Very anxious about all this... Venting

Options
hmikkola92
hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
I've been on keto almost 2 weeks. Very strict, I don't allow anything besides low carb veggies, meat, eggs, cheese. I weighed myself and I'm down 5 lbs. I feel it should have been more, considering how heavy I am. I am 5'6 and 270 lbs now. I have hashimoto's disease and I feel like if I even look at cake I gain 5lbs, but it will take forever to lose weight.
The main problem is I'm embarrassed to leave my house because of my size. But I have a 6 month old so I can't just be a hermit. I just want to not be this huge. I guess I'm impatient.
I lost 5lbs and that shouldn't make a difference in size for someone so big, but my clothes feel looser. Idk if it's a placebo effect or not. Do you lose inches more readily than weight? Ugh. I cringe when I read the labels of what I used to eat.
I was just expecting a bigger loss at first, at least water weight.

Replies

• suzc11
    suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi hmikkola92. I think a 5lb is a very, very good start. My DH lost nothing till week three, then steadily since then. Everyone's body is slightly different. I gave him the same advice about fat surrounding internal organs going first, which is a really good thing, but it doesn't weigh as much as the external stuff. Do take measurements, months from now you'll wish you had and yes, your clothes really are looser! Choose something that feels a little tight right now and use that to measure with too. What I really wanted to say was - you're a mother to a 6 month old who doesn't care at all what size you are. And they won't even notice for years. Take this as a journey, get a little healthier month by month and it will add up. By the time they're up and running around the park you will be too! Even 5 lbs a month and by the time they're two you'll have lost enough to race them easily! (but you should still let them win ;) )
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    Most of my weight is in my bottom half. I didnt have a double chin until I hit this weight. I have noticed I have more energy, and it's consistent throughout the day. I used to want to nap at around 7 pm every day. So those are bonuses. Once I lose 50ish lbs it won't be a panic to lose weight anymore. I looked pretty good at 220lbs in the past. But i want to be 170 one day, maybe down to 140. Thanks, I will look up brown fat.
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    Thank you suzc11... One of my main motivations is being able to run around with my son. I can't wait until. I can. My hips and legs hurt so much when I try to walk briskly right now!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel like I have experienced a much different change in my body with this WOE versus other diets, etc. I have tried....I don't think it's placebo effect at all. Looser clothes much sooner than I would have expected based on pounds lots.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can definitely lose inches without losing weight or very much weight.
    There's no need to be embarrassed. Your body doesn't define you and st this moment you have much to be proud of anyway! You've made a hard choice to make changes and be honest with yourself and participate in a community, actively seeking support and seem on the ready to return the favor. Without a single ounce lost, that in itself is a huge victory! Be proud! Allow yourself to own that decision and recognize it for what it is. The beginning! Which is crazy exciting! It's the point at which everything else will develop and grow and be nurtured. This is a monumental turning point in your life. You have taken control and are in charge and you've established resources to help you as you need it. That's so much more than so many people will ever do!
    You have nothing to be ashamed of and everything to be proud of. The physical changes will come if you just keep up with your new commitment and stay plugged in to your available resources. The goals you hope to see are inevitable! It's no longer a matter of IF you will achieve them, but WHEN! So let that relieve some of that impatience because the path you're on WILL lead you there.
    ENJOY THE JOURNEY!

You got this!!!!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Besides what pp's have mentioned, when I drop carbs my stomach usually gets a bit flatter within a couple of days; I think it's related to losing some bloat, so that could explain why your pants already fit a little looser.
    Sounds like you're off to a good start, really!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    There is a view LCHF has to resolve any leaking gut issue before much weight loss will happen. That may be why I didn't lose a pound for the first 1.5 months.

Inflammation levels have to start dropping for fat to be released perhaps.

Try to focus on learning then doing LCHF. Weight loss will follow when health starts to recover. Failing health issues is the main thing leading to obesity with out a doubt in my mind.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You're doing fantastically so far! You lost 5 lbs in under two weeks, with hashimoto's and a 6 month old. I found it incredibly hard to lose weight before my kids were weaned. Great job.

It is hard to be patient but try to remind yourself how well you are doing. Clothes are already getting looser (I notice a 5 lb difference too) and if you keep up that rate of loss you could be losing 10lbs per month! It doesn't get (safely) much better than that! :) You could be in "one-derland" by Xmas time. Great work!

My advice will be to take before measurements and pictures. It's amazing to see your own progress, and if you do stall on the scale, chances are that the pictures and measuring tape will show you shrinking. :)
  • tinachris14
    tinachris14 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Don't minimize that 5lb loss, that is great success so far! Keep chuggin along girl, you're doing great!
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Visualizing my losses always helped me. 5 pounds is 20 sticks of butter...that is a lot! Congrats!
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Visualizing my losses always helped me. 5 pounds is 20 sticks of butter...that is a lot! Congrats!

I do that too. If you're losing more weight, the 'unit' I use is the 5-gallon water cooler jug. Those weigh 50 pounds. So if you've lost 50 pounds, that's one full 5-gallon water jug. Imagine carrying one of those around with you everywhere you go - and then no longer having to! :smile: