Realistically do I need to worry about calories

Options
KittyO77
KittyO77 Posts: 9 Member
My macros are set to net 20g Carb (8%) and the other 2 between protein and fat roughly equally. I always struggle to get my full proteins as I always eat on the hop.

Today I was at the horse yard and nibbled on walnuts most of the day polishing off a whole 100g bag = 704 calories!! Add in breakfast and dinner I'm sitting on 1500 calories. Should I be concerned.

Replies

• jayerde
    jayerde Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As a one off don't sweat it. I did the exact same thing with a bag of almonds a couple weeks ago.

If you are consistently eating over your maintenance you will gain weight. I know quite a lot of people can just eat till they are full on LCHF and some like my coworker have to be careful and log everything to make sure he's not eating too many calories.

• Scorpiotwin
    Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I monitor my calories. My weight loss is slow going, I'm at 100 carbs or less, so I definitely have to keep track. I actually have been forcing myself to eat more calories I don't think I was getting enough in and my weight wasn't moving. Keeping track of your calories allows you to make the necessary adjustments.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You just have an example of why I have nearly stopped eating nuts. I seem to be incapable of stopping without eating way too many.

That said, @jayerde is correct that this is not too major as a one off situation. You may just note this might be a problem food for you like it is for many of us.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    You just have an example of why I have nearly stopped eating nuts. I seem to be incapable of stopping without eating way too many.

That said, @jayerde is correct that this is not too major as a one off situation. You may just note this might be a problem food for you like it is for many of us.

Me too, C, me too. I won't bring nuts into the house. Okay, I will, but they call to me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Nuts are very easy to overeat, but overall, 1500 calories isn't a whole lot.
  • Bobzilla54
    Bobzilla54 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I'm having nuts, I'll weigh them out first into a bowl, and limit myself that way. 1oz or 2 oz max.....depending on where I am with my calorie limits for the day.
  • llbreuer2006
    llbreuer2006 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    KittyO77 wrote: »
    My macros are set to net 20g Carb (8%) and the other 2 between protein and fat roughly equally. I always struggle to get my full proteins as I always eat on the hop.

Today I was at the horse yard and nibbled on walnuts most of the day polishing off a whole 100g bag = 704 calories!! Add in breakfast and dinner I'm sitting on 1500 calories. Should I be concerned.

I personally think it's better to snack throughout the day and maybe go over your calories than not eat enough. Especially if it's not your regular routine.
  • KittyO77
    KittyO77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    It is very helpful to have some go-to resources when you're starting this journey.

1. If you haven't already stumbled across the sticky LCD Launch Pad, you might set aside a few hours and look through this great resource.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad

2. Stephen Phinney, Jeff Volek, Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living (technical) and New Atkins for a New You (practical) are great intros.

Phinney's YouTube vids are very informative. He explains that can take weeks to compete the transition from carb- to fat-burning. I'd recommend the JumpstartMD YouTube site, which has not only a long, comprehensive introduction to ketogenic diets by Phinney and Volek but also segments from the interview separated by topic.

Good luck!

Today I was at the horse yard and nibbled on walnuts most of the day polishing off a whole 100g bag = 704 calories!! Add in breakfast and dinner I'm sitting on 1500 calories. Should I be concerned?

@KittyO77 I found learning to eat my macro correctly was more important than the calories especially in the early days. When I went LCHF it was to manage my pain. When I got a macro that worked for me the calories became managed without much thought on my part because my cravings for food that was not in my macro quickly faded and the weight loss was just a positive side effect.

Calories still count where we count them or not. When I do want to lose more weight I cut back on my calories but stick with my macro that has been working fine for 2.5 years in my case.

Welcome to MFP forums and the best of success. There is a HUGE difference over time between eating walnuts in the horse yard instead of watching TV and eating ice cream. :)

Yea I definitely have the carb flu at the moment. Feeling zapped and could sleep around the clock. I'm doing this #1 to loose weight #2 to have a steady source of energy (once I get over this flu), #3 I have epilepsy and was advised that this could be a good way to go if I want to cut the meds down (which also zap me).

So early days, 1.5 weeks in. Definitely, have no cravings, walked past the sweets in Tesco's easily which had I of been hungry would've resulted in half a basket full. Previously, I would've been a definite snacker throughout the day nd that's all stopped.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @KittyO77,

Do you have a grip on what's causing your carb flu?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Yea I definitely have the carb flu at the moment. Feeling zapped and could sleep around the clock. I'm doing this #1 to loose weight #2 to have a steady source of energy (once I get over this flu), #3 I have epilepsy and was advised that this could be a good way to go if I want to cut the meds down (which also zap me).

So early days, 1.5 weeks in. Definitely, have no cravings, walked past the sweets in Tesco's easily which had I of been hungry would've resulted in half a basket full. Previously, I would've been a definite snacker throughout the day nd that's all stopped.

In the thread below is a short video regarding ketogenic diets for epilepsy. You might find the information in the video to be a practical guide to how your macros should be split most appropriately for a Medically Therapeutic Ketogenic Diet for epilepsy. Pay particular attention to the chart that is in the video that shows the number of grams per macros per specific versions of ketogenic diets keeping in mind it is based on a 1000 calorie per day diet so you would need to adjust your macros proportionately upward if your intake is higher. Arbitrarily "Splitting between fat and protein" may not serve you well.

The "faddish" weight loss versions of a ketogenic diet are not the Medically Therapeutic Ketogenic Diet. It may be best for you to discuss a ketogenic diet in more detail with your neurologist or a dietitian (I am neither).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10504692/rally-around-me-troops-needing-encouragement-today#latest