Keto snacks - need ideas before i lose my mind!

Options
Scochrane86
Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
I am finding it harder and harder to be satisfied during the day.
My go-to snacks are pepperoni sticks, cheese sticks or garlic sausage, but as you can imagine, I am getting bored and need some VERY FAST ideas that I can keep in my fridge or pantry and grab quickly for those times when I just need a little something.
What is your favorite keto snacks?

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Most often coffee with cream. I don't really snack other than a "dessert" snack before bed. Either some Halo Top ice cream or 90% dark chocolate and peanut butter. I think perhaps my meal timing makes snacking obsolete. I have coffee with heavy cream for breakfast then I'm good until lunch around 2 or 3. Then dinner around 6 or 7 then bedtime snack about 9-10. If for some reason I eat food for breakfast then I am more inclined to be hungry early.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have coffee with HWC in the morning, lunch is usually 2 eggs with bacon or sausage and dinner is a good helping of meat, and a green veg, sometimes adding cheeses.
    Usually a good coffee in the evening would curb the hunger, but even that isn't helping lately. and I think I need to add something mid afternoon
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    After being in ketosis about 1 to 2 months, my need for food dropped substantially, and I have trouble getting in all my food for a day (I eat 1300 cals, 80/15/5 or 75/20/5). Before then, I packaged up small servings of various nuts (pecans, macadamia, Brazil nuts and peanuts). For something sweet, I had s.f. jello that I had whipped cream right into. After the jello had soft set, I added 2 TBL cream I had whipped. Then back in the frig to fully set. I ate 1/4 of the container as a serving. This all required preplanning and I log my food in MFP the night before or the morning of so I knew I had what I needed. There are also keto bombs, and I bought cocoa butter and make my own chocolate. These help make sure I get all my fat in for the day.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Try adding collagen powder or protein powder to that coffee to give it some more substance. Otherwise, I do things like jello fat bombs or cream cheese clouds or cheese crisps, but those will add more calories, too...

That being said, have you dropped weight, added exercise, changed your sleep or other schedules, or anything like that? An increase in hunger is likely related to a bump in metabolism or change elsewhere... Might be time for a few days of increased calories to maintenance or something to blunt that edge.
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That bulletproof / keto coffee is actually extremely satisfying to me. I think the extra fat from the butter & MCT oil (& the the occasional heavy cream) is what does the satisfying. I can go hours after drinking that stuff before I feel the need to consume anything again.
  • suzc11
    suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Snacks? Quick ones: A nut and cheese combo ( only need a few to feel full)- faves are walnut on a small cube of cheddar, pecans dipped in cream cheese. Celery or cucumber spread with almond butter or cream cheese. 1/4 of an egg with mayo. A tablespoon or two of a toasted seed mix: sunflower and pumpkin, for something sweet it has to be 90% choc. , 5 raspberries or about 10 blueberries. If you don't mind some prep, try the fathead pizza dough, cut and baked in small squares until quite dry - fabulous crackers! Just have a few at a time.
  • ceceblackstock327
    ceceblackstock327 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love salami with brie cheese rolled up, as well as "mousse" made with mascarpone cheese, heavy cream, unsweetened cocoa, and stevia, (you can make a big batch and just have a few bites from the container as needed) Macadamia nuts, Brazil nuts, almonds, with cream cheese are awesome. Pan toasted pecans with butter, cinnamon and stevia rock! Bacon is an excellent snack
  • mranlett
    mranlett Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Paleo Scotch eggs

6 eggs and 1 lb of your favorite ground meat

1) - hard boil the eggs
    2) - make 6 parties out of your ground meat and put a peeled egg on the patty and form the patties around the egg
    3) - bake at 350 for 30 min.

Check out the recipe and photos on www.ditchthecarbs.com
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds. Hard-boiled eggs (I prefer mine salted). Quest protein chips (or some other brand equivalent). Baked cheese crisps (Kitchen Table Bakers, Just the Cheese, Moon Cheese, etc.). Homemade low carb granola, etc.
  • bshrom11
    bshrom11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't snack a lot but when I do its pork rinds if a want a chip like snack, if I feel like a cracker type of snack I will have a few whisps cheese crisps, or a handful of nuts.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My three goto snacks are jerky, pork rinds, & hard boiled eggs dipped in buffalo sauce (we make a half gallon at a time and eat it on a lot of stuff (even prior to keto- burgers, fries with cheese and sour cream & bacon bits, wings, etc)-- half gallon of franks, 4 sticks of butter, tbsp of garlic and onion powder, 2 tsp of stone ground brown mustard, 2 tsp of worchestershire sauce, 2 tsp of white vinegar, low heat on stove till all butter is melted, whisk in pour back into jug, shake every 15-20m until cool on counter, then move to fridge.)
  • shadus
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Homemade low carb granola, etc.

Any suggestions on a decent recipe for this?

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Google LCHF granola recipes .....there are literally thousands of them out there online free. Also check out the sticky note / launch pad area of this group. There are several dozen links to LCHF friendly recipe websites many of which contain recipes for granola. I'm not much of a fan of granola myself so I personally have no recommendations as far as specific LCHF recipe goes.
  • shadus
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Google LCHF granola recipes .....there are literally thousands of them out there online free. Also check out the sticky note / launch pad area of this group. There are several dozen links to LCHF friendly recipe websites many of which contain recipes for granola. I'm not much of a fan of granola myself so I personally have no recommendations as far as specific LCHF recipe goes.

Yeap, well aware of many, but having never made one, it's nice to have a starting point that someone finds appealing and isn't a person just trying to get clicks on a website.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I am finding it harder and harder to be satisfied during the day.

It should be getting easier and easier not harder and harder.

How steep a deficit are you running?
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs & avocado are my faves.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Great Value Peanuts (Cocktail) are 1 net carb gram per ounce. They are my goto because I am cheap and they are satisfying. The last time I mentioned these, someone observed that they are a legume and not a nut. There may be something I don't understand about legumes, but this snack seems to be a good one to me.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I eat peanuts too. I don't have that Paleo fear of toxins in legumes. We get ours in the shell at Sam's. 5 pounds is only $5.65 or some crazy low price. The fat/protein/carb ratio works well for my purposes. Buying them in the shell makes them less convenient so I don't eat so many.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I eat peanuts too. I don't have that Paleo fear of toxins in legumes.

Ah - now I understand. I knew there had to be a reason, and I am not so informed about the different diets out there.