Super thirsty!

Options
Hello all!

My question is for anyone doing zero carb... I'm doing a 20 day experiment doing zero carb (mostly ZC, there is a little carb in my heavy cream, and some of the cheese) today is my third day, and I seem to be insatiably thirsty. Has anyone experienced this? Does it last long? Should I be concerned?

I was really worried about ketoacidosis, but I just checked my blood ketones and it appears I'm only at 1.8 mmol per liter.

Many thanks for any input..

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hello all!

My question is for anyone doing zero carb... I'm doing a 20 day experiment doing zero carb (mostly ZC, there is a little carb in my heavy cream, and some of the cheese) today is my third day, and I seem to be insatiably thirsty. Has anyone experienced this? Does it last long? Should I be concerned?

I was really worried about ketoacidosis, but I just checked my blood ketones and it appears I'm only at 1.8 mmol per liter.

Many thanks for any input..

Are you a type 1 diabetic? If not, don't worry about ketoacidosis. It's physically IMPOSSIBLE for you to get DKA. Even my T1D daughter is less at risk of DKA eating keto, which she does, because her blood sugar doesn't skyrocket on keto.
    Ketoacidosis is ONLY possible when you have very high blood sugar, over 250 for at least a while, AND your body makes none or incredibly little insulin due to beta cell death.

How much sodium are you getting. Hydration is less about water and more about your ability to retain water. Get an absolute minimum of 3000mg of sodium every. Single. Day. If that doesn't fix you up, get more.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10358179/keto-flu-dizzy-weak-tired-headaches-cramping-muscles-electrolyte-imbalance-may-be-your-problem#latest

Look out for headaches, dizziness and leg/foot cramps with low sodium.
    It is serious to have low sodium. Don't dismiss this very critical need.
  • WG_Keto
    WG_Keto Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yep, I drink 90-100oz of water a day and some days that's not enough. Plus salt or the headaches will be brutal.
  • msurads06
    msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing happen to me if I get too little sodium. I am prediabetic and when I first lowered carbs I was expecting to need less water only to be surprised to be THIRSTY.

i'm talking wake up in the night to drink, down 64 oz before lunch, sloshy belly and STILL THIRSTY!!!!! I did develop tiredness, dizziness, confusion but the overwhelming symptom for me was thirst. (and of course the more I drank the more sodium was washed out so the thirstier I got). Fortunately I figured out what was wrong before ending up in the ER but I don't think I was far from it.

After doing some research I started breaking up NUUN tabs (obviously wont work for zero carb) and adding them to my water as well as increasing salt content in my food. Once I got my sodium back up, the thirst subsided except when I start to slack off with the salt shaker. That seems to be my first sign that something is wrong. I will occasionally check my BG just to make sure its not high, but low sodium thirst "feels" different for me than high BG thirst.