Sorry I'm craving a chinese - what could I order?

Options
KittyO77
KittyO77 Posts: 9 Member
Apologies in advance but I was wondering if anyone could give a recommendation of something off a Chinese menu that is LC/HF?

I know obviously noodles and rice is off the menu but surely there is something that's not bad?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go to a buffet, so that I can also get boiled shrimp, and the occasional chicken stick, etc. If you are ordering at a place where they make to order, you can just ask them to not add XYZ to the order. Generally meat/veggie combos with a sauce aren't too bad, other than some cornstarch and maybe sugars in small doses. I know I had broccoli beef not long ago, and was like, "Wow, that sauce is SWEET!" I can honestly say, despite all the time I've been on different plans, I'd never noticed it that strongly.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I am not much for Chinese in general, but I would agree with @KnitOrMiss regarding the fact buffet is best option so you can choose what to eat and can stick with the meat and veggies. Sauces can be an issue, but depending on your level of carb intake, most can make this fit into their plan.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    KittyO77 wrote: »
    Apologies in advance but I was wondering if anyone could give a recommendation of something off a Chinese menu that is LC/HF?

I know obviously noodles and rice is off the menu but surely there is something that's not bad?

Here are some good guidelines for eating out Chinese:
    https://www.verywell.com/low-carb-eating-in-a-chinese-restaurant-2241931

If I eat out Chinese, I will go with Suzchan, as that regional cooking tends to not use as much sugar/starchy coatings as the other regions do. And that article mentions Mongolian, I like the places that serve that and you pick out the meat, veggies, and add sauces at the end, so you don't have to have them with any sauces if you want. Plain rice wine vinegar is one of my favs to add to Mongolian beef. I don't think I have even had any since starting this WOE, will have to think about going soon. A break from my steak house and Mexican places.
  • llbreuer2006
    llbreuer2006 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When I order Chinese I usually order broccoli beef. I know there are hidden carbs, but I don't worry too much as long as I don't do it regularly. Another option is making it at home. I have a recipe that I tweaked to be VERY low carb. I will post it below. I like that I can adjust the spiciness since I prefer my broccoli beef a little spicy. I actually like this recipe better than restaurant broccoli beef.

Broccoli Beef Recipe
    Servings 6
    calories per serving

from allrecipes.com

10 Ingredients

1 lb(s), Sirloin
    2 tsp(s), Xanthan Gum
    2 tbsp, Oil - Vegetable, canola
    3 cup(s), Broccoli, raw
    0.25 cup(s), Chicken Broth
    green onions, chopped
    4 handful, Bean Sprouts
    0.25 cup, Soy sauce
    3 Tsp. (5g), Minced Garlic
    1 tsp, Crushed Red Peppers

cook the sirloin in the oil, garlic, red pepper and soy sauce then add the veggies. After veggies are cooked, use a salt shaker to add the xantan gum so it doesn't clump. If you need more sauce just add more broth. If you want it thicker, add more xanthan gum.

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 6.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 166
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 8 g
    12 %
    Saturated Fat 2 g
    8 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 3 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 27 mg
    9 %
    Sodium 926 mg
    39 %
    Potassium 218 mg
    6 %
    Total Carbohydrate 7 g
    2 %
    Dietary Fiber 2 g
    8 %
    Sugars 2 g

Protein 18 g
    35 %
    Vitamin A
    8 %
    Vitamin C
    76 %
    Calcium
    3 %
    Iron
    6 %

• Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    This stuff comes in rice or noodle form

It is really good! Briefly sautee and done. It has changed the way I eat!

I can have stir fry with rice now.

obco4cg2hu0s.png
  • llbreuer2006
    llbreuer2006 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    When I order Chinese I usually order broccoli beef. I know there are hidden carbs, but I don't worry too much as long as I don't do it regularly. Another option is making it at home. I have a recipe that I tweaked to be VERY low carb. I will post it below. I like that I can adjust the spiciness since I prefer my broccoli beef a little spicy. I actually like this recipe better than restaurant broccoli beef.

Here is the crazy thing - once you change to this WOE, you will find that EVERYTHING made at home tastes better than what you get in a restaurant. This probably has to do with using better/real fats. With that in mind, I would recommend swapping out that vegetable oil in the recipe for an oil that is good for you. The processing they have to do to get oil from a vegetable is not good.

That's a very good point!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Chinese restaurants can also do anything steamed. I have to be gluten free so I always order mine steamed generally a mix of meats and shrimp and lower carb veg. I ask for sesame oil and chili garlic sauce on the side and you could ask for soy sauce on the side too. Doctor it up as hot, salty, and oily as you like. Mongolian grill is great too!
  • KittyO77
    KittyO77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. Very grateful
  • tinachris14
    tinachris14 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Be careful! Chinese kicked me out of ketosis. I had the chicken on a stick, butter garlic shrimp, and beef and broccoli. I am beginning to realize that I can't trust food that I didn't cook.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My family loves Chinese. When we order, I'll get Chinese spare ribs and spicy sauted broccoli.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Be careful! Chinese kicked me out of ketosis. I had the chicken on a stick, butter garlic shrimp, and beef and broccoli. I am beginning to realize that I can't trust food that I didn't cook.

Those chicken on a stick things can be really hit or miss. One place my ex-wife and I used to eat at gave her no problems. One on the otherside of town though, used a sugar loaded coating before grilling them.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Best to make it at home yourself, there's sugar hidden everywhere in Westernised Chinese food. If you want that super soft tender Chinese food texture, you can achieve that by slicing your chicken or beef, coating it in baking soda, letting it sit for 15-30 mins, rinsing it all off, patting it dry and then pan frying it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I generally avoid the chicken. 9 times out of 10, it's breaded, and when it's not, it tends to be covered in a sugary sauce.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    This stuff comes in rice or noodle form

It is really good! Briefly sautee and done. It has changed the way I eat!

I can have stir fry with rice now.

obco4cg2hu0s.png

Yep, @Working2BLean ...I'm a fan of Miracle Rice and Miracle Noodles too...but did you know that you can use Miracle Rice as a sub for tapioca pearls to make LCHF friendly tapioca??!! I kid you not. My mother absolutely adores Tapioca pudding (I don't - never did learn to like it so for me it's just "meh") and she loves it when I make up some for her! lol
  • JesusJami
    JesusJami Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello CSTE, when I order my 2nd favorite food (Chinese) my local Great Wall, I order chicken chow mein, which is chicken,bean sprouts,Chinese cabbage and celery with no cornstarch. It's a little more "brothy",but still delish! Ok, I'm gonna have to order for dinner tomorrow!!!