamliela!
  • rachellech
    rachellech Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've ben struggling with this as well, especially this week. Last weekend I had morning appts. which made it impossible for me to sleep in late. I wake up early during the week and my weekend mornings are my time to catch up on rest. I believe because of this I have been dragging all week and going on sugar/carb binges. I ignored my trainer diets and workouts. I feel crappy and now depressed. Due to my schedule and my responsibilities with my dogs, it has been challenging to find extra time after work to go to bed early. So unfortunately I have to wait for the weekend to reboot. I canceled all weekend morning appts so I can sleep in. I need to remember that in the future I need to put myself first and rest during the weekend mornings.

In the meantime I'm going to try not to buy more food and just eat what I have at home. What I have left at home is healthy so if I binge on those it is better than junk food, at least that is my rationale for this week.

Sleep deprivation really does a number on concentration, motivation, focus, and positive mood. If I had friends or family nearby, I would ask them to babysit my dogs so I can just go to sleep, but alas, that is not the case, and I have to do what I need to do.

Good luck everyone!