WatTeam PowerBeat Gen2 Power Meter In-Depth Review

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
I found this review interesting. This is a dual-sided, crank-based power meter for $499. You have to install it yourself. It will take a bit more than 24 hours although you'll only be involved for about 45 minutes. Also of interest is that it has a "MTB mode;" power meters are fairly rare on mountain bikes, and I think that's unfortunate. Sadly I wouldn't buy this today because of accuracy concerns, but I'm happy to see it. Competition is great, and power meters becoming affordable is a great thing.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/02/watteam-powerbeat-gen2-power-meter-in-depth-review.html

DSC_6735_thumb.jpg

Replies

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I eagerly read this review as well. What with having the new MTB and riding it a lot more, I've made the decision to put a power meter on it. I mostly just want it for tracking Kj and TSS though, not for actually doing structured work or anything. As such, I don't really want to spend a ton of money on it. The bad news is there aren't a lot of choices for mountain bikes for the $500-700 I'm willing to spend except the single-sided variants like Stages and 4iiii. I realize those are fine but, as I've said many times before, I'm a data nerd through-and-through and just can't bring myself to buy a single-sided PM that, by it's very nature, has to make the assumptions they do. All that's a long-winded way of saying I'm actually very interested in possibly acquiring one of these for the MTB once the mountain bike version comes out this spring.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    @ntunk We might be twins! I've been wanting an MTB PM option for years. And for the same things you want: kJ, and TSS. Those are the most important things for me to know and it bothers me not to have them. A chart for the whole ride would be nice, too, though.