Paleo and Fibromyalgia

Options
crazymommy5
crazymommy5 Posts: 65 Member
I was wondering if anyone with Fibromyalgia has found much relief in going Paleo? I started on Whole30. Instead of reintroducing foods I just moved on towards a Paleo lifestyle. I live traditional Paleo with the exception of occasionally salting my food and I enjoy sweet potatoes. I have also stopped consuming "nightshades". My restless leg syndrome is gone, I've noticed some of my swelling is down and some of my overall pain has diminished. Is it all in my head?! Any other success stories out there?

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Joint pain and stiffness (diagnosed as arthritis) much decreased through Paleo (sometimes primal with full fat dairy). Restless leg gone. Bloating only comes back when I eat grains or non-full-fat dairy. I avoid nightshades most of the time. I used to get three days of pain and stiffness if I'd eat nightshades, but after doing this for five years, I can very occasionally have them without penalty.
  • Pathmonkey
    Pathmonkey Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It's not in your head....makes perfect sense. My friend is experiencing the great results you are too. Good on ya!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Update: AIP eating can be a funny (not haha) thing. Yesterday I posed about how I can eat some nightshades, once in a while (not oftener than once or twice a month) and not have pain and stiffness. I was able to add potatoes first, then Mexican seasoning (chiles and peppers), and finally a limited amount of tomatoes.

Yesterday evening, I added curry powder to our chicken salad. I haven't had curry in years. It is going to stay crossed off my list awhile longer. I had a clear and miserable reaction: bloating, digestive pain, joint and even tendon and ligament pain.

So there's something in the curry powder (haven't looked at the ingredients yet this morning) that really set things off. I will have to stick with AIP "curry" (I haven't made it in awhile, but I think I remember turmeric and cinnamon as two of the ingredients? Definitely turmeric, I don't remember the other stuff.)
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have anklyosing spondylitis (an autoimmune disorder) and have also noticed a huge difference.
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    "I live traditional Paleo with the exception of occasionally salting my food and I enjoy sweet potatoes. "

Maybe I'm confused but neither of these things are not paleo. Paleo believes in the use of pink Himalayan salt and sweet potatoes are highly nutritious.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    pope705 wrote: »
    "I live traditional Paleo with the exception of occasionally salting my food and I enjoy sweet potatoes. "

Maybe I'm confused but neither of these things are not paleo. Paleo believes in the use of pink Himalayan salt and sweet potatoes are highly nutritious.

Fact is that "Paleo" is not a specific diet, but rather a movement which includes many authors, and there is not an unanimous consensus on what to avoid.
    So for instance if you read Cordain you will find out that indeed his diet aims to be low in sodium and excludes all starchy vegetables, including sweet potatoes.
    In my opinion, we don't need to be dogmatic, everybody should tailor their own diet according to their needs and how their body responds to the diet.
    Do you have high blood pressure? you may need to limit your sodium intake.
    Are you diabetic/pre-diabetic? you may need to avoid starchy foods.
  • bugmom92
    bugmom92 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    To answer your question...and why I'm here looking for a support group in this direction...I originally went off gluten with a celiac disease diagnosis, and within 2 weeks my nighttime leg pain, neuralgia, and RLS were gone. After years of suffering, gone. I tended to eat mostly paleo, but not entirely...a sugar monster lives in my soul, and tends to possess my body quite often. I also have a dx of fibromyalgia. My chiropractor had me read Dr Gundry's Diet Evolution and eat his protocol. Very close to primal, almost a bit more restrictive in some ways, looser in other ways. I ate this way for a month. 3 weeks into it, my fibro pain was almost entirely gone and I'd lost 7 lbs. Then, because I dove into it too fast (I know myself and should have taken it by steps), and because my head and attitude were not in the right place, I rebelled, gained the weight, and got to have my pain back. That was 2 years ago. I see the difference on a day to day basis...what I eat (sugar monster rearing its ugly head, or not) directly affecting my pain scale for the day. I've been playing at eating "right", making excuses all this time. No more. I'm done. The pain and the weight I carry isn't worth the sweet, bubbly goodness of a Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper....(sigh). Really, it isn't, and I'm ready to do something about it. I pulled Dr Gundry's book off my shelf last night. I know from experience that eating whole foods and no added sugars works - at least for me. You need to try it, be consistent, and keep with it. Tweak it to what works for you. Maybe you can eat a potato now and again, maybe you can't. The longer you eat this way, the quicker you'll realize your body's response to foods that might not agree with you. My celiac symptoms including many "atypical" symptoms...things I never would have thought were connected or could have to do with a "digestive disorder" (as I thought of it at the time). Now if I inadvertently get "glutened", I will know it by how my body responds, and it's not necessarily digestive. This isn't just all in your head. Keep going, and listen to what your body is saying to you. And yeah, this pep talk wasn't just for you! Good luck!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    @crazymommy5
    I do not have fibromyalgia but I was beginning to have widespread joint pain that I thought was osteoarthritis. This was at 34. After two Whole30s and swinging back and forth between Primal-ish and SAD (standard American diet) that I need to eat mostly veggies, good quality protein, and healthy fats to keep the aches away. It sounds like your experience was a success!
    Question (assuming you're a mom from your profile name!) how do you feed the kids?
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi I too have fibromyalgia I never felt better than when I was paleo but I gave it up as my husband doesn't believe in "fad diets" as be calls them and was giving me a hard time. I am now heavier than ever depressed and struggling with fibromyalgia. I keep saying I'm going to start again but never get around to it. It works I just need to get my head together.
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and am on a diet closer to Primal. I have found it helpful and know a couple people who are a similar diet (one of them is on a stricter diet). All three of us have seen some improvement with symptoms since being on the diet.