Feeling discouraged, seeking advice

Options
aprilsun66
aprilsun66 Posts: 13 Member
Hello Keto friends,
I started LCHF keto on 2/15/17. I've been consistently in ketosis (according to the keto strips, no cheating) and have lost a total of 3.5 pounds. I had been up to 5 pounds, bur gained some back. My macros are 35/63/108, but had been 15/63/108, and calories at 1385.I do tend to go over on protein by about 10-15 gr., and sometimes calories, but early on i was too low on calories. I increased my carbs because I was so weak and exhausted all of the time. When I increased them, I dropped a pound and a half, and felt stronger. I'm really not sure what to do at this point. Advice is welcome, as are new keto friends. I can use all the support i can get!

Replies

• StarshipFighter23
    StarshipFighter23 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi April! It does seem that you're doing the right things - listening to your body and finding the right balance for your particular needs. 1385 seems to be a suitable calorie intake level and, if you've made up the extra carbs with good quality fruit and veg you're likely still on the right track. If you're still in keto at 35g carbs then you're likely fat adapted so I would say keep on keeping on and wait for the whoosh! Fat loss is notoriously non-linear with keto so you might find yourself suddenly dropping 5-10lb in a week once your body balances it's water requirements. As an aside, are you watching your electrolytes - sodium, potassium and magnesium? Keeping them in balance seems to be the main factor in making sure you don't feel like garbage on a keto diet!
  • aprilsun66
    Options
    Hi Starship,
    Thanks for your post. I did add electrolytes, and ACV in the mornings, during the 2nd week. Perhaps that is what has increased the feeling of wellness. What is fat adapted?
  • aprilsun66
    Options
    Oh, and I should add that I do struggle to get enough water in. I get about 4-5 glasses a day. Any more than that and I feel bloated. Could this be a culprit.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @aprilsun66 -

Switching to LCHF is a major change for your system! It helps immensely to know a few tricks of the trade....

Take a few moments and skim the LCD group's great collection of resources at http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad

It will be an eye-opener!

Phinney & Volek's New Atkins For A New You is a great intro book. There are lots of discussions and explanations that are not only detailed, but also clear for beginners.

Finally, the JumpstartMD YouTube channel has a collection of interview segments on Keto topics with Phinney and Volek. Highly recommended!

PS. Are you diabetic?
  • aprilsun66
    Options
    Hello Ralf,
    Thank you!! Lots of great info!! No I am not diabetic.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    When you say you get enough electrolytes but you're describing symptoms of low sodium...
    Are you getting over 3000mg every single day? Recommended is between 3000-5000mg every day. If you're drinking a few cups of water a day, you're fine. You don't need to force extra water. That could actually cause you to lose sodium even faster.
    Increasing carbs also supports the low sodium theory because increasing carbs increases insulin which causes sodium retention. The end result is the same. You feel more energized and less crappy. It's still due to sodium and not carbs. However, that's a perfectly reasonable carb level still.

Ultimately, you lost 3.5 pounds in about 3 weeks. That's fantastic! I doubt anything you've changed has had any affect on anything. Something that was working doesn't just suddenly stop. You can lose fat without losing scale weight. It actually happens all the time on keto. Plus, sometimes there are just pauses.
    Bottom line, if it worked for the first few weeks, it will keep working. There's no need to change anything. You've actually done very well!
    I went for a decent walk bday before yesterday and the next day my legs were sore. Scale jumped up 3 pounds and it hasn't gone down at all yet. It means nothing. I didn't pick up 3 pounds of fat overnight. That's impossible. It's just water.
    Your sodium/water levels don't sound balanced and I suspect you're having water retention due to the low sodium.
  • aprilsun66
    Options
    Thank you Sunny! This is very useful information. I did not realize that much sodium is required and I really don't think I am getting that much. You explain it in a way that it easy to understand.
    Thanks again,
    Judi
  • nanapuddin1
    nanapuddin1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sodium and magnesium are key for feeling of well being and energy. I take magnesium malate 400 mg morning and another 400 mg 1 hour before bedtime. To get 3000 mg of sodium will be 2 teaspoons of salt (I like sea salt and pink Himalayan salt). Every morning I place 2 teaspoons salt in a small mason jar with 6 tablespoons water. Shake well, then throughout the day I will add 2-3 teaspoons of this solution to some water and chug it down. This has helped me tremendously! You might want to check out the facebook group Optimal Ketogenic Living---fantastic group, lots of info and support. Based on Phinney and Volek's work. Hang in there, it does get easier :)
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Some of us, like myself, who drink much fluid, need even more sodium. It took some time and days of fatigue and headache before I consciously started measuring how much sodium, as an individual, I needed to stave off the electrolyte imbalance. I take 500mg of magnesium in like, five forms (country life calcium magnesium zinc blend) and I need around 6000mg of sodium. It's an experiment.

I hope you feel better!