The Coconut Oil Experiences Thread

arguablysamson
arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
So I never used coconut during my journey...until now. This is the first night I've tried it. I'd be interested to know from others how your OMAD has been going with something like coconut oil in your coffee.

Describe how you like, when you tend to take it, and how it has worked for you in terms of metabolic improvements or appetite suppression.

Replies

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Ive been using coconut oil since April 2016, I use it for everything...I used to eat like 3 tablespoons a day but now I only eat about 1 tablespoon a day...It really does help with appetite.

Appetite Suppressant
    Yeast Infections
    UTIs
    Hemorrhoids
    Oil Pulling
    Dry Skin

I cook my eggs in it, pop my popcorn in it, and when I bake I use it to replace the oil in my desserts.

The brand I use is Island Fresh Superior Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Cold Pressed...I get it from Amazon.

• leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Wow Brenda, that's a lot of info!

I first tried co as an appetite suppressant at the suggestion of members of this group, mainly on the weekend. It helped. Once I made a 'pudding' by soaking chia seeds in water then adding a tsp of co to the resulting gel. It turned two tsp into a pretty good snack! I have Spectrum co on hand, leftover from my kids dabbling in paleo. Have also added to hot tea.
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    I love coconut oil! I cook with it since it has a higher smoke point. Before OMAD I used to put it in my coffee 1 tablespoon with 1 tbsp. of grass fed butter (kerry gold) and 1 tbsp. of heavy whipping cream. You need to blend it to make it frothy. It is delicious!! And yes, it will keep you full for a very long time!
  • Mom2annie
    Mom2annie Posts: 177 Member
    I cooked with it a few times (mainly when scrambling eggs) and could taste the coconut but it wasn't overwhelming. I added a tablespoon to a green smoothie once and it made the whole smoothie taste like pure coconut. It was nauseating to me and I ended up throwing the smoothie away. :( I haven't touched the stuff since. I wasn't using it to control appetite...I was using it for the healthy fats since I rarely eat fish.

I'm not sure of the brand or type, but I'll post them later.
  • Brendalea69
    @Mom2annie I have also tried to put coconut oil in certain foods and ended up not liking it but I really love it cooked with popcorn, It's my favorite way to consume it, you should give it a try...Some coconut oils are stronger tasting than others and the one I use now is not strong at all :)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    I keep a container with me at work and around 2 or 3 pm when I start getting hungry, I will eat about 1/2 tsp (50-cals) if I get really hungry. I don't use it often but the neat thing about it is it suppresses the appetite and it doesn't cause binge mode like other stuff will after a long fast.
  • Mom2annie
    Mom2annie Posts: 177 Member
    @Mom2annie I have also tried to put coconut oil in certain foods and ended up not liking it but I really love it cooked with popcorn, It's my favorite way to consume it, you should give it a try...Some coconut oils are stronger tasting than others and the one I use now is not strong at all :)

Thanks! I plan to try it again when I can afford to splurge on a new jar of a milder brand/type. I don't like popcorn, except occasionally at the movie theater, but if I ever get a hankering for homemade popcorn, I'll definitely try coconut oil.
  • bearfoy
    bearfoy Posts: 1 Member
    I've been doing a T of co per day for the last 11 days. Usually I add it to smoothies. I've had it in coffee and today put it in my oatmeal. I haven't lost any weight since starting it although I've met calorie goals each day. Frustrating but going to stick with it. I think I've lost inches because my pants are looser.
  • jjrogalski73
    jjrogalski73 Posts: 15 Member
    Wow. A first time offender in coconut oil usage? Say it isnt so!! Lol. You need to try what's called "Bulletproof Coffee". Put you cup of hot coffee in a blender, preferably one that is NOT the "Magic Bullet" style....., add one tbsp of coconut oil, 1 tbsp Kerrygold Grass Fed butter, 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream and sweetener of choice. Blend and get ready for the best coffee you ever had in your life. I guarantee it.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    I am ready to call this one out. It does not give energy and it DOES hinder fat loss, at least for me, but I've also had feedback on it that is negative. I know that the power to agree with what is faddy and popular is strong indeed, but I've got to call this one out. I never used it to lose, and in the last few weeks, have tried it with a purely open mind to see if it would. Nothing. Gotta call a spade a spade.
  • Brendalea69
    Coconut Oil didn't help me with weight loss either but what it did help with was my Candida and Oral Health :)
  • Munkytows
    Munkytows Posts: 3 Member
    I've never tried coconut oil, main reason is it seems gimmicky and the latest greatest health remedy. I've looked into it, and there are certain kinds you should/shouldn't get and its expensive to boot! My husband and I make our own fire cider (master tonic), and we have bees so we have raw honey. These have been around for ages! I actually thought avocados were going to be the next best thing! Lol!!! I'm sure it tastes good, and has some health benefits, the coffee recipe looks delicious! The higher smoking point for cooking is good too, just I'm not going to count on it as a weight loss helper but more of a food that has benefits.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Coconut oil doesn't cause weight loss directly and it would be better to fast than to eat it for weight loss but if your going to either binge or control your appetite with a little coconut oil, then coconut oil is a better trade off IMO.

It does control my hunger and doesn't cause me to continue eating which is about the only thing that I've found that will do that. If I'm really hungry (cant' concentrate at work) and it is close to the end of the fast but I've got an hour or two to go and I try to eat just a little something to get me through, that never works and I will eat a lot if I get started, unless, I take coconut oil which does kill my appetite and does not send me on a binge like everything else seems to do if I start eating at the end of a fast. 100 cals of coconut oil will last me about 2-hrs whereas if I get started eating, it might be 1000 cals before I'm done.

I've ran several 5ks and lifted a lot at the end of a long fast and I've also tried coconut oil right before those workouts at the end of the fast and I felt they helped with energy levels. From what I've read, it is quickly assimilated and doesn't go through all the digestion that other fats have to go through. It didn't help me as much as a recharged glycogen system does but I felt it helped some.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    edited April 2017
    Coconut oil. HUGE success of the Coconut Marketing Board.
    Some pacific islands needed an export. That's how it all started.

Coconut is possibly the worst of the oils. Per 100 grams, it has more saturated fat than butter or suet. No one I know at our university thinks coconut oil is good for anything but taste. Tastes good in curries! I've heard it is also good for your skin.
    j7dgvbwiztv1.gif
    Look at that saturated fat content!

Also, finally, someone has called out Costco for claiming coconut oil is healthy! Check out this lawsuit. https://www.truthinadvertising.org/kirkland-coconut-oil/

*Anecdote. The last time my daughter was home, I made a side dish with coconut oil. She told me she and her friends avoid it. Called it artery-clogging. For reference, she is an Olympian with a couple of golds, and all her friends are as careful about their workouts and diets as she is.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    thanks for posting this ! Good to know
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Good info, keep it coming @amflautist and @arguablysamson !!
  • Brendalea69
    edited April 2017
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/22/coconut-oil-and-saturated-fats-can-make-you-healthy.aspx
    Not all saturated fats are the same, this is a Medium-Chain Fatty Acid... I've been using Coconut Oil for a year and all my lab work is good, in fact my cholesterol has improved :)
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    edited April 2017
    It's wonderful that your cholesterol has improved! I hope it continues to improve.

(Today I am going to try a fast - as you do. Wonder if that will help my cholesterol?)
  • Brendalea69
    edited April 2017
    amflautist wrote: »
    It's wonderful that your cholesterol has improved! I hope it continues to improve.

(Today I am going to try a fast - as you do. Wonder if that will help my cholesterol?)

Thanks...Yes fasting is good for improving your cholesterol...So I'm sure by doing a water fast it will still help, I've been water fasting once a week for 4 months...How long are you going for? Mine are usually for 38-40 hours long :)
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member

Thanks...Yes fasting is good for improving your cholesterol...So I'm sure by doing a water fast it will still help, I've been water fasting once a week for 4 months...How long are you going for? Mine are usually for 38-40 hours long :)
    Off topic but when you added your weekly water fast did it increase your rate of weight loss.