Puree stage

Options
pneschich
pneschich Posts: 325 Member
I started Puree stage yesterday. I had a scrambled egg for breakfast. It sat like a stone for an hour. A shake for lunch then 2 oz boiled chicken, 1/2 a boiled carrot and enough stock to make a thick slurry. I ate it all about 1/3 to 1/2 of a cup. Then I hurt. Right in the center of my chest. I hurt like that for a good 45 minutes. I guess the dinner was too much but the eggs, was that just because it was my first solid food in almost a month? Will it get easier?

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Could be because it was your first solids, or you may have eaten too much or too fast. It does get better - I promise you that. Every now and then I did experience dumping for a couple of months so hopefully you won't have to go through that. Now if I eat too many carbs or too much sugar or even eat too fast or too much I get that feeling or get really tired, hiccup etc. everyone's body reacts differently so try to go slower and you will eventually figure out what your body is trying to tell you.

This is the part that sucks but I promise you that you will be extremely happy once you get past this part! Good luck - oh and try chewable papaya enzyme which you can
    Get at Wal-Mart, Target etc. it helped me a bunch when I was going through that
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I still have issues woth eggs for some reason and I'm 5 months out. I agree with @jvavanna2 try to eat slower and make sure your food is really pured. It does get better.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Which procedure did you have? I had RNY and it was months before I could finish one scrambled egg at a sitting. I had trouble with chicken breast in any quantity for at least 6 months.

Eat less and eat slower. I would also suggest that you measure the volume of your food. Depending on the density of what you're consuming, I think that 1/2 a cup could simply be too much. Even 18 months out, and my restriction is much less, I periodically measure out the volume of my food to ensure that I only eat what I should rather than what I can.

Keep in mind that your tolerances will change over time...and not necessarily in ways that make sense!
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Was the chicken pureed? Puree stage, think baby food consistency. My eggs I would scramble with a lot of salsa to make them liquidy. It would take me two sittings to eat it all. Look up World According to Egg Face, you can google "Shelly's Baked Ricotta" I ate that (still do) with extra marinara and pureed meatballs (you could sub a meat sauce).
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Eggs were hard on me and still cause me a bit of discomfort. I don't avoid them, I just eat them sparingly. I've become accustomed to certain foods causing me a bit of discomfort and just deal with it. It's not so bad that it hurts, it's more like a bit of indigestion. It definitely slacked up over time. I ate a hard boiled egg a couple of days ago with minimal discomfort.

Different people will find certain foods affect them differently post-op. Eggs are one of the first "solids" that were on my list and it caused me more discomfort than eating a piece of chicken breast. Tuna caused me discomfort as well for the first month, but is fine now.

String cheese went down the easiest for me with no discomfort. It was my go-to for my protein. Hope this helps and as already said, it will get easier and easier as you go. ;)
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    With pureed foods I am allowed to eat crunchy chips. I eat 2 or 3 and really chew them. For me they are easier than pudding or anything else that is heavy.
  • pneschich
    Options
    @Ultima_Morpha I had the sleeve. I was virtually problem free until food. Now I can't say that. I have what can best be described as intestinal cramps, but not really cramps, just doesn't feel right. I take my dulcolax daily, helps and doesn't. I'm only eating slurries at dinner, shakes are more convenient at breakfast and lunch while working and it's easier today no thanks to a lunch out with a lunchbox in your hands. I need to get to the store and get more me friendly food. I thought the chicken soup was a great idea, broth, veggies cooked to death and boiled chicken, but now I don't even want to look at chicken. I will learn how this works for me but I think it's going to be painful
  • StevenGarrigus
    Options
    I would say a lot of it is due to it being the first solid foods you are eating. You've only been taking in liquids and introducing food to your "new" stomach is akin to a baby first starting to eat solid foods.

I had several people tell me to try Doritos. Sounds crazy and it did to me as well, but Doritos chewed really well didn't cause me any discomfort when I ate a couple. String cheese as I already said was very easy on my stomach.

Good luck and keep us up to date on how things progress for you. It will get better!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I was told on the pureed stage my food needed to be the consistency that would pass through a straw but of course not to use a straw. My instructions also said not to introduce more than one new food per day. Think about how you feed a baby one new food at a time because if there is a problem you know what food caused it. Pureed stage was yogurt, applesauce, mashed banana, cottage cheese (blended), sugar free pudding, pureed squash, mashed potatoes, etc. I did have an egg but I blended the egg then made egg salad. I did have cream of chicken soup but strained out the tiny specks of chicken in the soup. Some above stated it gets better and it does. Time pass slowly but your stomach is still healing in the pureed stage. Good luck.
  • pneschich
    Options
    @StevenGarrigus string cheese OMG. I can eat that! Everything is getting easier. Ate 1/3 cup of chicken and avacado yesterday. Today chicken and a bit of boules carrot. Both with homemade broth. Is 2 oz of chicken a good amount to eat at a meal?
  • StevenGarrigus
    Options
    2oz of chicken is pretty small amount, so you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Every surgeon is different. I personally didn't eat any soup early on, even when it said I could. I stuck to string cheese, applesauce, low sugar Greek yogurt, etc.
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    My doctor moved through stages very methodically and slowly.

1st week post op was clear liquids.
    2nd-3rd week post op was all liquids. (any bit of solid, no matter how mushy, had to be strained.
    4th-5th week post op was pureed foods. At this point anything I ate had to be completely pureed. Soups kept the bits, but had to be blended. Canned and soft meats had to be blended. Lots of sauces. Eggs got completely mashed and cooked with salsa or other sauces.
    6th-7th week post op was soft foods. At this point I was able to try small bits of overcooked veggies and meats without blending. I was able to add in meatballs without blending.

The reason I'm being so clear is because you keep mentioning chicken. It sounds like you're boiling chicken and eating it. That's not pureed. If that's your doctor's plan, fine. If it's not sitting well, it may be too soon for your stomach.

As others have mentioned, certain foods seem to hit people harder. Eggs seem to offend everyone at first. Whole, unprocessed meats also seem to be more difficult.

• StevenGarrigus
    Options
    Didn't really take notice until @NicoleL874 pointed it out, but are you boiling the chicken? If so, that could definitely be part of your problem there. Even though it's soft boiled, it's not baby food consistency.

Me personally, I avoided foods that had to be blended until I could eat them without blending because it looked like vomit to me all blended up. :s
  • pneschich
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My nutritionist recommended boiling it and then puree- ing it. I weigh it so I have some idea of what I'm eating. Throw it in my magic bullet with broth and either avocado or the carrots I used when boiling the chicken and give it a whirl. Looks like baby food, tastes so so. I have a lot, made my usual batch of chicken soup but I'm not as motivated to cook for the family at this time.
  • NicoleL874
    Options
    I found that the first week of purees I had to have things a lot more liquidy, then slowly ease up and make it more paste like.

Also, for me, cheese and vegetables were way easier on me for the first several days.

Thanks for the clarification! You'd be shocked at what some people.
  • StevenGarrigus
    Options
    @pneschich got it. Wasn't sure if you were just boiling or pureeing as well.

In any event, glad to read above that everything is going better. You will find as everyone here has that following the recommended timeframes for when to introduce new foods isn't an exact science and what works for one person definitely won't for another as @NicoleL874 pointed out. As I already mentioned, on the week I was able to add eggs I jumped right on it and immediately had the familiar "pressure" and heat in my chest right below my breastbone. I still get that occasionally when I'm not paying attention and eat something a bit too fast or don't chew hamburger as well as I should.

On a side note and what I consider fantastic news for me, this past weekend my wife and I took the kids to Applebee's. I ate some steak and had absolutely zero issues with it! YAY! Steak has been my favorite food since I was a tyke. I knew I may never be able to eat it again after my WLS, but was fine with that because what I was gaining was so much more important. But I have to say it's pretty nice to know I can eat a piece of bloody steak now. :p

A lady I work with snarls and grumbles at me every day when she sees me eating something with hamburger in it. She still can't nearly 2 years out from her surgery. However, said lady snacks on junk food all day every time I see her and eats sweet crap that the surgeon recommends you avoid. They have "food days" here at work fairly often and she is always trying to get me to eat something and cheat. I always tell her no thank you. I guess it probably has something to do with why she stopped losing weight at a year or so in and hasn't lost as much as she should have while I am still trucking along. ;)
  • StevenGarrigus
    Options
    I still have issues woth eggs for some reason and I'm 5 months out. I agree with @jvavanna2 try to eat slower and make sure your food is really pured. It does get better.

My belly still grumbles any time I eat eggs. Doesn't matter poached, scrambled, boiled, whatever. I just deal with it and move on.
  • pneschich
    Options
    I'm going for another egg Saturday. Going to have to get some salsa. Probably look for a mild one. In Texas mild can be a bit warm.
    Are there any stores that sell the protein powder you can add to food? If I'm eating meals I'm not getting protein. So much stuff to learn!
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try collagen protein..I use great lakes brand. It's relatively tasteless if your other food is seasoned well and it blends into anything even water. However you CAN taste it in water and. ..yucky....don't recommend that.
    I put it in Chili, Pudding.. Just about everything and it works really well and I can't taste it
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    pneschich wrote: »
    I'm going for another egg Saturday. Going to have to get some salsa. Probably look for a mild one. In Texas mild can be a bit warm.
    Are there any stores that sell the protein powder you can add to food? If I'm eating meals I'm not getting protein. So much stuff to learn!

@pneschich This is the flavorless/sugarfree/unsweetened protein I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OWAB4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
    $19.99 on Amazon, and I think it worked pretty well. I found it as a recommendation on another bariatric site. I mostly added it to soups, but also added it to pudding and yogurt, and did make fruit/veggie smoothies with it when I got a little further along.