how much can you eat??

Options
I see a lot of people years out and can still only eat a cup at a time I'm 18 months out and can eat a good amount say 8oz meat and a few cups of veggies at one sitting whats up??

Replies

• Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am 3 years out. I don't eat meat anymore, but when I did I could easily get 6 oz and some veg without issue. IDK if I could do 8 oz and more than 1 c of veg, though-- still, it is not an outrageous amount of food if you compare it to how much you used to be able to eat pre-op, right?
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Right
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am 3 1/2 years out. The amounts I can eat are similar to Thaeda. Usually when I eat dense protein like meat I can eat about 4-6 ounces and not much else, maybe a little bit of veggies. Other food, softer or less dense protein like scrambled eggs or chili, about a cup is usually enough to fill me up, sometimes I might have a little more, but I really don't have the capacity for a whole lot.
  • rchallway
    rchallway Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am more limited with healthy food than with slider foods. I can eat about 4 oz meat and 1/2 cup veggies, OR a ton of cookies and junk food. I'm 2 1/2 years out.
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 yrs out, I can eat about 2-3 ounces of meat at a sitting, but then I am too full to eat anything else... Although, 2 hours later, I'm hungry again. I get about 800-950 calories a day in.
  • arjeffries136
    arjeffries136 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    14 months out and I can eat about 4-5 ounces of meat, no vegetables. If I eat meat and vegetables, I can eat 2 to 3 ounces of meat and a cup of vegetables at once. Junk food 1/2 a bag of family size Cheetos if I allow myself.( Honestly, probably all I could stuff in my face.) Average calories 1300 to 1700. On a couple of festivity/holiday days I've eaten 2400 to 3200 calories. (That was a lot of junk/cake/cookies over a 6 to 8 hour period.
  • gastrognome89
    gastrognome89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 2.5 years out and similar to the others, I can eat 120gm/4.5oz of meat. Junk food and 'wet' food is easier to eat more of. I usually eat 1000-1200 cals a day but can reduce to 700 and not get hungry. I get frustrated with myself at eating so much, and then remember how much more I used to eat and feel much better. At maximum I can only eat half what I used to. Starting to struggle a bit with food cravings again, like will be desperate for chips or chocolate. I've been thinking of getting hypnotherapy to nip this in the bud, has anyone had success with it?
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @gastrognome89 I slowly cut out refined sugars and most processed carbs a few months ago. I believe sugar is addictive, hence cravings. If you try and cut them out those cravings will disappear after a few weeks.
  • gastrognome89
    gastrognome89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @Aztec4Life I completely agree with you, sugar is poison. When I let myself have a small amount of sugar that's when the cravings come back. Need to stay totally clean and not let those things sneak in and snowball.
  • klh193
    klh193 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @Aztec4Life @gastronome89 studies show sugar is more addictive than cocaine.... crazy to believe. I think that is why I have regained 20lbs after being 2.5 yrs out. (3yrs now) still carrying those extra 20. I have reincorporated some sugar and carbs. Now I am having such a HARD time kicking that, the cravings are horrible.
  • capecodgirl50
    capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I tend to graze. I'm about 3 years out and have gained 20 lbs. due to broken ankle. Need to lose this.
  • klh193
    klh193 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what my problem is... I graze and then my grazing is not the best choices.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I find the denser the meat, the less of it I can eat in a sitting. I can maybe eat 4-6 oz of a hamburger at best. However, I can do 2.5 oz tuna/salmon mixed with 4 oz of cottage cheese pretty easy and still have room for a few veggies.
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am about 15 months post op still not at goal and since March have been struggling. If I stay with dense protein I can usually eat about 4 ounces. However, I have found I can eat large amounts of carb sweet foods like cookies, cakes, protein bars and have even begun to drink wine. I know none of this is good for me but am contributing it to a major stressor in my life right now. Am seeing my mental health counselor today. Hopefully she can get me back on track so I can get off this last 40 pounds.