Abnormally fatter arms

Options
mbanks123
mbanks123 Posts: 117 Member
Anyone else have arms that are wobbly and you can't lose fat there? Doesn't matter how much weight I lose on my belly or legs, I never lose any on my arms.

I'm trying to do weights but it just doesn't seem to help. Anyone got experience with this?

Replies

• kellyshell215
    kellyshell215 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It sucks that we can't spot reduce and some place no matter what they still mantain the fat even with muscle underneath.
    I lifting weights is a good, I think you should keep doing it, at some point you'll see changes. Otherwise, instead of just losing weight (water, muscle, fat), try to enter a program that reduces your body fat percentage, try with a PT if possible or a Fitness Expert you know about the best way to reduce your body fat? I think by reducing your body fat you will see changes in your arms and your whole body.
  • GeorgiePie88
    GeorgiePie88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Even at my lowest weight, I had flabby arms. I tend to store most of my fat in my upper arms and stomach.

I'm doing more strength-training this time around, so hopefully I will see less bat wings.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    This is an issue, for sure. I'd say mostly for women. Younger women's skin will probably bounce back better than old gals like me. I lift hand-weights on a consistent basis and have noticed more muscle definition on outside of my arms and shoulders, but, sadly, still have the batwings. I'm an older woman who has come to exercise only late in life, so probably deserve this! I do see fairly fit women at the gym, even younger ones, with the same problem. I guess the drastic expensive painful solution is skin-removal surgery! Not a healthy approach, obviously. There are other benefits that come with lifting weights, so I plan to keep doing it. We all should.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people mistake unflexed triceps for "bat wings". Your underarm is going to hand somewhat and move when your tricep is unflexed. If you don't have excess skin and fat, that might be what you are seeing.
  • wimberleybonnette737
    wimberleybonnette737 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have read fat storage in arms can be a hormonal imbalance of sorts. Worth reading up on.
  • misch_ka
    misch_ka Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say mine are abnormal, but I have always had very skinny upper body compared to my more curvy lower body, but that's not the case anymore - now my upper arms have some 'meat' on them, that unfortunately mostly hangs and I think it's rather unsightly if I want to wear spaghetti straps, etc. I'm still pear shaped, but this upper arm thing ... is for some reason bothering me more than anything else. It may be a hormonal thing, like the poster above me mentioned ... considering I've had two kids.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people mistake unflexed triceps for "bat wings". Your underarm is going to hang somewhat and move when your tricep is unflexed. If you don't have excess skin and fat, that might be what you are seeing.

This.

My unflexed tricep looks like the batty-ist batwing you ever did see. Even flexed it jiggles a bit because your body is a body, not a marble sculpture. There needs to be flexibility in the movement of skin or it'd tear every time you moved. You can't spot reduce but you can try and build your newbie muscles with weights like you have been or with a mix of bodyweight exercises, that's how I grounded my chubby take off. :smile: