Options
tammyclinch
tammyclinch Posts: 103 Member
Weight gain for gabapentin

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @tammyclinch What is the question? Maybe we can help... I haven't taken gabapentin for my FM but am dealing with it by other means.
    BTW, welcome to another Canadian <3
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm on pregablin for FM and have gained weight and am struggling to lose it even though my diet is ok & I go to the gym every week. It's a pain
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Are you on a gluten free celiac style diet @squindles? Check out the MedScape thread on this group for the studies on that in relation to FM.
  • joey72talk
    joey72talk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I gained a stone while taking gabapentin, I didn't find it particularly helpful either.... Helped with the pain my reduced the basic of functions.... I switched from pharmaceuticals to fresh produce and lost 18lb and gain loads more in energy and brain function......
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Unprocessed, fresh foods, especially low carb and gluten free work for me. I find taking supplements so I get a more restful sleep also helps a great deal with pain during the day. I take Magnesium Bisglycinate and Malic Acid among other things to help with relaxation and sleep.
    I also take GABA just before bed:
    GABA (gamma-Aminobutyric acid) is a naturally occurring, self-regulating, chemical compound produced in the brain. The primary purpose of GABA is to reduce the excitability of neurons. Thus, it is considered an inhibitory neurotransmitter that partakes in suppressive activities. Most notably, GABA works to suppress excitatory neurotransmitters norepinephrine and glutamate (GABA’s metabolic precursor). GABA is intimately involved with the parasympathetic nervous system (PNS). The PNS (a part of the autonomic nervous system) is primarily responsible for energy conservation at rest.
    GABA’s calming effect isn’t just mental, but it’s physical as well. Since GABA plays a significant role in muscle tone regulation, it can reduce muscle spasms helping to create a state of physical relaxation. Often, the best nootropics for mood enhancement act in the same manner. Reducing stress, anxiety, increasing serotonin and relaxing the user all work to create a more positive mood in the individual.
    Past studies have confirmed that GABA is the primary inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system (CNS). The levels of this important neurotransmitter are affected by poor diet, illness, or exposure to environmental toxins. Studies show that GABA levels also decline with age. An insufficient amount in the body may lead to anxiety, irritability and sleep disorders like insomnia. GABA levels are also lower in people with ADHD.

And try to find a way to deal with stress that works for you.... right now I have 3 elderly parents I am taking care of (2 mine & 1 MIL) with increasing needs and dementia. I also work in Security/Policing on the graveyard shift 9pm-5am. So I get a lot of stress.
    Hang in there folks!
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I take Cymbalta - for both depression and fibro. It caused weight gain and so I have to be constantly vigilant and when I am not, I end up needing to lose weight.
    When you have stress, try meditation or yoga. When I had a high pressure job I did both and it made a difference.