Collagen- recommendations?

Options
missippibelle
missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
I've been looking on Amazon at collagen. It sounds like dieting I should add to my morning coffee, but there are soooo many! I would love to hear what brand you use, how much you use and why? What are your benefits you see? Thanks!

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the benefits too. I mean I've read some, but I'd like to hear from people who actually use it, and have used it for awhile.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    This here, quote from Leanne Vogel at Healthful Pursuit, is the main reason I include it. I try to do it in the AM in a fatty coffee or added to a keto breakfast cookie bar I'm test driving.

"The collagen: resets leptin, so that your body understands what fuel is what."

I got Doctor's Best brand, Types 1 & 3, from Amazon. I think @Sunny_Bunny_ uses the Bulk Supplements brand...

It's supposed to help with skin/hair building blocks and such, too.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I use the Great Lakes brand. It's grass fed and the taste is unnoticeable in my coffee. Plus it's a little cheaper than Vital Proteins.
  • jenmckane86
    jenmckane86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use Further Collagen. It literally has no taste and mixes really well. Like most others, I add it to my coffee in the AM.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I always bought the cheapest I found which was Bulk Supplements. It's labeled collagen hydrolysate.
    I try to make grass fed bone broth at least once a month these days. But I'm not having it daily. More like once a week really. My daughter demolishes it and leaves none for me!
    But I love that she loves it because I know how good it is for her so she has permission to drink all she wants. :)
    I have a lot going right now because we are out and she's got the flu or something. Bought her some organic chicken stock to hold her til the beef broth is done. I add collagen to the store bought stocks too.
  • kolsonsmamaw1
    kolsonsmamaw1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use a brand from Dr Axe. 2 scoops in my morning coffee. No flavor at all. It has helped with my arthritis pain tremendously.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    I use the Great Lakes brand. It's grass fed and the taste is unnoticeable in my coffee. Plus it's a little cheaper than Vital Proteins.

I too use the Great Lakes brand. Cheapest place I've found a canister is on Thrive Market ($17.25) online (I have a membership), otherwise your best bet may be to get the 6-pack from their website ($95.10 / 6 = $15.85 per canister) which will be expensive up-front, but if it's something you use a lot of or something you use every day, then it will actually save you $$ in the long run.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    You can also opt for their 8 lb. bag too which is an excellent deal ($119.00 / 8 = $14.87 per pound).
  • newlife7654
    newlife7654 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I bought Zint brand and am having a hard time taking it because it does not dissolve well and seems to have a bad taste. I have tried mixing in hot and cold drinks- its not good. :( I have only tried Neocell collagen before which was better in my opinion. Any advice on how to use my bag up? Or should I just buy a different brand.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @newlife7654 - Quick search of reviews indicate that blooming is recommended for best taste/texture...

"Mix 1 tablespoon in a cup of hot water, bloom it for a minute or two, add instant coffee and half & half, honey if you want. Or pour your hot coffee over 1 tablespoon of gelatin, mix it well, let it sit for a min. You can add coconut oil to it, cream, honey, etc."
  • gaxarlis08
    gaxarlis08 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a collagen supplement from Vital Proteins. Apparently Jennifer Aniston uses that brand. It is a little pricey, $25 for 10oz
  • ladipoet
    Options
    I bought Zint brand and am having a hard time taking it because it does not dissolve well and seems to have a bad taste. I have tried mixing in hot and cold drinks- its not good. :( I have only tried Neocell collagen before which was better in my opinion. Any advice on how to use my bag up? Or should I just buy a different brand.

This is why I like the Great Lakes Brand. It dissolves very well and has no funny, off or bad taste to it. I've gotten into the habit of adding a serving to my dissolved bouillon cube broth twice a day and I've noticed that it gives the broth a richer flavor. I'm really liking that. Also finding that it helps keep me feeling full longer.
  • robeylori
    robeylori Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use the Neocell Super Collagen 1&3 6600 mg and I have gotten it as cheap as 8 bucks for 7 oz. Daily I add 1 tsp in my homemade acv cream soda and 2 tsp in my morning protein shake . Nails and hair are so much improved and growing. joints are not as sore and stiff as before. I have been using everyday for 4 months.
  • newlife7654
    Options
    Thank you for the recommendations!
  • newlife7654
    Options
    Thank you!