What fruits are allowed...if any?

Options
sniemana
sniemana Posts: 9 Member
I have done low card on and off for a long time. However, I am trying to up my intake of fruits and veggies and want to know if fruits are allowed?

Thanks for your input!

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Most berries are probably the lowest. I'm also tempted by a Passion fruit every now and then if you want a strong kick of flavour. The best way I have figured out to have apple is to freeze slices and you could have a couple of slices instead of a whole apple.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Great answer @ccrdragon ! I'm a T2D so I limit fruit intake to only berries which are low in carbs and even that only maybe a few times a month. But if you are on the higher end of low carb you can eat it more often and more variety.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a half apple (8 net carbs) or a cutie (10 net carbs) with breakfast. I like fruit, and on days when I am more active in the morning, I justify it. My "soft" goal is 20 net, and I have to be pretty careful with what I eat the rest of the day. I have not seen spikes in glucose levels, although I am not especially good about checking in the morning since on the days I do it, since I am usually at work, and the glucometer stays home.

I am not sure how much help that is. I am T2 diabetic, and so my issues may be different than yours.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    For carb-sensitive T2Ds and folks anxious to stay in ketosis, carbs/hour may be important, too.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I am not carb sensitive, so had a small portion of blood orange and cranberry smoothie yesterday - pretty much blew all my carbs in one go, but totally worth it.
  • WG_Keto
    WG_Keto Posts: 33 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I think raspberries are relatively low, if you don't eat to many.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a "fruit" person. Never have been but many of what we conventionally consider veg are actually botanically fruit....I digress. ANYWAY, I eat most veg cause I like it and it likes me. I try to stay under 35 total grams of carbohydrates daily and eat mostly green leafies, radish, cucumber, bell pepper, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, some avocado...I'm sure I'm leaving things out. I avoid legumes, corn and potato simply cause I don't like them enough to make room for them in my daily personal allowance.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your carb limit and sugar tolerance.
    Is there a specific reason you're trying to increase fruit?
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    In order for you to set the parameters for your diet and determine what your own dietary rules are, you need to decide what your nutritional goals are and then you can determine if fruit fits into your programme. As you're here in this group,I'm guessing you're eating a low carb diet. The fruits lowest in carbs are blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries. But low carb could mean anything from no carb to upwards of 150g carbs a day, so deciding where on the spectrum you want to or need to fall will help you figure what fruits, if any, can fit into your diet.