Cough Drops??? Really???

Scochrane86
Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
I feel like death the last couple days.... busy season at work and little to no sleep (thanks kids) so I picked up some Halls cough drops this morning and they are helping a lot, but I just stuck it into my diary, and they are 4 carbs each! I have already had 3 :(
I need something, but don't want to be kicked out of ketosis because of fricken cough drops!!!

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    My non-expert non-medical advice would be to just focus on feeling better and don't worry about ketosis. You can always get back into ketosis later. For my last cold I got sugary cherry cough drops because IMHO the sugar-free ones taste like kittens.

Not saying having a cold or whatever is an excuse to blow all the limits, just don't get hung up on a few g of carbs in the medicine.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Steph_Maks wrote: »
    My non-expert non-medical advice would be to just focus on feeling better and don't worry about ketosis. You can always get back into ketosis later. For my last cold I got sugary cherry cough drops because IMHO the sugar-free ones taste like kittens.

Not saying having a cold or whatever is an excuse to blow all the limits, just don't get hung up on a few g of carbs in the medicine.

Good advice, no need causing more stress than I have to :)
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    I get the yogi cold teas. They help tremendously. Also, sugar free cough drops if needed. Or slippery elm. Or cherry bark. But I'm a bit witchy with the herbs.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    I used the riccola sf cough drops back in December, and they taste really good to me. TOO good in fact. My gut (and my cubicle neighbors I'm sure) didn't appreciate all the sugar alcohols. :s
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Ginger and lemon tea helps a lot. I use the sugar free one, they work as well as the ones with sugar. If my problem is allergies and I have itching eyes as well, I do have the G&L tea with local honey added. Nothing seems to work on that part of my allergies as much as local honey does, even prescription meds fail when it comes to my itching eyes. My honey comes from a hive within 4 miles of my home. So it really is local.
  • StarshipFighter23
    StarshipFighter23 Posts: 73 Member
    I've really struggled with a bad cough for the last few weeks which ultimately proved to be a chest infection which I am now on antibiotics for. I made the discovery before I took anything, that literally every possible cough remedy was LOADED with sugar... I did find however that keeping myself well hydrated - at least 100 fl.oz per day - really helped with the cough. I think the extra fluids loosen up the phlegm and make it easier for your body to break down. I found that helped, but in the end it wasn't a cure... Hopefully the antibiotics are!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    If I remember correctly, my homeopathic (totally against western medicine) aunts would use black pepper and chocolate to treat coughs. I mean they would literally give you black pepper by the spoon full. Dark Chocolate has some compound in it that also helps sooth coughs..I can't remember what it is though. Belladonna and Ferrum tablets can also be used to treat cough but if you've never spent time in the homeopathic remedy world I'd suggest having an experienced practitioner help out. Or, at the very least ask for some assistance upon purchase and read the labels very carefully.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    I have found a cough product called Safe Tussin. I has no sugar or dyes. I don't know if you can find it near you but here is the website I found:
    www.safetussin.com
  • Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    I hope you get feeling better soon! I will also say that there are non-medicinal ways to help a cough, and coffee is personally my favorite :p Like everyone is saying, focus on getting better and you can always kick back into ketosis when you're feeling a bit more like yourself!
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Some people swear by rubbing vick's medicated salve on the bottoms of your feet for cough. It would be worth a try!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Nyquil has ~100calories per dose IIRC so steer clear of that too. My mind was blown when I found that out.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I tend to drink herbal teas if I'm having any issue like that and take 10,000 mg vitamin C over the course of the day for a few days. Not the sugary, orange flavored candy ones. The pill or powder, ascorbic acid version.