Soup

Options
Low sodium soup is usually terrible unless its healthy choice. I have attempted homemade low sodium soup and that has not gone well. Anyone have a good soup recipe that doesn't call for or need a lot of salt to be tasty? I'll take brand suggestions too for low sodium canned soup that doesn't taste like crap.

Replies

• meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I usually just throw whatever vegetables and grains (wild rice or barley) I have into a pot and add some herbs and spices. I like hotter spices, so adding crushed chili peppers and that sort of thing makes up for the lack of salty flavour. Also, garlic powder can be a good substitute for salt in recipes where you don't want it to be bland. It's definitely a different taste than having salt, but it definitely gives the soup an actual taste instead of just tasting like water. I also replace salt with garlic powder in bread recipes. Make sure it's actual garlic powder though, not garlic salt.....or that just defeated the purpose. lol.
  • jimihndrks
    jimihndrks Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you guys are still around I have healthy soup (creamy chicken enchilada for instance) that are very tasty. I also have other recipes (Asian beef and snow peas) that are low cal. Let me know if interested.