Pickles?

Options
MissMorts
MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
Hi everyone! Dumb question if that's ok? You guys talk about pickles and the juice like they're mana from heaven....maybe I'm missing something or the pickles here in New Zealand are so high in sugar...? I can't make them fit in my day...? What am I missing?

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You need to find different pickles. No sugar in the ones I eat.
  • suzc11
    suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Umm. I think it's a different versions of English problem. Pickles in the US refer to pickled cucumbers, sometimes sliced, sometimes not- usually in a salt water-vinegar- spice solution. Pickles in the UK and Australia (maybe also NZ) refer to a mixed vegetable, chopped, cooked product in a sauce of generous sugar, vinegar, spices, more like chutney. Both are delicious! I think I've eaten my way through too many countries.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Dill pickles are sour and very salty.
    You're describing what I'd call sweet pickles.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There are two types of pickles- sweet pickles and dill pickles. Sweet pickles (also known as 'bread and butter pickles' are not very keto friendly, dill pickles typically are. Personally, I could drink the brine off them all day... love that dill/vinegar/salt flavor.. it's really good for re-hydration too.

Bread and Butter/Sweet Pickles:
    qewcwnx715sy.jpg

Dill:
    ifpt029l7wj4.jpg

If you like sour flavors, dill pickles are hard to beat.

As retirehappy mentioned, fridge pickles are a subset of dill pickles with a different flavor but extremely easy to make at home... check out this recipe:

https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/07/easiest-fridge-dill-pickles/

I can also vouch for this one:

http://www.thekitchn.com/small-batch-recipe-cucumber-pickles-urban-preserving-with-marisa-mcclellan-173303

Made it last summer and it came out pretty good, but I really just prefer em without garlic (even though I *love* garlic.) Lot of people toss a few pieces of yellow onion in the mix or garlic cloves or cauliflower as well... they all taste pretty good pickled.
  • MissMorts
    MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    OMG you guys are life savers! I love Dill Pickles and if I can make them myself and keto friendly I will be in heaven! Thank you!
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was going to start drinking pickle juice the other day too. But then I looked at the ingredient list on my pickles in the fridge & I was surprised to see that it contains sodium benzoate. Apparently they use it as a preservative, but it's also been linked to a lot of bad news (including cancer). So I dumped that stuff & found a brand that doesn't doesn't use it at all. I want to try making my own too, but in the mean time I'll stick to the store bought stuff that doesn't use sodium benzoate. This way I can enjoy the pickles & then have no worries about drinking the juice.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    If you make your own pickles using the heat technique versus refrigerator pickles, look for a product with the canning supplies called "Pickle Crisp." Otherwise, your pickles may turn out very not-crisp, which takes away half the appeal of pickled anything.

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Pickle-Crisp-Granules-Pack/dp/B003IOEWL8

I include this link for informational purposes only. This is a ridiculous price.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The only big pickles I've seen in the U.K. are in the Polish imports section, I buy pickled gherkins or cornichons (tiny cukes) they have very minimal sugar). I like them better anyway, they're super crispy versus soggy American style pickles.
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    You can make your own pickles very easily! Here is a recipe:

REFRIGERATOR DILL PICKLES

Ingredients:

3-1/2 cups water
    1-1/4 cup white vinegar
    1 tablespoon canning salt (NOT table salt)
    1 tablespoon sugar
    Cucumbers, unpeeled, sliced into disks (about 4 cups)
    2 cloves garlic (whole)
    2 heads fresh dill

Instructions:

Boil the water, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Cool. Add cucumbers, garlic, and dill in a glass mason jar (not metal!). Cover with the cooled liquid. Put in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. The pickles should be good for 6 weeks. Enjoy!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Marillian wrote: »
    You can make your own pickles very easily!

Boil the water, vinegar, sugar tequila, and salt in a saucepan. Cool. Add cucumbers, garlic, and dill in a glass mason jar (not metal!). Cover with the cooled liquid. Put in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. The pickles should be good for 6 weeks. Enjoy!

OK?