5 AM workouts....how in the....

Options
NelsonKatelyn
NelsonKatelyn Posts: 120 Member
I'm struggling to find time/energy in the evenings to make it to the gym. My options are 8PM or later, or get up before the rising sun to get there before work. Both are a struggle!! I would prefer to knock it out first thing in the morning, but getting out of my warm bed that early has proved to be difficult. Are any of you early risers? How do you literally force yourself out of bed. It sounds so simple!! Alarm goes off, you get out of bed. I've never been a morning person, but I need to become one. All tips are appreciated!!

Replies

• Snowfairy2015
    Snowfairy2015 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5am but I am definitely not ready for a workout at that time. I need some caffeine and a good warm up first. First thing I do is start coffee, empty my dishwasher, start a load of laundry, drink coffee while walking around. At this point it might be 5:20 and I can start a workout but nothing too strenuous. I am becoming very interested in kettlebells and I've using them at home.
    Getting a good night sleep is important so get to sleep early at night. I had trouble with this at the beginning so I used melatonin to help me fall asleep the first couple of weeks. Start getting up just a few minutes earlier in the morning. Get up 10 minutes earlier this week and then add 5 minutes to that every week until early rising becomes second nature to you. It takes time but it will happen.
  • katepauul26
    katepauul26 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I usually get up for work at 6 but the past three weeks I've been getting up at 5 and getting to the gym by 5:30 and getting an hour workout in three days a week. I pack my lunch, purse and gym bag the night before and sleep in my gym clothes. i can leave my house in five minutes. I don't find the difference between getting up at 5 or 6 (they both suck!) but i love having guilt free evenings to myself
  • jesguinn
    jesguinn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm also not a morning person, but I work full time so early mornings are the only time I can really get my workout in without taking time away from my family. For me the key is having partners to workout with. M,W,Th I wake up at 4:15 to get everything prepped for work and then make it to my 5:30 barre class. I schedule my classes in advance and there is a $10 late cancellation fee if you cancel less than two hours ahead of time, so that motivates me to get out of bed! Also, I'm in a running group so I schedule 5:00 a.m. group runs on Tu and Fri. Knowing my running buddies are expecting me to be there holds me accountable. After such early mornings during the week, waking up later for the 7:00 barre class on the weekend feels like a luxury!
  • NelsonKatelyn
    Options
    jesguinn wrote: »
    I'm also not a morning person, but I work full time so early mornings are the only time I can really get my workout in without taking time away from my family. For me the key is having partners to workout with. M,W,Th I wake up at 4:15 to get everything prepped for work and then make it to my 5:30 barre class. I schedule my classes in advance and there is a $10 late cancellation fee if you cancel less than two hours ahead of time, so that motivates me to get out of bed! Also, I'm in a running group so I schedule 5:00 a.m. group runs on Tu and Fri. Knowing my running buddies are expecting me to be there holds me accountable. After such early mornings during the week, waking up later for the 7:00 barre class on the weekend feels like a luxury!

4:15??!! Props to you!! Now I'm really curious, what time do you go to bed at night? lol
  • shangrilamama
    shangrilamama Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I get up no later than 5:30, put the clean dishes away, feed the dog, drink my coffee, take my vitamins and eat a fiber bar. Then I head downstairs and hit the treadmill or do my floor workout. It took me a LONG time to get into this routine. I HATE working out, I do it, but I don't like it. Therefore, I need that routine time to talk myself into my workout. LOL I do know that if I don't workout in the morning before work, I definitely won't do it after.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to the 5 am club before I had children and then after my son turned 6 months. My motivation was that I was seeing results. I'm a morning person so it worked. Now I'm up too many times throughout the night so my options are after 8pm or squeeze it in during the day if I find time or don't do it at all...like tonight. I'm a zombie right now so just hoping wishing and praying my children start to develop better sleeping habits.
  • Mjtckwnow
    Mjtckwnow Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I like to run first thing when i get up but I like to do yoga, weights, etc...once my daughter goes to sleep and I have alone time. Having something like a race on the calendar helps keep my motivated to get up and go but that being said I'm not a morning person and will never be in the 5 am workout club. When I want to get going early in the morning, I make sure I lay out the night before everything I will need to get my workout in so I don't have to get up even earlier to get organized.
  • jesguinn
    jesguinn Posts: 94 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    4:15??!! Props to you!! Now I'm really curious, what time do you go to bed at night? lol

I usually go to bed around 10. Most days I grab a quick power nap during lunch!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have been getting up at 5:15 for the last few weeks. I started by setting my alarm 15 minutes earlier and just doing a couple of rounds of this "100 calorie burner workout" I found on Pinterest. Then I moved it back another 15 minutes then another. Now its 5:15 and I have time for a full hour long workout before its time to get ready for work. I have a home gym with treadmill and TV so that is a major bonus and I only allow myself to watch my Bravo shows if I am on the treadmill. Once you have a good routine going it get easier plus I sleep much better when I've had a good workout.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to join the 5 AM club when summer hits so I can get a run in before the heat increases, working part time and school part time. I'll let ya know how it goes lol
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've been experimenting with my gym routine and trying to figure out what works best for my schedule right now. I am not a morning person at all, but I will say that the days I made it to the gym before work, I had a much better work day and felt so much more energized! Getting up is the hardest part, but once I'm up, it makes the rest of the day so much better!
  • NelsonKatelyn
    Options
    khenik6064 wrote: »
    I've been experimenting with my gym routine and trying to figure out what works best for my schedule right now. I am not a morning person at all, but I will say that the days I made it to the gym before work, I had a much better work day and felt so much more energized! Getting up is the hardest part, but once I'm up, it makes the rest of the day so much better!

I agree, I feel better throughout the day if I get that morning gym session in. I'm going to try the advice above and make it a goal to get up 15 mins early each time until I find that point that allows me to get a full workout in and still manage to get back to the house in time to get ready for work.