Anyone sticking to strict keto?

Options
hmikkola92
hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
I'm at 8 days on keto. I don't have absolutely any sugar or breads etc, obviously. But I don't allow myself nuts or any fruit either. I don't like them anyways, so I figure why bother. Oh and I allow myself one coffee with heavy cream and sweetener a day. I don't even drink my favourite thing anymore, diet coke. Anyone have any experience with sticking to this limited version of keto?

Replies

• hmikkola92
    Options
    My macros are 5/70/25 sorry if I'm not saying it right. And my calories are set to 1300 but I struggle to get past 1000
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing good. Some folks can stay in ketosis using artificial sweeteners. I think eating when you're hungry and not eating when you are full is a better way than sticking with a number.
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    Do you think its possible to stick to this long term or will I eventually cave and have to have low carb sweets and stuff?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have been mostly Keto for 2.5 years by keeping carbs <50 grams daily and protein in the 75-90 range most days. About the only thing I really totally limit is any added sugar or any form of any grain.

My major goal is to keep lowering my C-Reactive Protein level with ZERO being my long term goal. Pain management, weight and a host of health issues are being addressed without thought or effort by my major goal.

@hmikkola92 best of success and welcome to MFP forums. Eating this way is nothing more than a decision backed up by intent like the other things in life that are important to a person.

We had a huge noon meal at church today. I ate well at 9 AM and did not dive for the food line like in the old days. I got me a bottle of water and visited with 3-4 visiting families as most were finishing a huge meal with major deserts. Afterwards I went to pick up the wife from work and had a side salad and coffee from McDonald's with a major handful of cashews about 3 PM which will be my last meal today. Breakfast often is 1200-1500 calories however. I still have some 3000+ calorie days on LCHF but try to keep them in the 2000-2500 days. Daily I work to increase my mitochondrial count to burn more of my higher LCHF calories.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    hmikkola92 wrote: »
    Do you think its possible to stick to this long term or will I eventually cave and have to have low carb sweets and stuff?

No, you won't be required to eat any stuff that's bad for you.

Basically, it's all in your head. Here's my approach, which is pretty common. YMMV....

I look at any sweet, starch, or junk food as poison that will eat a hole through your skull and give you perpetual diarrhea, hot flashes, and garlic breath with metallic overtones. Oh, and make you belch acid and sparks whenever you try to talk.

Is that helpful?

WOW so complex. I just view myself in my coffin when looking at such foods.

I guess corpses can resist the worries that plague us mortals.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I think it is wise to avoid LCHF sweets for a while, especially if you are not good at moderating sweets. I avoided that stuff for at least 6 months while losing. Once I started with them I found I ate more, and I stopped losing, For me, sweets are a slippery slope.

That being said, if you have no problem with it, you can eat LCHF sweets. I made treats with stevia, including fat bombs. I will eat some xylitol chocolate chips with nuts. I drink diet pepsi, but I am cutting it back again to zero once I'm out. It drives my appetite up.

I'm almost 2 years into keto, with a few periods of just LCHF (over 30g of carbs for me). It is sustainable if you want it to be.... Mainly determined by how much of a benefit you get out of it.

If LCHF does not appeal, and it offers you no physical or mental benefits, nor extra weight lost, then those people won't stick with it. For me, I would lose a LOT if I went back to my older way of eating. Not worth it.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I started eating LCHF treats fairly early (sugar-free Jello, sometimes "fat bombs," sugar-free syrup in my coffee, etc.) and for me it actually made it easier to stick to. But as you can see from PP's, YMMV, so experiment and see what works best for you!
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Here is a good guide for new lchf people: https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight

I gave up beer which is a form of grain and high in carbs. I'm basically Homer Simpson and Peter Griffen in one body. If I can do that, most people can give up sweets. haha
  • RalfLott
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks guys. I have 100lbs to lose to be content. And then I could lose 40 more to be slim. I mostly just want it to be as quick as possible. I know it will slow down eventually, but i don't want to hinder my progress for a few bites of dark chocolate or fruit. I just sometimes drool a little when I think of sweets, my weakness

Time and consistency are godlike allies.

As @GaleHawkins has said in a hundred memorable ways, they can help you improve your health in ways you never imagined, and the weight loss will be a bonus. But it's not productive to rush the process - succumbing to impatience and frustration and giving up is the last thing you want, and in 2-3 years' time, it won't matter how long it took.

Be patient yet persistent with yourself, and you'll be healthy and happiy in the long run!
  • blissfulbabe
    blissfulbabe Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Basically, it's all in your head. Here's my approach, which is pretty common. YMMV....

I look at any sweet, starch, or junk food as poison that will eat a hole through your skull and give you perpetual diarrhea, hot flashes, and garlic breath with metallic overtones. Oh, and make you belch acid and sparks whenever you try to talk.

Is that helpful?

Ralf, I particularly enjoy the way you never use hyperbole to make a point.

I always keep an eye out for your posts as I love your very dry sense of humour and the way you wrap it around very useful information and advice.

• RalfLott
    edited March 2017
    Options

Is that helpful?

Ralf, I particularly enjoy the way you never use hyperbole to make a point.

I always keep an eye out for your posts as I love your very dry sense of humour and the way you wrap it around very useful information and advice.

You're too kind by a mile. <3 Frankly, when it comes to writing, economy is everything, and I'd rather eat an ounce of salt - no, an entire pound, with no fluids, than waste a word. I try to live by Mark Twain's command, "eschew surplusage." (But not very hard. :s )
  • StarshipFighter23
    StarshipFighter23 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    And can I also mention how important MFP has been in my efforts this time? As you will no doubt know already, people in general are EXTREMELY sceptical about LCHF/keto eating and the chances are that you will encounter people who will try and talk down your WOE or tell you that it is in some way 'wrong' or 'dangerous'. Don't listen to them - listen to the supportive and encouraging voices here. It does make a difference to know that there are plenty of people who are using the same methods as you with great success and the pats on the back and encouraging words are really helpful in keeping the motivation. As Gale said - any change in lifestyle is a decision backed up with intent - and if you intend to do this successfully, why not have some cheerleaders too? :)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    It's great if the fat (and water) just vanishes, but all you need to do is look around your supermarket to see that not everyone's the same.

Some people will feel better steadily losing 1/2 lb per week than 2+..
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I'm going on 2 years of less than 20g and a year of zero carb, which is actually truly about 5g because I do eat dairy and a rare dark chocolate square. But I also allow myself one day on the weekend to have some dry wine or other alcohol too. So, I'm honestly stretching the zero carb rules. A lot. But, as much as it sounds like an excuse, this is how it's sustainable for me.
    I went into keto with a hard core sugar addiction. I started by using keto sweets and sugar free coffee syrups and realized that I was still feeding the sugar addiction by having those on a daily basis. Not so much the sweets, but I used that sweet coffee to satisfy it a lot. Then I used any special occasion, even stupid little ones, as an excuse to make a keto dessert. I found I would basically obsess over wanting to eat the dessert until it was gone! So I realized I had to stop all of it. That's the only way I can keep the cravings under control. Some people can use those things and have a small amount and not basically binge eat them, but I can't. I actually kill the sweet tooth the best by not feeding it. This just depends on you. Which one fits you best.
    I will make a keto dessert for special occasions still, but now it's like birthday or Christmas. Much more rare.
    You have to find your own threshold for what's sustainable long term. Just be honest with yourself about your limitations and any excuses you might be making to yourself. Once you're at a point where you feel in control, it's easier to feel less restricted. There was a great motivational video shared on another post. It basically discusses not forbidding yourself certain things but choosing to just not have them. It makes more sense in the video. It's exactly how I had re-wired my thinking without really knowing that's what I did. It doesn't sound like you need to change your thinking at all, I just think the video is helpful anyway because looking forward, making your plan to just make the choices you want to make instead of viewing things as being off limits can really make difference.
    @kpk54 it's the video you shared that I'm thinking of. I don't remember where you linked it.
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    Thanks for all the support everyone. I don't own a scale but I use my mom's when I visit. If I owned one I feel like I would obsess over weight and if I gained at all I would give up. Also, I see people criticizing this diet for being unhealthy... How is it unhealthy to not eat sugar and bread? I don't understand their thinking. I have hashimoto's disease and I feel much more energized already than I have in 14 years, since I was diagnosed at 11 years old. I think this is the diet for me regardless of weight loss.
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    I have a big weakness with sweets. I used to have a large coffee from Tim Hortons with 2 cream and 2 sugar... Sometimes up to 3 times a day. I use sweetener now, and I'm weaning myself off coffee slowly. I can't stand it without sweetener so I will just stop. And I love kitkats! They're so small so you don't think anything of it but they're so bad! When I'm maintaining my weight I'm sure I can "cheat" here and there. But I plan to eat like this for the rest of my life.