Food is not appealing any more

Options
Zengrizzly
Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member
Hey all. Been KETO and low carb now for almost a month. I've gotten to the stage where I don't even want to eat any more. It's just makes me nauseous to think about it. Has anyone gotten there? Tips or tactics to move through. Four days in the last two weeks MFP wouldn't post my food diary because I was below calories. It's exhausting trying to get the protein in without carbs. lol

Replies

• suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    yeaaaa for you. It's so nice when those pesky cravings go away. Have you looked at tweaking your ratio's if the protein seems to high?
  • Zengrizzly
    Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Protein is is at 137g or lower.
  • WG_Keto
    WG_Keto Posts: 33 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Not nauseous, but Def a reduction in appetite.
    I don't know how many calories I used to eat daily, but just on volume of food I probably eat half or less now.
    I'm usually only hungry twice a day, 3 on gym days.
    I'm 48 days in now, and I have trouble meeting my caloric goal unless I eat big meals.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @Zengrizzly know what you mean but for me it is more like @WG_Keto . If I was tracking my food would be much less than a few weeks ago. I am at 30 months Keto.

Since I have another 30+ pounds to go for under 25 BMI I am happy about my lower appetite since I do not have a caloric goal but just eating when hungry. I am trying to make sure my carbs are under 50 grams most days and that I am eating enough protein.

Since I have maintained at around 200 for two years in my case I think my body may be going back to my old Set Point of around 175. At least I hope that is the case. :)

30 months in I have learned to better listen to my body. I do weigh every day and should I start losing weight really fast I would count up my calories.

Is your weight loss rate well over 2 pounds a week?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It won't last don't worry. Enjoy some intermittent fasting for a while. Make the meals you do eat count when it comes to protein.
    The hunger will perk back up at some point.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Steak/Chicken, Broccoli, & Mushrooms are a favorite of mine, pretty easy to pull out 800-900 calories easily in a single meal without excessive carbs. You could try upping your fats a bit, cook with butter, wrap in bacon, use cream cheese, etc.
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I eat mostly meat. Typically I end up over on my protein and carbs. Have my carbs set very low.
    Low on my fat. If I eat enough fat to meet goal my calories are way up there.

My stomach will be full, but that damn tongue of mine is always looking for something delicious.

Currently not losing as much as I want, but not gaining either...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    A ketogenic diet is typically a high fat diet. There's probably no reason to eat quite that high amount of protein but without more data no one can even guess a protein amount that might be right for you. Add more fat and enjoy some high fiber vegetables, counting net carbs. Unless you have a medical reason (other than excess weight) to be eating to purposely be in ketosis, ketosis is not required for weight loss. You might want to take a look at atkins.com for food tracking. It seems to take calories out of the equasion and places the focus on keeping net carbs under your goal plus eating sufficient fat and protein to get you "out of the orange", "into the green" but not "into the red".

Check it out. There's more than one way to lose weight, lose fat and track intake. Certainly Atkins is considered one of the front runners of effective very low carb eating for weight loss. I track on MFP but have periodically played around with the atkins site. It shows through use, that protein and fat are both essential macros/nutrients and are a range with a mimimum.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Since you're not eating a lot at this point, it may be a good idea to consider the nutrition profile of what you do choose. This is a simple article just highlighting some nutrient winners.
    http://nutritionadvance.com/most-nutrient-dense-foods-in-the-world/

And this is another good resource for identifying good nutrient dense foods.
    https://optimisingnutrition.com/2015/03/22/cheat-sheets/
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I get nauseous when my sodium is low. That's usually the first symptom for me, before the dizzy, fatigue, and headache. But like others have said, a general decrease in appetite is normal for me, even with adequate sodium levels.