New to Keto

Options
Momma_Raucks
Momma_Raucks Posts: 69 Member
Hey all, new to Keto here, and I am very excited to be trying this lifestyle out. I was curious, what should I expect to happen this first month on Keto when done right with weight lifting and cardio done in conjunction. I know we are all different, but im curious what typically happened to you?

Replies

• WG_Keto
    WG_Keto Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You'll probably lose a lot of numbers off the scale in the first week or 2, mostly water weight.
    I lost 8lbs in the first 2 weeks.

You'll be surprised how much your appetite is suppressed, I probably eat half the volume of food I used to and feel satisfied.

Don't forget plenty of sodium/salt.

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Read the launch pad. I can't stress that enough. It will help you avoid some significant problems and maximize upside.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Read the launch pad. I can't stress that enough. It will help you avoid some significant problems and maximize upside.

This!!!

Aaaaaaaand welcome!
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Keto!! Hope you love it as much as me!!
    I started Keto a week or so into the new year. These are my numbers that I track on a weekly basis.
    9hgtugjexuhw.png
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    @motorcyclekopp that is a great chart!! I remember tracking something similar to this many moons ago in excel with my "fancy scale". I need to pull that up and start using it again. Thanks for the kick in the pants!!
  • Momma_Raucks
    Options
    You guys are amazing support, thank you. So far, week 1 has exceeded expectation, I am down .. get this... 5.5lbs in 3 days.... crazy water weight right??!! and headaches YES, off and on Nausea! I will go read about the sodium thing, I instantly feel better when I have my avocado and salt, so there must be something to it.
    Thanks for the insight you guys, Im excited to be a part of the ride with you all!!!
  • Momma_Raucks
    Options
    Welcome to Keto!! Hope you love it as much as me!!
    I started Keto a week or so into the new year. These are my numbers that I track on a weekly basis.
    9hgtugjexuhw.png

That's just damn amazing. I love when ppl show me charts... Im such a numbers freak.
    Congrats on the 15 lbs or so lost, that's great!!!!!
  • Let_It_Bern15
    Let_It_Bern15 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new to keto as well. I started on Monday. I hope I am doing it correctly so far. I've been loading up on podcasts, articles, youtube vids, and now all of the discussion threads in here and it definitely is information overload (There are still so much more to listen to in my queues!). It is a relief to find this group and possibly receive more firsthand guidance and quicker answers to questions instead of spending all the time sifting through all the digital info. With all of the information out there, I get flustered as I am learning since not everyone does it the same and not all experiences may be relevant to my body and lifestyle. Being a newb and all, I just want to make sure that I am doing all the right things to make this new change as beneficial and sustainable as I can. My apologies if I should have started my own thread rather than just jump into this one. I suppose I could be a newb to message boards as well.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Phinney, Volek and Westman's New Atkins for a New You is a comprehensive but simple and practical keto guide, with sample meal plans.
  • Let_It_Bern15
    Let_It_Bern15 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Phinney, Volek and Westman's New Atkins for a New You is a comprehensive but simple and practical keto guide, with sample meal plans.

Thank you for this info! I will add that to my list of resources!

Does anybody recommend for first timers that are crunched for free time to fully dedicate to educating themselves more on keto and nutrition (I am also doing research to make complete balanced home cooked meals for my dogs and can work 50-60/wk at times so free time to really get through it all can feel very limited) to think about actually pay for coaching/personal assessment to get myself more confident in the choices to make as I start this lifestyle? (within reason of course, I saw a "money back guarantee" from one coach so I figured if there is not any catch, it would not hurt?) Or do you feel there are enough resources or people to go to in this forum and other message boards to get more thorough and specific information for myself without having to pay extra? Unfortunately, as with working out (lifting weights), I am someone that needs a little micromanaging/personal coaching to really understand the specifics and feel confident that what I am doing is correct. I would hate that I go this route and change my eating habits but it turns out that I miscalculated and end up gaining more or doing more harm nutritionally to my body.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Thank you for this info! I will add that to my list of resources!

Does anybody recommend for first timers that are crunched for free time to fully dedicate to educating themselves more on keto and nutrition (I am also doing research to make complete balanced home cooked meals for my dogs and can work 50-60/wk at times so free time to really get through it all can feel very limited) to think about actually pay for coaching/personal assessment to get myself more confident in the choices to make as I start this lifestyle? (within reason of course, I saw a "money back guarantee" from one coach so I figured if there is not any catch, it would not hurt?) Or do you feel there are enough resources or people to go to in this forum and other message boards to get more thorough and specific information for myself without having to pay extra? Unfortunately, as with working out (lifting weights), I am someone that needs a little micromanaging/personal coaching to really understand the specifics and feel confident that what I am doing is correct. I would hate that I go this route and change my eating habits but it turns out that I miscalculated and end up gaining more or doing more harm nutritionally to my body.

The launch pad of this group has nearly all the resources you need. You will also find many very helpful and knowledgeable members of this group, so when you have a question, first check the threads to see if has been answered. Since it is not possible to do a search and some are not always good about giving accurate/complete titles, you may need to just start a new one.

If you do start a new one, use a clear title like "Having issues with elevated BG after workouts" so those who can help will know to check out the thread. Titles like "HELP!!!!!" may not get you the responses you need from the people who can most help you.

However, the first step is perusing the launchpad. It is set up very well by topics and types of resources. I find listening to podcasts (of which many are recommended in the launch pad) while driving, at the gym or taking my dog for a walk is a good way to multi-task because I understand having limited time. I really liked when I figured out how to get the podcasts to play at 1 1/2 speed so I can get through an hour podcast in 40 minutes.

Welcome and best of luck to you!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Great tips.

BTW, you can call @cstehansen any time, day or night. His number is... oh, shoot, I had it right here.... hmm... *kitten*.

Oh, well. As long as you don't call the ADA by mistake, the New Atkins guide mentioned above and the Launchpad should be all you need to get some momentum going and your basic questions addressed.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad
  • motorcyclekopp
    Options
    If you prefer videos for quick bursts of information, two YouTube channels that have helped me learn & get good Ketogenic ideas is Dr. Eric Berg's channel & also Jason Wittrock's channel. If you type their names in YouTube with "Keto" or "Ketogenic" then you'll get some decent results. Also, like previously mentioned, listening to podcasts while driving is good too -I just recently discovered the Livin' La Vida Low Carb show with Jimmy Moore.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    If you prefer videos for quick bursts of information, two YouTube channels that have helped me learn & get good Ketogenic ideas is Dr. Eric Berg's channel & also Jason Wittrock's channel. If you type their names in YouTube with "Keto" or "Ketogenic" then you'll get some decent results. Also, like previously mentioned, listening to podcasts while driving is good too -I just recently discovered the Livin' La Vida Low Carb show with Jimmy Moore.

If you like Jimmy Moore, he also does a weekly podcast with Dr Adam Naly called KetoTalk with Jimmy and the Doc. They answer listener questions.
  • motorcyclekopp
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

If you like Jimmy Moore, he also does a weekly podcast with Dr Adam Naly called KetoTalk with Jimmy and the Doc. They answer listener questions.

Awesome!! I'll check it out!! Thanks!!
  • kphillips2420
    kphillips2420 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Week 4 or 5 commonly brings a complete stand still or even a gain. Happens all the time. If it didn't happen earlier, this is when people start thinking they are doing something wrong and start trying to make changes to "fix it".
    If it works the first few weeks, it will keep working. It won't just stop. But your body is in control. If you lose 4 pounds total the first 3 weeks and nothing the next, you still lost a pound a week. That's very good! Sometimes the body just doesn't respond the way we expect. Keep at it and don't convince yourself something "stopped working".

OMG! Thank you! I did great the first three weeks and this week absolutely nothing. I was momentarily crushed when I looked at that scale. I went on vacation for five days. Flew from 1100 elevation to 8100 elevation and skied at 10,000 elevation then flew home. I stayed keto while on vacay and got up every morning and hit the hotel gym. I was so proud about my commitment, but I let a number on a scale momentarily take that away.

I needed to be reminded that it's working. I feel better, I eat better, just keep at it. Thank you!
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Week 4 or 5 commonly brings a complete stand still or even a gain. Happens all the time. If it didn't happen earlier, this is when people start thinking they are doing something wrong and start trying to make changes to "fix it".
    If it works the first few weeks, it will keep working. It won't just stop. But your body is in control. If you lose 4 pounds total the first 3 weeks and nothing the next, you still lost a pound a week. That's very good! Sometimes the body just doesn't respond the way we expect. Keep at it and don't convince yourself something "stopped working".

OMG! Thank you! I did great the first three weeks and this week absolutely nothing. I was momentarily crushed when I looked at that scale. I went on vacation for five days. Flew from 1100 elevation to 8100 elevation and skied at 10,000 elevation then flew home. I stayed keto while on vacay and got up every morning and hit the hotel gym. I was so proud about my commitment, but I let a number on a scale momentarily take that away.

I needed to be reminded that it's working. I feel better, I eat better, just keep at it. Thank you!

Just FYI - due to hormonal differences between men and women, it is not uncommon for women to have some delays through the first couple months as their hormones adjust to this WOE. So don't give up.