Keto and Fasting

Options
Found this great article on fasting and how nicely it pairs with a ketogenic diet!
http://burnfatnotsugar.com/intermittent-fasting.html

It's pretty long, but if you're interested it's a great read. Basically, there's a lot of old rules (including "fat is bad") that we need to update - they're old and not based on true science!

In a nut shell:
*You burn fat when you're in a fasting state and burn sugar/carbs you eat when you're in a "fed"state

*Eating a higher fat diet makes it easier to feel good during a fasting state
*Eating higher carb diet keeps you in the "fed state" which leaves your fat stores as storage, not as fuel

*The article recommends a lot of ways to fast but typically it means skipping breakfast (gasp!) Basically, we naturally fast over night, so the easiest way to "fast" is to extend this.
I'm going to try some of their recommended methods and report back to let yall know how it goes!

Replies

• kiwiapplepear
    kiwiapplepear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Really interesting, I am certainly way less hungry during the day, it seems so much more manageable to fast now my blood sugars are under control, many people used to eat like this especially farming, wake up early do physical work and then have a larger brunch eggs and bacon, work all day till working up a huge appetite , no snacks and have a large meal with meat and veges, this is how my grandparents ate, my grandmother had huge meals in the evening and remained very trim all her life even after 5 kids... never had puddings etc... sweets were only for special occasions and you went full hog.
  • sisisisepuede
    sisisisepuede Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    so true....with all of our snack foods and "on-the-go" stuff it's no wonder we have an obesity epidemic! Now I just need to find a farm to work on :)
  • shelleigh30
    shelleigh30 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So, have you been trying it? I want to do it as well to get me into Ketosis, but I read a lot of articles stating that it throws womens' hormones out of wack. What has your experience been so far? The last 3 days I've had a BPC in the morning and then waited to eat until 10 am...as opposed to 6 am.
  • irishsanorge
    irishsanorge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ive tried keto diet and intermittent at the same time and it really works for me
  • jeffersoncamp1
    jeffersoncamp1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find info on tracking keto diet on myfitnesspal. Any sugestions?
  • maria4560h
    maria4560h Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can track the keto on this site. At times it don’t work quite right and you have to change the settings of how much carbs fats and proteins you want. It may say what you’re asking isn’t allowed at times but it is. Just adjust once to a closer setting by 5G then adjust again. It will allow it. It really does.