Insane Weight Gain After Stopping For 3 Days

Options
cr8ivewonder
cr8ivewonder Posts: 44 Member
So last Thursday, after severe pain, I was admitted to the hospital with kidney stones. I was admitted, and given some heavy narcotics to help with the pain. Narcotics that made me ill.

I spent three days eating hospital food, including a lot of toast and crackers to keep me from getting sick.

I was 188 on Thursday morning. Sunday night I was 193. I started back into Keto WOE Monday. This morning (Wednesday) I was 195.

That is INSANE. I'm assuming a lot of it is water weight, likely attributed to the meds to flush my system. But still. I was so devastated that I went from 188 back to 195. That had taken me a month to lose that.

Anyone else have a similar experience where, poof, they wake up and it's all magically gone and your back to normal? Feeling really disappointed that things changed, and out of my control.

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    Just take control of your diet again. Yea, meds play havoc with weight loss, some of that is water retention in your muscles, they can be sponges :). Get back to what worked. Also flying can do this. I never weigh myself when I get home from a trip, I wait a few days.

Keep calm and keto on :)
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Stress, pain and carbs...a total recipe for inflammation and water retention. I hope you're feeling better!! I would imagine you'll see a large drop once you're back to your carb level and your body has healed.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    OMG - yes - totally yes. I had a migraine on Monday, which meant taking lots of OTC pain meds plus herbal pain meds - they always always always make me retain a ton of water...I think I gained about 6 lbs almost immediately...Tuesday, no change, today down 2 lbs, and I expect I'll loose 2 lbs each today and tomorrow as well if previous patterns hold true.

Just keep drinking plenty of water, keep the carbs down, and give it time, for me it takes a few days to drop off but it does always drop off.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    The gain is likely largely water and slower digestion (more junk in your system) which should resolve fairly quickly.

As for the kidney stones, I have heard multiple times how if you are keto and cheat and get dehydrated at the same time, kidney stones are likely. It doesn't have to be a big cheat (i.e. eating an entire box of donuts). One of the most common could be alcohol related - especially beer. Beer has a lot of carbs and it will dehydrate you.

You may want to look back at what you did for the week or so before the kidney stones to see if there was a time where you ate something or drank something where you either went off plan or it was food/drink where you did not have control of how it was made and it may have been more carb loaded than you realized.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Anyone else have a similar experience where, poof, they wake up and it's all magically gone and your back to normal? Feeling really disappointed that things changed, and out of my control.

I became pretty uncomfortable at about 3 PM one afternoon. I asked my husband to take me to a doc about 4 PM. Was send to the hospital about 5 PM. Spent 10 hours in the ER trying to keep down that crap they were giving me for a CT Scan. Finally had the scan at 4 AM. Was operated on for appendicitis at 5 AM. Spend 12 hours on an IV while under observation in a room in the hospital. Was discharged at 6 PM. Came home and went back to bed for rest.

Weighed the next morning and was 7 pounds heavier than the day before. It was gone in a couple of days.

Could be the result of inflammation or the contents of an IV if you were on one.

• Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This is why the scale is bad. None of that was fat gain and therefore not bad weight. Hang in there and don't get down on yourself.
  • cr8ivewonder
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Could be the result of inflammation or the contents of an IV if you were on one.

I did have an IV. They said I was dehydrated as hell-I had the flu for 2 days prior to the kidney stones, and didn't keep anything in. I believe it was potassium and saline they dripped into me. Makes sense.
  • cr8ivewonder
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    The gain is likely largely water and slower digestion (more junk in your system) which should resolve fairly quickly.

As for the kidney stones, I have heard multiple times how if you are keto and cheat and get dehydrated at the same time, kidney stones are likely. It doesn't have to be a big cheat (i.e. eating an entire box of donuts). One of the most common could be alcohol related - especially beer. Beer has a lot of carbs and it will dehydrate you.

You may want to look back at what you did for the week or so before the kidney stones to see if there was a time where you ate something or drank something where you either went off plan or it was food/drink where you did not have control of how it was made and it may have been more carb loaded than you realized.

I had the flu on Monday and Tuesday, felt better Wednesday. This likely played into it somewhat, although the DR did insinuate my diet was to blame for the stones and this was a long time coming. She asked what I eat. I took her advice with a grain of salt, as my own research does not link Keto to Kidney Stones.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

I had the flu on Monday and Tuesday, felt better Wednesday. This likely played into it somewhat, although the DR did insinuate my diet was to blame for the stones and this was a long time coming. She asked what I eat. I took her advice with a grain of salt, as my own research does not link Keto to Kidney Stones.

It sounds like the dehydration part was the key to the stones along with the flu.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    So last Thursday, after severe pain, I was admitted to the hospital with kidney stones. I was admitted, and given some heavy narcotics to help with the pain. Narcotics that made me ill.

I spent three days eating hospital food, including a lot of toast and crackers to keep me from getting sick.

I was 188 on Thursday morning. Sunday night I was 193. I started back into Keto WOE Monday. This morning (Wednesday) I was 195.

That is INSANE. I'm assuming a lot of it is water weight, likely attributed to the meds to flush my system. But still. I was so devastated that I went from 188 back to 195. That had taken me a month to lose that.

Yes. It's crazy, isn't it?
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Medication, etc. do weird stuff. I had an emergency appendectomy in December. I went in 130lbs, didn't eat for three days in hospital and went home 150lbs! 20lbs of water weight from medication and such without having ingested a damn thing lol. I wouldn't sweat it!
  • nichellelee2002
    nichellelee2002 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was also admitted for 4-days last week to the hospital for a severe case of diverticulitis. I was on a liquid diet for 3 of those days with heavy IV antibiotics, Rx and a sodium/potassium drip. The hospital was very accommodating to my lifestyle but I still had gained almost 7 pounds. It came off in just a few days after I was released. It will come off very quickly, don't worry o:}
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    My daughter is on night 3 of her stay in ICU for diabetic ketoacidosis which was triggered by having the flu and her boss making her go into work... anyway, she was finally allowed to eat today and has a carb restricted menu...
    That's laughable! She has difficult to control blood sugars and she's supposed to choose 4 carbs per meal! A compliant meal on her carb restriction could have bread, fruit, juice and a dessert!!! Ridiculous!
    When she calls her order in, each time they are telling her she has to choose 4 carbs. So that means she can't order enough of the foods she actually could eat so I brought her food to supplement their *kitten* meals.
    They also would start to freak out any time her blood sugar got under 150 like she was having some dangerous low or something. Now that she's off the insulin drip and doing her own injections again, she's back to maintaining no higher than 120 again.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    That's appalling! :s

How many carbs do you have to order if you don't get the "carb restricted" menu?!?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

How many carbs do you have to order if you don't get the "carb restricted" menu?!?

I have no idea! It's seriously crazy!

They thought she was going to be released to eat last night after the cafeteria would've been closed so I said I would get her something before it closed so it would be there when she could eat and the nurse told me not to because she would be on the restricted carb diet and not to worry because they have boxed meals on their floor for when this kind of thing happens. She was worried about what I might buy in the cafeteria but the boxed meal would've been a sandwich and chips... I literally laughed out loud when she said that and told the nurse there is nothing carb restricted about that meal that I would get her waaaay healthier food than that.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I have no idea! It's seriously crazy!

They thought she was going to be released to eat last night after the cafeteria would've been closed so I said I would get her something before it closed so it would be there when she could eat and the nurse told me not to because she would be on the restricted carb diet and not to worry because they have boxed meals on their floor for when this kind of thing happens. She was worried about what I might buy in the cafeteria but the boxed meal would've been a sandwich and chips... I literally laughed out loud when she said that and told the nurse there is nothing carb restricted about that meal that I would get her waaaay healthier food than that.

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! :o

Thank God you're there!

• cr8ivewonder
    Options
    This morning I was at 191, from the 195 yesterday. Things are starting to melt away...thank god!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My daughter is on night 3 of her stay in ICU for diabetic ketoacidosis which was triggered by having the flu and her boss making her go into work... anyway, she was finally allowed to eat today and has a carb restricted menu...

Her boss should be fired.....So much better for her to work with the flu than to take care of herself. How's that working out for them now that she has to be in the hospital? Ridiculous!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options

Before I started doing low carb, I did a bunch of research about the effect of keto eating on kidney issues, ketoacidosis can be an issue, but that is not eating keto style. I have had 2 kidney infections in my life, so I am sensitive to anything that might harm my kidneys.
    Too bad drs. don't get time off to just stay current on medical issues.

I am relieved that my dr. who is an older woman, has educated herself about issues related to women over 60s. She gave me the heads up on continuing this WOE since it works so well for me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Before I started doing low carb, I did a bunch of research about the effect of keto eating on kidney issues, ketoacidosis can be an issue, but that is not eating keto style. I have had 2 kidney infections in my life, so I am sensitive to anything that might harm my kidneys.
    Too bad drs. don't get time off to just stay current on medical issues.

I am relieved that my dr. who is an older woman, has educated herself about issues related to women over 60s. She gave me the heads up on continuing this WOE since it works so well for me.

ONLY if your pancreas makes NO insulin.