Anyone sticking to strict keto?

Options

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    If you're carb addicted (join the club!), it might be best to try to hit it head-on.

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I dont know if I'm in ketosis, I dont measure. However I keep carbs under 35g as a general rule. I have eaten this way for roughly 3 years with varying degrees of success.

First two runs at low carb I eventually went back to SAD eating. I had met my goals and figured I could "let up" or that I diserved to be "normal" again. Well I've never been normal so I don't know why I feel like I deserve normality in my way of eating!

Anyway, this time I've very consciously made sure I don't follow anyone elses program but mine. I do what works for me and my lifestyle and yes, occasionally I have a beer and a slice of pizza. But what's changed for me is instead of setting off a wave of uncontrolled carb eating I now know that food is always there, always available. I don't have to eat it all, cause I can choose to have another slice next week if I want.

So, the best advice I can give you is figure out what works for you and do that. Be honest with yourself about what foods you want and why you want them. And live daily. By that, I mean don't worry about what you'll eat tomorrow or what you ate yesterday, worry about what your eating right now.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    hmikkola92 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I have 100lbs to lose to be content. And then I could lose 40 more to be slim. I mostly just want it to be as quick as possible. I know it will slow down eventually, but i don't want to hinder my progress for a few bites of dark chocolate or fruit. I just sometimes drool a little when I think of sweets, my weakness

Dark chocolate is actually LCHF friendly. Just make sure the % of caco (Chocolate) is as high as possible. I like dark chocolate in the 70-82% range myself, but there are those out there who love the 100% pure unsweetened baker's chocolate too. I would not be able to follow or stick with this way of eating (WOE) if I couldn't indulge my sweet tooth (seriously - just check out my food diary if you don't believe me because I have something sweet EVERY SINGLE DAY - usually several sweet things, lol)!! If you like sweets, I strongly suggest that you google LCHF or Ketogenic recipes for whatever sweet it is that you are craving and learn to make it at home. That's what I do. That way I kill two birds with one stone: (1) I kill the craving by allowing myself to safely indulge my sweet tooth; and (2) there's no guilt involved in eating the sweet treats because I've made them at home with healthy fats and healthy flours. I've always found the easiest way to kill a craving is to feed it.

It's okay to be strict with yourself especially at first. Personally, I have noting against doing Keto this way but after reading your above comment, my brain said, "Why suffer like that when you can have your cake and eat it too?" I was in a similar boat. When I started this WOE, I weighed roughly 300 pounds. Now I weigh roughly 132-133 (successfully eliminated 167 pounds) and I allowed myself to eat LCHF treats and the occasional small servings of fruit (usually berries) during my weight-loss. Full story is posted on my profile. Anyway, most of here already know that there is no "one right way" of doing Keto. Find something that works for you and stick to with it. Best of luck to you.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support everyone. I don't own a scale but I use my mom's when I visit. If I owned one I feel like I would obsess over weight and if I gained at all I would give up. Also, I see people criticizing this diet for being unhealthy... How is it unhealthy to not eat sugar and bread? I don't understand their thinking. I have hashimoto's disease and I feel much more energized already than I have in 14 years, since I was diagnosed at 11 years old. I think this is the diet for me regardless of weight loss.

Food scales (not the kind of scale that you step on to "weigh" yourself) are you friend. You really should invest in a FOOD scale; however, I understand your point. It's just waaaaay too easy to eat more than you think you're eating if you aren't weighing YOUR FOOD by ounces and/or grams. There are several YouTube videos that show how there can be quite a significant difference even between two measuring cups of the same size albeit different brands.

The majority of the general population do not understand the science and mechanics of how and why Keto works and they usually don't really want to know because they are generally too lazy to do their own research /homework. They've been brainwashed and believe everything the government, the American Diabetic Association, the American Heart Association, the FDA, Big Medicine, Big Pharma and Big food companies tell them with respect to "health and nutrition." They've become SHEEPLE (people who are sheep who just follow the person in front of them without any idea or reason why they are following said person). We are so glad you are not a SHEEPLE!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I have 100lbs to lose to be content. And then I could lose 40 more to be slim. I mostly just want it to be as quick as possible. I know it will slow down eventually, but i don't want to hinder my progress for a few bites of dark chocolate or fruit. I just sometimes drool a little when I think of sweets, my weakness

Dark chocolate is actually LCHF friendly. Just make sure the % of caco (Chocolate) is as high as possible. I like dark chocolate in the 70-82% range myself, but there are those out there who love the 100% pure unsweetened baker's chocolate too. I would not be able to follow or stick with this way of eating (WOE) if I couldn't indulge my sweet tooth (seriously - just check out my food diary if you don't believe me because I have something sweet EVERY SINGLE DAY - usually several sweet things, lol)!! If you like sweets, I strongly suggest that you google LCHF or Ketogenic recipes for whatever sweet it is that you are craving and learn to make it at home. That's what I do. That way I kill two birds with one stone: (1) I kill the craving by allowing myself to safely indulge my sweet tooth; and (2) there's no guilt involved in eating the sweet treats because I've made them at home with healthy fats and healthy flours. I've always found the easiest way to kill a craving is to feed it.

It's okay to be strict with yourself especially at first. Personally, I have noting against doing Keto this way but after reading your above comment, my brain said, "Why suffer like that when you can have your cake and eat it too?" I was in a similar boat. When I started this WOE, I weighed roughly 300 pounds. Now I weigh roughly 132-133 (successfully eliminated 167 pounds) and I allowed myself to eat LCHF treats and the occasional small servings of fruit (usually berries) during my weight-loss. Full story is posted on my profile. Anyway, most of here already know that there is no "one right way" of doing Keto. Find something that works for you and stick to with it. Best of luck to you.

I just went and had a piece of 100% cocoa Baker brand. The best used by date was two years ago but it has been in the frig for many years now.

I agree most of us wind up doing KETO "our way". I only live in my body and can only learn what works best for me and then act on it. The first 6 months was a crazy learning curve and now 2.5 years later I am still learning how to tweak my "KETO Way".

Best of success to all.
  • Libellue23
    Libellue23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Its funny how low carb sweets can set off the cravings in some but not in others. Everyone does Keto / low carb their own way
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've had a rough time getting my fat up and carbs and protein down. My net carbs have mostly been in the 30-35g range. Today was my first day of something really resembling keto, 80%/17%/3%. Just demolished 700 kcals of a fake-*kitten* coconut lime cheesecake I whipped up that was 92% kcals from fat. I'm a little over on my calories for the day, but still way under maintenance. It was totally worth it.

My pee stinks, but I also eat a lot of asparagus. Not even certain that I'm in ketosis. I'm calling Abbott tomorrow to get my hands on a Precision Xtra. I'm gonna give it a go.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options

I agree most of us wind up doing KETO "our way". I only live in my body and can only learn what works best for me and then act on it. The first 6 months was a crazy learning curve and now 2.5 years later I am still learning how to tweak my "KETO Way".

Best of success to all.

I have never used the keto sticks for example. I am mostly in the 20-30 carb range most days, and I am really doing this to lose weight and control my blood sugar readings. If a test shows I am in or out of ketosis, I don't really care. My progress is measured on the scales and with the glucometer. There has been a learning curve for me, and a lot of seeing what works and what doesn't.

• RalfLott
    Options
    Just_Eric wrote: »
    I've had a rough time getting my fat up and carbs and protein down. My net carbs have mostly been in the 30-35g range. Today was my first day of something really resembling keto, 80%/17%/3%. Just demolished 700 kcals of a fake-*kitten* coconut lime cheesecake I whipped up that was 92% kcals from fat. I'm a little over on my calories for the day, but still way under maintenance. It was totally worth it.

My pee stinks, but I also eat a lot of asparagus. Not even certain that I'm in ketosis. I'm calling Abbott tomorrow to get my hands on a Precision Xtra. I'm gonna give it a go.

FYI, The meter is not very expensive ($20-25) but the strips can be pricey ($4+ each). Last time I checked, Canadian mail order companies had the best retail prices. (If you're diabetic, your insurance *might* cover them with a doctor's statement of need. I used LibertyMedical.Com, which shuffled paperwork between my doctor & insurance carrier and sent me the strips within a couple days.)

Sorry if I'm schlepping sand to the sea here, but I might suggest using grams rather than percentages - ceiling on net carb grams, protein range (enough to prevent muscle loss), and fat to satiety. No need to get fat grams up to a specific level, unless you're already at your goal weight/BMI. ??

Here's a keto calculator that allows you to tweak several variables:
    http://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Do you think its possible to stick to this long term or will I eventually cave and have to have low carb sweets and stuff?

No, you won't be required to eat any stuff that's bad for you.

Basically, it's all in your head. Here's my approach, which is pretty common. YMMV....

I look at any sweet, starch, or junk food as poison that will eat a hole through your skull and give you perpetual diarrhea, hot flashes, and garlic breath with metallic overtones. Oh, and make you belch acid and sparks whenever you try to talk.

Is that helpful?

What is YMMV stand for?
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support everyone. I don't own a scale but I use my mom's when I visit. If I owned one I feel like I would obsess over weight and if I gained at all I would give up. Also, I see people criticizing this diet for being unhealthy... How is it unhealthy to not eat sugar and bread? I don't understand their thinking. I have hashimoto's disease and I feel much more energized already than I have in 14 years, since I was diagnosed at 11 years old. I think this is the diet for me regardless of weight loss.

too much stock is put into weight. better benchmarks are how your clothes fit and, most important, how you feel.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Do you think its possible to stick to this long term or will I eventually cave and have to have low carb sweets and stuff?

No, you won't be required to eat any stuff that's bad for you.

Basically, it's all in your head. Here's my approach, which is pretty common. YMMV....

I look at any sweet, starch, or junk food as poison that will eat a hole through your skull and give you perpetual diarrhea, hot flashes, and garlic breath with metallic overtones. Oh, and make you belch acid and sparks whenever you try to talk.

Is that helpful?

What is YMMV stand for?

Your mileage may vary
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

Best of success to all.

I have never used the keto sticks for example. I am mostly in the 20-30 carb range most days, and I am really doing this to lose weight and control my blood sugar readings. If a test shows I am in or out of ketosis, I don't really care. My progress is measured on the scales and with the glucometer. There has been a learning curve for me, and a lot of seeing what works and what doesn't.

Great points. At first I thought my ketone level was a factor but now I know it's is being faithful to my macro where I am losing or gaining because I do both.

I actually found MFP when looking for information on how to check my Ketosis level using a $15 alcohol breath anylizer off eBay.

2.5 years later I still use it most days out of habit but I have the blood meter but as noted ketone strips are expensive. The $15 blow meter helps me learn about hidden carbs when I eat out.

I could tell by taste and smell I was in ketosis and did blow .037 which is mild Keto based on past blood testing with ketone strips.

When I am very LCHF I sometimes blow .050 or > setting off the alarm. At the time my son had just gotten his driver's license and didn't want to ride with me driving. :)

Now the only test results I keep watching is my C-Reactive Protein levels like a hawk.

Keep majoring on the Majors vs the Minors.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    According to Drs Human and Perlmutter sugarS feeds tumors. Imagine them all over your body. Eat as much sugarS as you want tumors. Fake sugarS, such as diet coke, kill your healhy gut bacteria, which is 80% of your immune system. Eat as much of them as you want colds and other dis-ease. Gluten mimics thyroid tissue. When we eat it, our body attack our thyroid. Does this help you stay on keto eating yummy veg and meat?
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    What is YMMV stand for?

Your Mileage May Vary.

Edit: Oops didn't realize that question was bottom of page 1 and there were more posts where it was already answered.
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have done really well with this WOE also. I have had a few slips over the last month or two, but not constant slip-ups. I was so strict at first. I drink a cup or two of coffee after work each day. I can't in the morning. It sends me to the bathroom, and I can't leave my class just for that. Lately, however, my wife has been making all these keto treats. They are better than the real sweet, deadly treats, but I do feel they are hindering my progress. I just wish she would hide them. I am going to start doing the strict version of keto the way I did from August until November. I have to. Another poster said that these little treats make them crave it more. Me too. It has to stop.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    According to Drs Human and Perlmutter sugarS feeds tumors. Imagine them all over your body. Eat as much sugarS as you want tumors. Fake sugarS, such as diet coke, kill your healhy gut bacteria, which is 80% of your immune system. Eat as much of them as you want colds and other dis-ease. Gluten mimics thyroid tissue. When we eat it, our body attack our thyroid. Does this help you stay on keto eating yummy veg and meat?

A post I could quote and defend from a witness stand successfully to 6 or 12 people off of the street based off of my background and past two+ years of reading research and spending thousands on self testing longevity options from Amazon.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

Best of success to all.

Great points. At first I thought my ketone level was a factor but now I know it's is being faithful to my macro where I am losing or gaining because I do both.

I actually found MFP when looking for information on how to check my Ketosis level using a $15 alcohol breath anylizer off eBay.

2.5 years later I still use it most days out of habit but I have the blood meter but as noted ketone strips are expensive. The $15 blow meter helps me learn about hidden carbs when I eat out.

I could tell by taste and smell I was in ketosis and did blow .037 which is mild Keto based on past blood testing with ketone strips.

When I am very LCHF I sometimes blow .050 or > setting off the alarm. At the time my son had just gotten his driver's license and didn't want to ride with me driving. :)

Now the only test results I keep watching is my C-Reactive Protein levels like a hawk.

Keep majoring on the Majors vs the Minors.

Me too. I think high ketones is mainly important for people who need higher ketones for health benefits. I'm not sure it helps with weight loss or not.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <Refresh>