Breast stroke kick?

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
I'm excited to find this group! I just got back into lap swimmimg last fall after 15 years off, but I was never c ompetitibe or anything. In fact, I learned most of my strokes around age 30.

Anyway, I was wondering whether you use a frog kick or whip kick on your breast stroke, and why? Thanks!

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    When someone gets in my lane and starts beat stroke, I call it the attack mode kick. I have to be careful passing them. Gotten kicked many times. :D
  • lorrpb
    Options
    That's why I like having my own lane, which usually happens. I do a lot of breast stroke.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I realized I did not know the difference between the two kicks. Are you asking about the scissor kick (used for side stroke) and frog/whip kick? Unless you are competing, I don't think it matter which you use.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    The video is what learned to be the whip kick. In what I know as the frog kick, you bend your knees out to each side with soles together, then straighten legs while bringing them together, like in the elementary back stroke. I just wondered which people prefer and if whip kick is a lot more effective? Maybe only us oldies ever learned the frog kick!
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The main problem with the frog kick is that by widening the knees you create a lot of drag. By keeping your knees at hip width, bringing your heels towards your butt on the recovery and getting your propulsion from your feet and calves, you get much more power and momentum. So basically the whip kick is more efficient, regardless of your level of swimming.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Got kicked a half dozen times tonight. Oval with 3 other people doing breast in the fast lane. :Did
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I do whip kick and always wondered why i frequently was the kickee but never the kicker. Now I know why!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I whip, and I can hurt myself and others.

I've broken two toes by swimming to close and catching them on lane ropes, and left a very impressive on a fellow swimmer when I was swimming a bit too close to his lane and he a bit too close to mine, and I whailed him pretty good on the thigh. Fortunately, the toes healed and the buised compatriot recovered and held no ill will.

Suffice it to say I'm much more careful about lane position now!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure my breaststroke kick is appalling. Takes me 2 minutes to do 100m of the kick.

Read this today am going to look up more stuff....
    https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/common-breaststroke-mistakes-part-two/