Maybe I'm weird..Maybe I'm gross...But am I alone?

Options
nikoba
nikoba Posts: 291 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
I was running around all day with errands and stopped at a Hardee's to grab a burger with no bun. I get home and the burger had a bun.

I removed the meat from the bread, but oddly the bun was calling me. I decided to take a bite of the bun, chew it a bit to get the taste and mouth feel, but rather than swallow & eat it, I spit it out.
It was enough to quench the craving to just have it in my mouth for a bit.

I know this may make me a gross weirdo, but does anyone else do this?

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're totally a gross weirdo. :D

JK, I chew and spit out Bob's pasta when I check it. Same thing, it helps the urge. :)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I have been known to put a taste of something in my mouth and then spit it out into my napkin right away. I think people who care about what they put in their mouths are thoughtful and selfcaring. So ya, they are kinda weird in a very good way.

I had bought a different chocolate than I normally eat, we were out with another couple. I had one bite, knew I did not want to eat the rest of the bar, and put it in the nearest trash bin the guy with us, a fellow choco lover, almost jumped into the trash bin to get it. Now that is seriously weird.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »
    I was running around all day with errands and stopped at a Hardee's to grab a burger with no bun. I get home and the burger had a bun.

I removed the meat from the bread, but oddly the bun was calling me. I decided to take a bite of the bun, chew it a bit to get the taste and mouth feel, but rather than swallow & eat it, I spit it out.
    It was enough to quench the craving to just have it in my mouth for a bit.

I know this may make me a gross weirdo, but does anyone else do this?

I am pretty sure I would turn into a newt if I did that.
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'll take a VERY SMALL nibble of something (and eat it), if I'm super tempted or if someone asks me to try some carby food. I'm talking like a nibble the size of a standard vitamin supplement. It's just enough to get a good taste, but not enough to kick me out of ketosis (thus far). The challenge is not to eat any more than just a nibble lol. So far so good.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've never done that. I don't know if I would trust must to spit it out.
  • llbreuer2006
    llbreuer2006 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'll take a VERY SMALL nibble of something (and eat it), if I'm super tempted or if someone asks me to try some carby food. I'm talking like a nibble the size of a standard vitamin supplement. It's just enough to get a good taste, but not enough to kick me out of ketosis (thus far). The challenge is not to eat any more than just a nibble lol. So far so good.

That has worked for me, too. I won't do that with anything sugary because I wouldn't be able to stop, but I found that I can have one french fry off my hubby's plate and it satisfies me. Plus, then I don't feel deprived! The biggest thing for me is not looking at this as a temporary diet that I have to get through. This has to be a life long WOE if I want to stay healthy. That means sometimes I make the choice to splurge a little so I don't cheat myself into a downward spiral. My long term satisfaction with my eating habits it's much more important to me than the sort term weight loss goal. I'll get there eventually, but I don't want the journey to be miserable.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I occasionally take a bite or drink of something my husband has provided it's gluten free. I actually eat it though not spit it out. I'm pretty good at limiting to just one taste.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are 'weird', be careful please to ensure you do not develop a disorder. This being said in the most caring way, this is a touchy subject I know.
    Saying that, I know where you are coming from, can you not work it into your meal plan for the day?
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I really love nacho/ corn chip flavouring. So sometimes when Im alone and they are calling me I just lick both sides of the chips and don't eat them..... its basically salt and seasonings any way

I am TOTALLY going to do this next time I get a craving.
  • cr8ivewonder
    cr8ivewonder Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to take a tiny bite of things my kid or BF are eating from time to time. Homemade cookies, ice cream, etc. It's the tinest bite, and it usually tastes so sweet I don't want any more of it. I can control myself, but I find one bite satisfies me from wanting more.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Yes, you are 'weird', be careful please to ensure you do not develop a disorder. This being said in the most caring way, this is a touchy subject I know.
    Saying that, I know where you are coming from, can you not work it into your meal plan for the day?

I do appreciate the concern and recognize those who expressed this sentiment did so in a positive way...I guess I never thought of it as gateway to a possible eating disorder. I figured it a cheat free way of giving into a craving. I think it if it was something of more value I would have just fit it into my day (I did last week to 1/8 fraction of a donut)...but given that it was a crappy fast food hamburger bun, I really didn't want to tack it on.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Lol I have licked doritos many times, then thrown them away. A whole bag once or twice :) No clue how many calories/carbs I end up with, but usually all I really want is the taste in my mouth - I dont need the physical chip in my stomach to quench that craving.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Be aware the enzymes that break down carbs are primarily in your saliva and some of these will enter your blood stream from your mouth. Dr Bernstein did a demonstration of this during a live debate over LC for diabetes several years ago using wheat bread, so it wasn't even a sugary food.

Yes. I was actually looking for the video of this but couldn't find it.
    Digestion, including insulin response starts when food is in the mouth.
    You do not avoid all of the glucose by spitting it out. You also don't avoid your body triggering insulin in anticipation of the sweet food it thinks you just ate.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have done that but it was more I took a bite of something and went what am I doing and spit it out. it was an in pulse to grab it and as soon as I took a bite I realized what I'd done and spit it out.