Just needing to share for a moment

Options
nayneu
nayneu Posts: 11 Member
So I have something to share with everyone. I really just need to tell someone and with supportive feeling here, this where I want to share it.

This is my second time starting with LC. I have not been able to get anywhere near the amounts of veggies I want yet in my diet (just went shopping last night!) But last Wednesday I weighed myself at my parents and was shocked by what I saw, the next day I started watching what I ate. I've been very tired ever since. Which I did try upping my salt by the comments I have seen here.

What I really want to share with you is this: this morning as I was getting dressed for work I put on a shirt that I have worn every week for a very long time since it is one of few shirts that make me feel good about myself. When I put it on this morning it felt very loose. It still feels a little loose to me (definitly not hanging) and I'm excited and scared at the same time.

I'm checking my weight again tomorrow. I have not looked at it since last week. And I'm terrified that I will find I have gained even more weight instead of losing and I'm imagining the way I feel today. I am terrified that I don't know how to lose weight. Is feeling like this just my imagination? What's losing inches like.... I havent done it in a very long time. But what I remember was it was gradual. Nothing that I just realize this soon.

I know all of this seems very silly but I still had to share it. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Not silly.... I was convinced I was meant to be overweight and my body just didn't know how to loose weight.
    I was able to loose some weight on my own by watching what I ate, but I got stuck and for several months, nothing would budge and I also accepted that as my life.
    I found keto the second week of January this year and it has changed my life and i have now trained my body to loose weight and its doing a great job!
    I found the ONE thing that actually works for me! Many times the scale will stay around the same, but my measurements and clothing will tell a different storey! Take your measurements if you haven't. if at anytime the scale is pissing me off, i take my new measurements and chances are they have moved and i feel so much better! the scale can be a nasty *kitten*.
    I felt tired and worn out the first 8 weeks of keto, not going to lie.... but i am feeling awesome now. not only because of my weightloss, but more energy, and i am just happier!
    You can do this! just keep going! it is SO EASY TO QUIT! but just keep going!
    The only think i regret, is not finding this way of life a year ago... imagine where I'd be today!
    Good luck!
  • nayneu
    Options
    Thank you so much for the encouragement! I'm planning on taking my measurements tomorrow so I just do everything once a week on Wednesday. But I didn't take any last week so I will see how it goes. I wish you luck as well!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    It is good you have increased sodium. That should help, but some people will continue to be a little on the lethargic side for the first couple months as your body adapts. Ketones are processed in the mitochondria. If you have been eating the SAD for years, you likely do not have enough mitochondria in your cells. The first couple months, your cells are working to make more.

Using logic, I assume this is why people will see positive readings on ketone pee sticks for the first couple months, but then often don't after they become fat adapted. At that point, they have the mitochondria in place to more effectively use the ketones, so less get wasted out through urine.

As for the fear of losing weight, that is perfectly normal. Our appearance, weight, etc. all become part of our identity after a while. Any change can make us feel like our whole identity is changing and can be uncomfortable. One reason my daughter continues to wear glasses is because she feels like they are part of her identity and if she changes to contacts, her looks will be different enough that she won't feel like the same person.

My advice is for you to decide whether that extra weight is part of your identity you want to keep or lose. I think you have to consciously make that decision.
  • nayneu
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback. :) I'm think I'm just nervous and a little scared to think I may actually succeed this time because as you said, after all these years it's a part of who I am. (Not a part I like) and I don't know who I will be when it's gone. But I think it is exciting to find out who that person would be! Energetic? Outgoing? Will I still love to read my books? I can run in the yard with the kids! The possibilities seem endless.
  • suzc11
    suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I had 5 years of seeing no change, regardless of which diet I tried. Even fasting for 2 days at a time. No change. 5 Years. I didn't overeat. If I put on 1 lb, it remained, regardless. So after 5 years I'd gained 40 lbs. I went through some hormonal changes which played havoc with my metabolism and I was convinced I could never lose it. Then I found keto and it did. Sometimes the scale, sometimes the tape measure, sometimes a shirt. Just trust it, what have you got to lose? (we all know the answer). Good luck.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nayneu wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the feedback. :) I'm think I'm just nervous and a little scared to think I may actually succeed this time because as you said, after all these years it's a part of who I am. (Not a part I like) and I don't know who I will be when it's gone. But I think it is exciting to find out who that person would be! Energetic? Outgoing? Will I still love to read my books? I can run in the yard with the kids! The possibilities seem endless.

You'll still be the same person - a bit more energy (less to carry around!) and possibly a bit happier if any health issues are improved by weight loss or LCHF.

The only real downside I experienced was having to spend some money on new clothes. ;)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    shopping for smaller clothes is my kind of downside
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

That really was a downside for me. First, I am cheap....I mean thrifty...yeah, that sounds better. Second, I really dislike shopping, especially for clothes. My wife generally buys my shirts, but after it became apparent I needed a different size because it looked like I was wearing a tent, I had to go and try some on so she would know what size to get.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Dude. I have some jeans that are getting a little baggy so I tried on a smaller size this weekend. Wouldn't even button. UGGGGGG. such a bummer of an experience.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    If you haven't done so, start reading the NSV thread. It is full of things that result without the scales moving. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10108792/nsvs#latest

I understand the shirt thing very well. We just took a donation load over that included every single one of my shirts I have been wearing. I look like a child playing dress up in them. I pulled out my clothes from the last time I lost weight, and I have plenty to wear thank goodness. I can wear my one and only dress again and I had forgotten a group of nice summery skirts I can fit into now. Oh and the bras might start feeling strange too. I really loved that I went down in band sizes, the cups, not so much change there, so glad I kept my smaller bras, they are very expensive.

After so much failure it can be hard to accept getting results. The scale isn't all that matters.
    You are doing well, keep it up.

As for your energy, eat good protein, also watch your potassium and magnesium levels as well as the already mentioned sodium.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

That really was a downside for me. First, I am cheap....I mean thrifty...yeah, that sounds better. Second, I really dislike shopping, especially for clothes.

This is very much me!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

That really was a downside for me. First, I am cheap....I mean thrifty...yeah, that sounds better. Second, I really dislike shopping, especially for clothes. My wife generally buys my shirts, but after it became apparent I needed a different size because it looked like I was wearing a tent, I had to go and try some on so she would know what size to get.

LOL I generally shop at Value Village because I am cheap thrifty too. Plus I am fashion dumb. Someone thought it was stylish once so I probably won't be too off the mark, right? LOL
  • nayneu
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

LOL I generally shop at Value Village because I am cheap thrifty too. Plus I am fashion dumb. Someone thought it was stylish once so I probably won't be too off the mark, right? LOL

Lol, you can't go wrong there.