What are good keto friendly non-perishable foods?

Options
mike5884
mike5884 Posts: 11 Member
Hello everyone,

Im in the military and will be going to the field for 3wks. I will only have MREs available to eat, which are not keto friendly. Does anyone have any ideas on keto friendly non-perishable foods. I've bought nuts, spam, and tuna(in oil), im planing on taking some coconut oil and ghee.

Besides those foods, i am at a lost...does anyone have any good suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin seeds.
    Meat sticks.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I would switch to tuna in water given almost all of the ones in oil are in vegetable oil you do not want to put in your body. I understand that makes the protein too high, but the fat in that oil is bad news.

An even better option would be sardines in olive oil - not the ones in soybean oil.

Vegetable oil, including soybean, are very high in omega 6 which cause inflammation.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Jerky
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter?
    Richlands...Proud Marines?
    Waves from Cary, NC
    Thank you for your service.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    Jerky

If you go for jerky just make sure to look at the nutrition label and see if it fits your goals :smile: There is often wheat, sugar, and other additives that add up the carb count.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Duke's smoked shorty sausages are good without a lot of fillers!
  • mike5884
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »

Thanks, but does it need to be refrigerated after opening?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Macadamia nuts?

Kirkland, 1.5lb, $18 at Costco:

61yXDyHJKqL._SY400_.jpg
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    mike5884 wrote: »
    anglyn1 wrote: »

Thanks, but does it need to be refrigerated after opening?

I was in the grocery store earlier and thought of you. I looked at all varieties of jerky and all but one read: "best is used within 3 days of opening" and the vast majority read "refrigerate after opening".

I didn't look at sausages but the one I have sitting on my counter at home reads "refrigerate after opening". "Use within 7 days". It's pretty good. I don't usually eat much along these lines but it was being discontinued at WalMart and was only $2 per bag AND the package reads <1 carb/serving. Ole Wisconsin Turkey Bites.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I would switch to tuna in water given almost all of the ones in oil are in vegetable oil you do not want to put in your body. I understand that makes the protein too high, but the fat in that oil is bad news.
    An even better option would be sardines in olive oil - not the ones in soybean oil.

Vegetable oil, including soybean, are very high in omega 6 which cause inflammation.

He is right about veggie oils. But tuna is often in olive oil, which is the best option. I use the ones in water because I add my own good fats, but if hyou doesn't have easy access to those, canned in olive oil is best. I've also seen salmon packed in olive oil. Both of those have good omega 3s that are preserved very well by the olive oil.

I would suggest Summer Sausage, Pepperoni, Jerky, Salami, etc. Hard cheeses also last outside refrigeration.

If you really love shrimp, Asian markets have dried ones that can be added to other things, those babies are potent so have something to go along with them, unless you REALLY love shrimp. They also have dried scallops as well.

If you have plenty of water, freeze dried veggies would be good too. Jerky added to water and let set to rehydrate will be more like regular meat as well.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I just got a shipment in of this stuff today -EAS Myoplex Ketogenic. I usually mix stuff like this in with unsweetened vanilla almond milk & MCT oil, but I tried it with just plain water this time -so I can taste only the product (I used a blender bottle to mix it). The taste is alright -not great, but not bad either. Regardless, it has all the right ratios for a Ketogenic diet & it's quick & easy. Also, the expiration date on the packets read December 1, 2017. It comes in a box of 14 packets for $50 on Amazon. So each packet costs about $3.60.
    7nvicia2bc99.jpg

Jason Wittrock, whose YouTube channel many of us have been following, is sponsored by EAS and uses this product heavily. It is available on Bodybuild.com for 30% off. https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/eas/myoplex-ketogenic-meal-replacement.html
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    Jason Wittrock, whose YouTube channel many of us have been following, is sponsored by EAS and uses this product heavily. It is available on Bodybuild.com for 30% off. https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/eas/myoplex-ketogenic-meal-replacement.html

Ordered 2 of the other flavors (strawberry banana), and one more of the cinnamon bun from bodybuilding.com. Saved $45 total with their 30% off promotion. Also got a free t-shirt with my order (free gift w/ purchase over $99). Price per packet came out to $2.50 -not bad at all. Shipping was $6.99, but still well worth it. Thanks for the link!!
  • mike5884
    Options
    Thank you all for your help i appreciate!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The Dukes sausages are in a resealing bag and don't need refrigerated :)

They are kind of like healthier slim Jim's
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks too.