I need tips on how to deal with cravings...

Options
ferret150
ferret150 Posts: 75 Member
I am struggling here. At least twice I have binged on Cashews in the last 2-3 weeks. I have not been able to control myself. I have eaten an entire 8oz can of planters cashews going over my 50g of carbs allotment and certainly taken myself out of ketosis. I have hid this from my boyfriend. He has really been supporting me and I don't want to disappoint him. I am seriously embarrassed that I have had and continue to have these slip ups. How do I get a handle on this and get back into the right mindframe? Any tips.

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What's your caloric deficit? Maybe it's too steep?
  • tinachris14
    tinachris14 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you. I had a slip up recently and binged for an entire weekend. I can't control myself with stuff like that so I don't buy it anymore.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would get cashews out of the house for a while. I still slip up on those and I've been eating this way for close to two years. If I do allow myself cashews, I need to measure them out. That slows me down somewhat. I mix them in with macadamias too. Those slow me somewhat as well.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Cashews are actually pretty high in carbs for a (so-called) nut.
    https://dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts

Perhaps a different kind of nut, and choose raw unsalted if you can... it's likely the roasted saltiness adds to their appeal.
  • ferret150
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

My calorie deficit is 1125. I'm 5'5" currently 178. Hoping to lose at least 30 more pounds.
  • ferret150
    Options
    I totally feel you. I had a slip up recently and binged for an entire weekend. I can't control myself with stuff like that so I don't buy it anymore.

I hear you. I say i am buying it for my boyfriend, he loves cashews, but secretly I have been eating them. I never done this before. I don't know what is up with me lately.
  • ferret150
    edited March 2017
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Cashews are actually pretty high in carbs for a (so-called) nut.
    https://dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts

Perhaps a different kind of nut, and choose raw unsalted if you can... it's likely the roasted saltiness adds to their appeal.

To be honest I am not even supposed to be eating nuts at all. I get migraines and nuts are a trigger. It is a serious craving that I am having for things that are going to do me harm. I have avoided nuts for years. But all of a sudden I have been eating them like crazy and ending up with worse headaches than I normally have.
  • ferret150
    Options
    Do cravings sometimes come from deficiencies?
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing LCHF? If you just started I honestly wouldn't set a calorie limit the first couple of weeks. Just a carb limit. After you adapt you usually don't get as hungry or have many cravings.

If I do have cravings due to hormones or whatever I eat more fatty things. Like a big bunless cheeseburger from Five Guys. Almost no carbs but it fills me up so I don't want anything else. Or I have tea with heavy cream between meals.

• ferret150
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    How long have you been doing LCHF? If you just started I honestly wouldn't set a calorie limit the first couple of weeks. Just a carb limit. After you adapt you usually don't get as hungry or have many cravings.

If I do have cravings due to hormones or whatever I eat more fatty things. Like a big bunless cheeseburger from Five Guys. Almost no carbs but it fills me up so I don't want anything else. Or I have tea with heavy cream between meals.

I've been on low carb since late July of 2016. But I was on birth control to regulate my periods and they completely stopped them. Now I am off since December 2016, because i had fibroid surgery. So I don't know if that may be it.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Cravings for me sometimes aren't for the actual food. They're for a specific taste combination or texture combination that food provides. Also, I know I want certain flavors or sensations in conjunction with others. Cravings, the voice in your head telling you to eat something, the inability to be satisfied with "reasonable" portions can come from different places/causes. What do the nuts provide you that you like? Salt? Fat? Crunch? etc.
  • ferret150
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    Cravings for me sometimes aren't for the actual food. They're for a specific taste combination or texture combination that food provides. Also, I know I want certain flavors or sensations in conjunction with others. Cravings, the voice in your head telling you to eat something, the inability to be satisfied with "reasonable" portions can come from different places/causes. What do the nuts provide you that you like? Salt? Fat? Crunch? etc.

Saltiness and fat and I think the fact that it has been forbidden to me for so long. I feel like I just need to have it, my brain is craving this one specific food. I think my menstrual cycle may be aiding me in these bad decisions too.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    ferret150 wrote: »

My calorie deficit is 1125. I'm 5'5" currently 178. Hoping to lose at least 30 more pounds.

Hummmm . . I'm going out on a limb here and say this calorie restriction is very low. If you are a healthy female your minimum should be 1200 and that's minimum! This kind of restriction can cause cravings and binges. I'm 55 years old 5'6" tall and typically eat a lot more than that. Lately I have been under but I go through phases like that and as long as it's not chronic I'm ok with it.

Plug your stats into MFP and see what it gives you for a calorie goal.

** I am not an MD and I am assuming you have no medical reason to be under 1200 cals a day. **
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    ferret150 wrote: »

I think you are eating too few calories. I'm 5'4" and I eat around 1,500 calories a day. I'd starve on anything less.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I agree with too few calories. I struggle with nuts too, and struggle with binge eating. Bingeing and hiding can be seen as eating disorder behavior. What's your take on that? I just don't want to offend anyone.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Check out this online summit to get tips from the pros
    http://sweetfreedomsummit.com
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I agree with too few calories. I struggle with nuts too, and struggle with binge eating. Bingeing and hiding can be seen as eating disorder behavior. What's your take on that? I just don't want to offend anyone.

I do that sometimes...sigh...still. It feels like "eating disorder" when I'm neck-deep in it.
    I don't know if it's "eating disorder" but it's definitely "disordered eating."
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Check out this online summit to get tips from the pros
    http://sweetfreedomsummit.com

Thanks for posting that @Sunny_Bunny_. I've registered for the April Summit.