Hormones and IF/ Keto

Options
I feel like the last couple months of doing solid 16/8 IF and eating keto have caused my cycle to be messed up. I have read that fasting can affect female hormones because it makes it easier for those who do IF to under eat....but I eat at maintenance (~2,000 kcal/day and no less than 1,700 on a lower activity day). Anyone have any thoughts on this? My BF% is about 20% right now, so I feel sort of defeated as to knowing why my cycle is so jacked up. Lol. And I know this is something I should ask a doctor, but I thought I would reach out to see if anyone else has experienced this or knows of someone who has.

Replies

• inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I wish I could be of more help, but keto has the opposite effect on my hormones. I have PCOS, so while I am regular each month, it minimizes both the premenstrual and menstrual symptoms each month. I do find my flow is heavier at the beginning of LCHF, but evens out as the months pass. Admittedly, I am not IFing, though. I plan to eventually, so I will be listening in.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Could it be athletic amenorrhea? There are numerous articles on line.

The only reason it comes to mind is I recently reviewed (out of curiosity) a cookbook written by 2 UNC female athletes one of who is an Olympic marathon runner. She had training related menstrual "issues".

For any low carber (not keto) folks who might be interested the book is Run Fast Eat Slow. It is a cookbook. Does include fours, grains, legumes, etc. Emphasizes use of fats also.
  • wimberleybonnette737
    wimberleybonnette737 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Could it be athletic amenorrhea? There are numerous articles on line.

The only reason it comes to mind is I recently reviewed (out of curiosity) a cookbook written by 2 UNC female athletes one of who is an Olympic marathon runner. She had training related menstrual "issues".

For any low carber (not keto) folks who might be interested the book is Run Fast Eat Slow. It is a cookbook. Does include fours, grains, legumes, etc. Emphasizes use of fats also.

Possible, actually. I do sprint HIIT 2-3 days a week in the morning fasted. The other 2 days I do low intensity (just walking at a slower pace -- have a desk job so I like to move more to counter-act the sitting at a desk for 8 hours-thing) I have BPC about an hour or so later and then do not eat until lunch time. So I should say I do not do the 100% traditional fasting. I eat lunch and then do heavy lifting in the afternoon.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I found this info that's not specific to IF or low carb but offers some insight into fitness/activity level connections.
    Apparently, it can be more correlated to low total body weight than even total bodyfat. If your BMI is on the low end regardless of bodyfat, there's more chance of menstruation issues.
    Also talks about connection to simply pushing yourself too hard.
    Maybe something in there will make sense for you.
    https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/what-really-causes-irregular-menstrual-cycles-in-female-athletes
  • wimberleybonnette737
    Options
    I found this info that's not specific to IF or low carb but offers some insight into fitness/activity level connections.
    Apparently, it can be more correlated to low total body weight than even total bodyfat. If your BMI is on the low end regardless of bodyfat, there's more chance of menstruation issues.
    Also talks about connection to simply pushing yourself too hard.
    Maybe something in there will make sense for you.
    https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/what-really-causes-irregular-menstrual-cycles-in-female-athletes

Thank you! My BMI according to my doctor and my monthly BodPod results show me in normal range, but honestly anything is possible. I will read this article now!
  • wimberleybonnette737
    Options
    Maybe I need to give my body more time to adjust. While I train hard I do make time for rest and recovery and definitely am eating for my height/weight and energy level. I appreciate all of your input!