Unexpected benefits

Options
I knew I was going to be losing weight & body fat on a Ketogenic diet (not this much & this fast though…. or this easily), but some of the very best benefits were actually a TOTAL SURPRISE to me…..

- Clearer pores, no blackheads, and no more oily skin (-I’ve always had extremely oily skin & blackheads before).
- Tonsils have DRAMATICALLY shrunk in size (-here is a link to my before & after pics, if you want to see the impressive size difference: https://goo.gl/photos/SX2DBww4W939MiZw6 *BTW the color difference is just because I used a different camera to take the pictures).
- Sleep apnea symptoms appear to have diminished greatly (-definitely less tired during the day. Amount of deep sleep compared to total sleep has definitely increased when not using CPAP. Also I’ve had SP02 levels that were previously in the 80’s upon waking, now I’m consistently getting high 90's. I haven’t had a new sleep study done yet to officially verify anything though).
- Snoring (-I’ve always been told that I’m a super loud snorer, but in the last month I’ve been told that I’ve actually stopped snoring).
- A1C level in the normal range for the first time ever.
- ALT number is the lowest ever.
- Hair is noticeably thicker & fuller.
- Higher sex drive (-previously got to the point to where it was virtually non-existent).
- Amount of gas has reduced significantly (-always used to be extremely gassy before, now it’s very rare to pass gas at all).
- Being able to easily & comfortably tie my shoes from a seated position. (I know I wasn't extremely huge before, but this difference is actually very major to me. I remember just a few months back it felt like a decent challenge).

…..and I’ve only been doing Keto for about 2 months now. I've already smashed past my original weight loss & waist line goal numbers. I track my numbers every week in a spreadsheet, here's a screenshot of it: https://goo.gl/photos/yqepbpvmn2buBfbK7 *officially started Keto a week or two into the new year. I was just doing low carb Atkins style before & bounced around from 210 to 190 at the absolute lowest -usually settling around 205. (-I previously posted this chart the other day, but since this is kind of like a 2 month update, I might as well post it here too for a "complete update").

Finally, here's a before & after pic (WARNING, in boxers only: https://goo.gl/photos/MeHqNZ2w514bmTrc6 ).

So I'm happy all around with this Ketogenic diet. And I must say, this LCHF forum & everyone here has definitely helped me out a lot -from new food ideas, to gaining a deeper understanding of what's actually happening in the body during ketosis, to cholesterol numbers, and so much more. I greatly appreciate all the members of this group for making it what it is. This is most definitely going to be a permanent way of life for me.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Kudos! Great all around improvement. I see greater definition in your legs. Is that due to just weight loss or have you implemented and exercise/lifting program? Or, I guess it could also be just the way you are standing but it is a pretty obvious difference!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    HOLY *KITTEN* that tonsil pic is AMAZING! kinda weird to stare at someone else's tonsils but HOLY *KITTEN*

The shoe thing is true for me too! I've had extra weight on me for sure but I hated how I'd have to sort of hold my breath to tie my shoe and yes, I COULD tie my shoes but shoot. it shouldn't be hard to tie your own shoe. I do it without thinking now.

Congratulations on all your changes!
  • WG_Keto
    WG_Keto Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Nice. B)
    For me the cleaner pores/blackheads thing seems just the opposite. I have more pimples etc, than I had as a teenager going through puberty. I assume it's from all the testosterone/hormones released.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    Congrats! The tonsil thing was the most surprising for me, but that could be why the snoring has gone as well!
  • Momma_Raucks
    Momma_Raucks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    INSPIRING!!! Well done sir. :)
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Inspiring! Congratulations on your hard work.
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great job :smiley:
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and keep up the good work!
  • tinachris14
    tinachris14 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Those are awesome side effects! Well done on all of your achievements so far.
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    LOL tying shoes. Never realized before how I had to twist my leg to make room for my belly when bending over to tie them. The small things that make you smile when life is easier.
  • wimberleybonnette737
    wimberleybonnette737 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love this especially the tonsils because at first I thought I was crazy. I suffer from allergies pretty much year round and not only have I come off of taking Zyrtec, but my tonsils are not inflamed either.

My skin cleared up, I have more steady-state energy. Adrenal fatigue no more. Never 'hangry', my moods are better and more consistent, no able to drop bf% and build muscle easier too.