FitBit steps not showing up in MyFitnessPal app

Options

Replies

• MissAbbee
    MissAbbee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My steps are showing up but no calorie burn at all, is this part of the issue?
  • slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Still no syncing of my steps from Fitbit. Wth when is this going to get fixed
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    Mine just up and started working yesterday morning. I don't have any data from the time it wasn't working tho. I hope this isn't a reoccurring issue.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm still having syncing issues. MFP is giving me very tiny calorie amounts for fitbit adjustments, despite significant exercise.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I'm still having syncing issues. MFP is giving me very tiny calorie amounts for fitbit adjustments, despite significant exercise.

If you are getting some adjustment, have you confirmed that indeed the syncing stops at some point during the day?

Because you can have a great workout, be not so active rest the day - and if you selected a high MFP activity level, get no adjustment or small one.

So the fact it's small with exercise doesn't by itself mean you aren't syncing.

You must look at the details for the adjustment that is there - when was the time of the last sync?

That will tell you what you need to know.
  • journeyrock92
    journeyrock92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I guess I spoke too soon about my Fitbit working properly with myfitnesspal again. It's doing the same crap it did the other day by not accounting for any extra steps I've already taken today. I'm becoming very frustrated with this. I wish the developers would quit f****** with the app.
  • superlauren11
    superlauren11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Mine just started bugging out today too :(
  • thesweetpea59
    thesweetpea59 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am very disappointed in the lack of response by MFP about this issue.

Nothing I have tried has worked for me. What used to work doesn't anymore! I have checked other online calorie counters but none have the database that MFP has; not nearly as comprehensive and easy to use. So what I have done (for me) is determine the calorie burn for 1K steps, 2K steps, etc and added them to the exercise database so I can add that to my daily log and get an idea of where I am calorie wise for the day. This way, it still shows up like the Fitbit sync calorie burn USED TO and I can see where I am for the day.
  • cboz1969
    cboz1969 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ARRRGGGHHH... I'm going to try powering off my cell (Android) and powering on, as well as turning my bluetooth on and off. All shows the correct Fitbit information on the MFP web under Check-In.
  • cboz1969
    Options
    No such luck. Kind of ticked because I am paying for the Premium version of MFP!
  • cboz1969
    Options
    SUCCESS!!! I emailed the MFP Help Desk. They had to refresh my account on their end. Steps from Fitbit are now showing up on my Android Mobile App.
  • journeyrock92
    journeyrock92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Now mine is working again. Go figure!
  • slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cboz1969 wrote: »
    SUCCESS!!! I emailed the MFP Help Desk. They had to refresh my account on their end. Steps from Fitbit are now showing up on my Android Mobile App.
    Wish they would respond to me as I have an I phone and have the same issue. Very frustrating and the didn't fix the issue just ask me to report a problem. Thought that is what I was doing
  • caryn_n
    caryn_n Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    MFP should nix the step sync from fitbit altogether and just let us manually input a step total under exercise since they can't get it right. This is ridiculous.
  • heybales
    Options
    So curious for all those commenting more on steps not showing up rather than calories - you have a Fitbit page of stats - you get emailed weekly totals and averages, which includes those steps.

What exactly is used on the MFP side of things for that view of steps anyway?

Do you look at graphs on MFP for those steps, rather than the nice Fitbit ones?

One impact does it have on your day that glancing at your device would not tell you?

Just wondering about this in the scheme of things, yes, it's supposed to work, but the last comment got me thinking.

MFP for food, Fitbit for activity. That's the best method anyway. Steps is activity.
  • caryn_n
    Options
    I'm more concerned about the actual calorie adjustment, which I don't get if the steps don't sync between the apps. I do look at my fitbit graphs. They're nice, but they don't give me the "If you did this every day, you'd weigh X lbs" message, which I like in order to track how much progress I should be making with my weight loss goals.

I also only sync my fitbit at the end of the day. I don't want my goals on MFP to change, as I view my extra activity as sort of a bonus to weight loss and not usually as additional calories I can consume.
  • heybales
    Options
    caryn_n wrote: »
    I'm more concerned about the actual calorie adjustment, which I don't get if the steps don't sync between the apps. I do look at my fitbit graphs. They're nice, but they don't give me the "If you did this every day, you'd weigh X lbs" message, which I like in order to track how much progress I should be making with my weight loss goals.

I also only sync my fitbit at the end of the day. I don't want my goals on MFP to change, as I view my extra activity as sort of a bonus to weight loss and not usually as additional calories I can consume.

So you trust your guess of daily activity level from the 4 rough levels over a device that goes with you daily?

Did you know that MFP already factors in a deficit to their estimated daily burn (based on that guess of yours) with NO exercise or increased activity being expected?

Keep a reasonable deficit (perhaps you did set that low and let exercise make up the rest), and you'll have more long term success.
  • caryn_n
    Options
    I have daily activity level set to the lowest setting, which, from what I've read, is what MFP recommends if you don't sync often. Generally I get in about 4,000-5,000 steps during the week and 2,000 to 3,000 on weekends.

I do trust the guess of MFP's activity levels over the horribly inaccurate food tracker in fitbit. From what I've heard, MFP's guess is still fairly accurate. This is why I'm advocating for MFP to stop trying to import things from third party apps and develop a better way for us to manually do it, which would be much more accurate.

I'm on a 1,520 calorie per day plan and I try to stay under the sugar, saturated fat, fat, and sodium "goals". I worry about how I'm eating more than I worry about the calorie intake- there are days when I only eat 1,300-1,400 calories but hit my protein and carbohydrate goals and don't feel hungry. I only have about another 10 lbs to lose before I'm at my goal weight. (For reference I've lost 25 already since October just by focusing a little more on my diet using MFP.)
  • thesweetpea59
    thesweetpea59 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The issue of my Fitbit not syncing and showing extra calories earned has been solved. I did email the helpdesk who in turn helped me resolve the issue. Here is what I had to do and I had to do it from a mobile device since the options I needed were not visible to me using the web app on my Windows 10 desktop. From the mobile MFP app, I went to Main Menu --> Steps --> Fitbit Tracker. Here is where my issue was because "Don't Track Steps" was checked by default. This is where you need to check Fitbit Tracker because although my Fitbit was already connected and synced to my account, the wrong item was checked when it came to steps. That solved my whole problem. It took a few hours to start working for me, but now it is all working as it should.

Maybe this will help some of you; if not, I encourage you to email the help desk. Frannie was very patient, helpful and positive. A good customer service experience, for sure.
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The issue of my Fitbit not syncing and showing extra calories earned has been solved. I did email the helpdesk who in turn helped me resolve the issue. Here is what I had to do and I had to do it from a mobile device since the options I needed were not visible to me using the web app on my Windows 10 desktop. From the mobile MFP app, I went to Main Menu --> Steps --> Fitbit Tracker. Here is where my issue was because "Don't Track Steps" was checked by default. This is where you need to check Fitbit Tracker because although my Fitbit was already connected and synced to my account, the wrong item was checked when it came to steps. That solved my whole problem. It took a few hours to start working for me, but now it is all working as it should.

Maybe this will help some of you; if not, I encourage you to email the help desk. Frannie was very patient, helpful and positive. A good customer service experience, for sure.

I just gave this a try and will wait a few hours to see if it's working. I tried to email yesterday and the form wouldn't go through. My next step will be trying to hit them up on Facebook to see if they can help fix it.