Frustrated! Suggestions?

Options
jwat90
jwat90 Posts: 178 Member
I'm so frustrated. I'm 45 yrs old. I'm staying under my calories and exercising 3-5 times a week and my weight won't go down! In the past several weeks (and i mean like 4-5 weeks) I've only lost like a pound. I'm doing what I'm supposed to but I'm not losing weight. It's hard to keep on track when I'm not seeing results on the scale. Any suggestions?

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    There could be a number of reasons however I am at a plateau right now. My plan is to add 1 cheat meal in a week as a refeed day, I believe my body has adapted to my decrease in calories and consistency with both that and my workouts. I am going to continue with the workout plan that was given to me because I love it and am seeing change and definition in my body. Stay strong. We can do it!
  • jwat90
    Options
    I haven't tried pulling out some of my smaller clothes in the back of my closet. I've been afraid to, but maybe they will fit a little better. I'll give the pics & measurements a try too. Thank you for taking the time to help me.
  • carmatiz
    carmatiz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Try changing workouts and your diet.
    Sometimes our bodies need to be switched up.
    Change is good.
  • jwat90
    Options
    I'll try that too. Thanks!
  • katjennings
    katjennings Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hug. That's what is difficult about weight loss.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Double check your daily calorin count and make sure you weigh and log everything. Re-check your daily calorie needs to make sure you are at the right intake. It will go down as you lose weight. Evaluate your exercise calorie burn as it may have gone down as you got fitter. And lost weight. Aim for a lower weight loss goals for the week (2 lb/week to 1 lb/wk).

It will happen and you have to re-evaluate your calorie intake and calorie output as you lose weight.
  • MichelleleaEdge
    MichelleleaEdge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this- and the good suggestions !! Wishing everyone success!
  • eIIekay
    eIIekay Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    im not saying u do this, but for me, i get frustrated after a few days of no progress or gain, then i binge. i know it's balancing out the few days of good work i did. ive lost 41 lbs so far, and have been "stuck" here since December. I'm trying to find a way to trust the calorie numbers and stay within goal.
  • bringbackthejoy
    bringbackthejoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yes, eyes on the prize! Trust the process.
  • marthall
    marthall Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    @jwat90

8 Months since you posted, how is it going?

This might help: https://www.muscleforlife.com/not-losing-weight/

My advice is:
    • Get tighter on logging and counting calories and double check that you are missing nothing, that weights and values you are using are as accurate as you can make them. (accept that 100% accuracy is not possible - so you need to be conservative)
    • Don't eat back more than 50% of exercise calories, less if possible.
    • Make a list of net calories and add each day to your running total.
    • Be patient. It is depressing how long it takes to burn the necessary Calories
    • Get some accountability (weight loss partner, join a MPF challenge)
    • Check non scale measurements (eg photo's, body measurements)
    • Do something active every day

If you are still not loosing weight then one of your assumptions is wrong, create a bigger deficit to overcome this.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    For ANYONE who's frustrated with scale / weight Google "calorie myth". Our bodies don't "burn" calories like in a lab. It's about the QUALITY of food we're consuming. I probably eat at least 2,500 calories a day and am maintaining a 200lbs weight loss. But I dont eat a lot of processed food and especially stay away from added sugar.
  • smallsteps2success
    smallsteps2success Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Thanks for reaching out to us. We've all been there. I agree with...if you haven't already stay away from added sugar. Keep us posted. =)
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, too. I'm guessing a lot has to do with us lucky women having so many hormones that can affect weight loss. I gave up logging when I wasn't showing progress last year, but now I'm back since I hit 173 pounds. Started logging again on 8/21. My goal this time isn't necessarily to lose weight. I'm going to try (that's why I'm logging). But my new goal is to be happy with better eating habits and maintaining my energy/strength. If I lose weight too, then that's a bonus!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    As above poster mentioned taking pictures will help. Once a month, it'll let you see changes in your body even if the scale isn't.

Also, measure yourself. Use a tape measure and measure your biceps, forarms, chest, waist, hips, thighs, and calves. Once a month do it again. Again, this will show your true progress. We're all old enough to understand that it's the healthy body that's important, not necessarily a number on a scale (although that's nice too)