Cold Breakfast

TravellerRay
TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
Hi, I apologise if I am being lazy, because there are many postings here about food, so maybe I should have searched more. One of the things that I am missing is my breakfast cereal, whether oats or museli.

All of my online searches for substitutes are coming back high in carbs. So I wondered what others here ate when not ploughing through bacon. Prefer something cold that I could fix pretty quickly.

Thanks

Ray

Replies

• tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    I have this pinned, but haven't tried it yet:

https://www.ketoconnect.net/cinnamon-keto-granola/

Also, I frequent make this hot cereal for breakfast - takes just a minute to put together.

2 T Coconut Flour (or 1/4 c Almond flour)
    2 T Milled Flaxseed
    1 T protein powder (I use zero carb Isopure Vanilla)
    Cinnamon

Mix together, add boiling water to desired consistency. If you use Coconut flour, it will need more water b/c it really absorbs the water. Almond Flour = approx 250 cals, 3g net carbs, Coconut Flour - approx 150 cals, 3g net carbs

Sometimes I throw some PB or unsweetend coconut in there to change it up.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited March 2017
    Plain Greek yogurt with fresh or frozen berries blended in. Has some carbs, though. I weigh and measure 4 days at a time, keeps in the fridge for a quick grab and go. Blend in some protein mix if you need more protein, or keep some cut-up chicken/ steak/ etc ready to grab along with it. (Stick blenders usually fit in a wide-mouth Mason jar, makes it easy to blend, less clean-up)
  • TravellerRay
    Thanks, both are great suggestions. For the Granola, since I do not have a sweet tooth. I wonder what other things I could add and skip the maple syrup
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    I have seen granola recipes call for egg whites to help clump/crisp the granola up while baking. That may be a good LC substitute
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I've not had it since beginning keto but when eating higher carb, I loved my Steel Cut Oats in the AM (or as a night time snack) with nuts and cinnamon cooked in. I added a little sweetener too. OK. I was higher carb so added a small amount of raisins. :)

I used a "quick cook" method to keep a bit of crunch/texture. Hot pan, quickly "toast" dry oats, add nuts (whatever), add a slightly less amount of water than recipe calls for, stir as you bring to a quick boil (since pan is already hot). Turn off heat, put lid on, let sit.

I'd make 4 servings at once so kept them in them in the refrigerator portioned out. I mostly ate them cold but a serving reheats in less than a minute in the microwave.

Not low carb (about 23 net for just the oats) but they may fit your carb amount. AND I think they're delicious. I also favor plain Greek Yogurt with fresh, frozen berries. With the yogurt/berries I limit vegetables the rest of the day and would do the same if I had steel cut oats.

Might not work for you but may be for another reader. I'm not a fan of regular oatmeal but steel cut oats have a great texture (for me) if not over cooked.
  • suzc11
    suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
    Hi Ray, I think you're from the UK? This is one of the only premixed packaged things I buy, but it has no junk in it and it hits the spot, cereal wise. On it's own a 30g portion (2 carbs) is just a very small bowlful, great with unsweetened almond milk. But better still, soak two tablespoons of chia seeds the night before in almond milk, spinkle 30g of this stuff over the top. Add a tbs of cream if you like. Maybe a few berries It's as near cereal as I can get. k53o8rawn259.png
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    http://www.butterisnotacarb.com/easy-zero-carb-egg-muffins/

I make several versions, they freeze well too. Also makes a great lunch.

Hard boiled eggs.
  • TravellerRay
    suzc11 wrote: »
    Hi Ray, I think you're from the UK? This is one of the only premixed packaged things I buy, but it has no junk in it and it hits the spot, cereal wise. On it's own a 30g portion (2 carbs) is just a very small bowlful, great with unsweetened almond milk. But better still, soak two tablespoons of chia seeds the night before in almond milk, spinkle 30g of this stuff over the top. Add a tbs of cream if you like. Maybe a few berries It's as near cereal as I can get. k53o8rawn259.png

Thanks for that. I saw it on Amazon and wondered
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Plain unflavored quark or plain unflavored yogurt sweetened with your sweetener of choice. I also like Rhubarb Flummery. It's super easy to make up a batch on the week-end, portion them out and stick them in the refrigerator or freezer. You literally dump everyting into a crock pot or slow-cooker, walk away and forget about it for several hours.

http://lowcarbdudecom.blogspot.com/2007/10/recipe-low-carb-rhubarb-flummery-in.html
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    A friend of mine loves this
    8vvykukbdlip.jpg
    WHY HAVENT I THOUGHT OF THIS. Genius. Can't wait to try it :yum:
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    I saw chopped pecans mixture on Keto utube- loved it good idea!
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    If you really don't like to cook like me, I have a whey shake with water and/or a quest bar :) Nothing like the taste of chocolate in the morning :)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    For quick, you can't beat hard boiled eggs since you can make a large batch at one time and be prepared for a week at a time. Also, they are good with salt, and I know I am always looking for a good way to add in some sodium.
  • TravellerRay
    tjones0411 wrote: »
    I have this pinned, but haven't tried it yet:

https://www.ketoconnect.net/cinnamon-keto-granola/

Also, I frequent make this hot cereal for breakfast - takes just a minute to put together.

2 T Coconut Flour (or 1/4 c Almond flour)
    2 T Milled Flaxseed
    1 T protein powder (I use zero carb Isopure Vanilla)
    Cinnamon

Mix together, add boiling water to desired consistency. If you use Coconut flour, it will need more water b/c it really absorbs the water. Almond Flour = approx 250 cals, 3g net carbs, Coconut Flour - approx 150 cals, 3g net carbs

Sometimes I throw some PB or unsweetend coconut in there to change it up.

I now have the ingredients. Looking forward to trying this recipe on the weekend ☺️
  • cr8ivewonder
    cr8ivewonder Posts: 44 Member
    I made my own cereal that was pretty darn good. I also don't like sweet for breakfast, so I didn't add sugar: I toasted sunflower seeds, pecans, coconut in coconut oil. Added some butter and let it cool. Served it with almond/coconut milk blend. So good and crunchy!