Stuck

Options
sbtripp
sbtripp Posts: 44 Member
I have not lost weight in 3 weeks or more. Frustrated. Added exercise by walking and ended up with an $1100 bone scan as the knee I had replaced swelled and kept giving way. Everything ok but surgeon suggested Advil before exercise. Not thrilled with taking so much Advil. Suggestions?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do any exercise that causes you pain. Stressing out is counter productive.
    Exercise isn't going to create the weight loss anyway.
    Just keep doing the things that caused the loss so far and it will keep happening.
    If you want tips you can actually put into place, more info would be helpful.
    Carb level?
    How often do you eat?
    Are you ever eating when you're not hungry?
    Are you diabetic or insulin resistant?
    Do you have any chronic health concerns?
    How much have you lost so far and when did you start?
    How much do you have to lose?
    Do you feel good?
  • MissMorts
    MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Have you thought about adding Tumeric capsules to you daily intake? Not only an anti oxidant but a natural anti-inflammatory...?
  • TravellerRay
    TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    How long ago was your knee replacement? I have had one replaced and will get the other one done when it gets worse.

Currently both give me pain but I keep exercising. Try to do as low impact as possible. I do a lot of cycling and have a stationery bike in my living room. Rowing is also good. Or your gym may have a rope pull machine.

Keep at it and good luck

Ray
  • tinachris14
    tinachris14 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating when the scale doesn't move, have you seen any other changes such as clothes getting loose? As for your knee, I'm wondering how far post op are you? You may need to continue physical therapy for strengthening if insurance allows. If not, you could do the exercises learned from PT at home for awhile? I I personally would not want to take Advil long term.
  • sbtripp
    Options
    So I have been doing this since January and lost 17 pounds pretty quickly, then became stuck. Knee surgery was in 2014; surgeon reminded me that I still have all of the tissues, nerves, etc surrounding the knee and apparently this is where the inflammation comes from. He gave me 6 days of Prednisone and I could see my kneecap again. Generally eating 15g of carbs a day, some days less and some days go as high as 20. As far as chronic health conditions I have fibromyalgia and trigeminal neuralgia. 63 years old. Could tell when losing that clothes got looser, but not in a while.
  • TravellerRay
    TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Then we had our surgery about the same time. I had mine a bit younger because of playing cricket. If it is inflamed then you will be restricted as you know. I don't take pain killers every day, but I do when exercising.

Hope it improves for you

Ray
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Feverfew can be used instead of advil.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It's the prednisone...
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I havent had knee replacement however, I have used a tumeric regimen for about 9 months now to help with an old injury that was causing me pain and inflammation when I stsrted running again. My husband also,regularly takes tumeric to help with some carpel tunnel symptoms. It's been really valuable for our health. I second the recommendation!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Prednisone can be nasty stuff, but it's still great when you really need it.

I had a long NSAIDs habit (years) for my junky knees. It stopped abruptly when my GI guy showed me the pix of my stomach lining. :s pink, but not pretty!

I still have creaky joints, but they've improved a lot since I started LC. An unexpected benefit!
  • sbtripp
    Options
    How do you take the tumeric; how much, etc? The Prednisone could not be the cause since I was stuck before beginning.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Right now I'm using capsule form cause, life. It's just easier than the powdered form. I take about 1200 MG a day. For good absorption and use by your body it's best to take them with fat and pepper so, sprinkle some pepper on an avocado and eat that before you take the pill. Or, take the pills after your breakfast of eggs with pepper and salt.

Dr Andrew Weil has good information about Turmeric and it's short and sweet: https://www.drweil.com/vitamins-supplements-herbs/herbs/curcumin-or-turmeric/

Good history of turmeric use with some interesting data: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92752/