Sulfur deficiency - another piece of the malnutrition puzzle?

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
Here's an intetesting (and long) article on sulfur deficiency and its possible impact on a range of chronic diseases.
http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/abcs-of-nutrition/sulfur-deficiency/

Note that protein-sufficient keto diets are generally not sulfur-deficient.
The best source of sulfur is the protein from animal products such as meat, fish and eggs. Sulfur is becoming depleted from the soil, so vegetables contain even less sulfur than they used to.

(Nevertheless, Prof. Wahls in the keto section of the Wahls Protocol still recommends daily consumption of sulfur-rich vegetables.)

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I take MSM every day, does wonders for my carpal tunnel...nice to know it might be helping my metabolism and brain as well!!!
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. Eating enough protein is again validated, but getting enough sun was a good point. I've wondered for a long time how much the soaring vitamin d deficiencies are related to spf sun protection, our uva light blocking Windows and just generally avoiding the sun.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sulfur is found in reasonable amounts in most commercial bone broths. Ironic to me that you brought this up, @RalfLott - considering that I've been hearing A LOT about Sulfur lately. In fact, I think it is in that nutrient link I posted earlier today.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Sulfur is found in reasonable amounts in most commercial bone broths. Ironic to me that you brought this up, @RalfLott - considering that I've been hearing A LOT about Sulfur lately. In fact, I think it is in that nutrient link I posted earlier today.

Well, I try to listen closely to a select few of the many mouths of the multi-headed YouTube keto hydra; Terry Wahls' is one of The Chosen!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I read this a few weeks ago and have been trying to get more sulfur in my diet. I already eat a lot of eggs and have added bok choy, green onions, and radishes to my diet.
    I take MSM every day, does wonders for my carpal tunnel...nice to know it might be helping my metabolism and brain as well!!!

I used to have carpal tunnel(hands would fall asleep or burn every day, wrist braces every night) but high doses of b6 got rid of it(500mg a day for two weeks?). I still am on a PC several hours every day but don't have any problems with my wrists. Now I take 50 mg P5P (active form of b6) every day.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I tried B6 as a treatment, it did nothing for me. My diet is pretty high in B6 foods, so I guess for me that just wasn't the missing piece. I'm looking forward to retirement so I won't be typing all day long!!!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I tried B6 as a treatment, it did nothing for me. My diet is pretty high in B6 foods, so I guess for me that just wasn't the missing piece. I'm looking forward to retirement so I won't be typing all day long!!!

I don't know what to tell you, either your dosage isn't high enough or you are missing enough of some other nutrients like magnesium and riboflavin. You can also try P5P since b6 needs to be converted in the body to the active form and sometimes that conversion can be impaired.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Bump-ity bump, bump...
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I started MSM powder when my Joint Hypermobility Disorder got so bad last summer I could barely stand up from the couch! I would get sore just lying in bed, it was debilitating. I use 1/2 tsp MSM twice a day paired with 100 mg hyaluronic acid 2x/day. Have since added B6, fat soluble Vit C. Already take lots of supplements and gelatin, but I'm convinced the MSM & HA gave me my life back. Just a total turnaround.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    sixaround1 wrote: »
    I started MSM powder when my Joint Hypermobility Disorder got so bad last summer I could barely stand up from the couch! I would get sore just lying in bed, it was debilitating. I use 1/2 tsp MSM twice a day paired with 100 mg hyaluronic acid 2x/day. Have since added B6, fat soluble Vit C. Already take lots of supplements and gelatin, but I'm convinced the MSM & HA gave me my life back. Just a total turnaround.

That's great! Any side effects?
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I haven't noticed any side effects from MSM...it's one of the few things I can take on an empty stomach without getting nauseous...I take 4.5g morning noon and night...I'm ok to miss a dose, or even miss a whole day, but if I miss several days in a row my wrists will start to ache again...
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @RalfLott Nothing as far as I can tell! As you may or may not know, Joint Hypermobility Disorder is related to a deficit of collagen production, it's genetic. The sulphur supplement along with the rest of my regimen seems to boost collagen production.

I also swear by gelatin. I started with that first. I had a painful knee for two years that massage, chiropractic, & acupuncture could not help at all, but after maybe a month of 2-4 tbs/day of supplementing with beef gelatin the pain vanished & never returned. I put a tbs of Great Lakes hydrolysate collagen in my tea every morning, don't even know it's there.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    sixaround1 wrote: »
    @RalfLott Nothing as far as I can tell! As you may or may not know, Joint Hypermobility Disorder is related to a deficit of collagen production, it's genetic. The sulphur supplement along with the rest of my regimen seems to boost collagen production.

I also swear by gelatin. I started with that first. I had a painful knee for two years that massage, chiropractic, & acupuncture could not help at all, but after maybe a month of 2-4 tbs/day of supplementing with beef gelatin the pain vanished & never returned. I put a tbs of Great Lakes hydrolysate collagen in my tea every morning, don't even know it's there.

Are we talking Ehlers-Danlos syndrome or something related? My wife has EDS, not severely. She's never tried any of the supplements you mentioned, I don't think. Thx for the tips!
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @RalfLott It's definitely similar to EDS but I don't have all the symptoms of that so I think it's related but not as intense. Definitely research, I lost all my bookmarks, d'oh, or I'd point you to the sites I used. I wish her well!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    All I can think of when reading this thread is that all the sulfur is in eastern WV and western M.D. We were there on Friday and heavens the smell.
  • my4andme333
    my4andme333 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have EDS and all of this information is amazingly helpful!!! Thank you all :)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I have EDS and all of this information is amazingly helpful!!! Thank you all :)

Any tricks for reducing your aches and pains?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Why is it that some of the most helpful supplements that we should likely all be on are generally the most expensive? CoQ10 is supposed to be the bomb, but unless I want to sell my kidney, I can't afford it. Same with MSM...I have painful joints, almost fully destroyed cartilage according to my orthopedic doc, but things like this aren't the essentials I currently use... *GRR*
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I get my MSM from Vitacost, their brand - pretty cheap, way cheaper than some of my other supplements...plus, they occasionally put it on bogo or bogo50% and that's when I stock up.